Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Laptop Appears to be Going Slower

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

tokarev
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Laptop Appears to be Going Slower Reply with quote

Hi,

I have noticed that things on my laptop are taking a much longer time to complete than before (been noticing this for the last couple of weeks)

For example converting an Avi to a DVD file takes twice as long as it used to and encoding dvd's using dvd shrink are taking 3 or 4 times as long as they used to. I have done a virus scan already and there are no viruses (even the virus scan is taking 3 or 4 times longer to complete!) - there are no other programs running when i do this aswell.

Just wondering what could be causing it to slow down. I am thinking of doing an OS reinstall (but want to make sure it isn't somthing else first, because an OS reinstall is a pain in the ass! Razz)

Cheers.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a Dell?

tokarev
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! How did ya know. Surprised Thumbs Up

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because they're wank.

Asuming that you've done nothing with it i'd start with a disk cleanup up.

Quote:
You can start Disk Cleanup, by doing any of the following:
• Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type cleanmgr, and then click OK.

-or-
• Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Disk Cleanup.

-or-
• In Windows Explorer or My Computer, right-click the disk in which you want to free up space, click Properties, click the General tab, and then click Disk Cleanup.

Then give it a defrag. -All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Disk Defrag.

Any more than that and i'm lost.

tokarev
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah somthing dodgy going on with this piece of shit laptop...check out this picture.

The window on the right is what it should be (1.5 GHz) and the window on the left is a diagnostic tool which is saying the CPU is running at 600Mhz!!

https://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7295/cpuspeeds8dp.png

No wonder. I just checked the fan and it is not working either (even when laptop has been in use for long time), which probably means that the CPU is fecked. Sad

I will give your suggestion a try and if still not working, I will have to call Dell and get them to fix it.

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pentium M (Mobile) it means when it's doing naff all it'll normally underclock it's self so that it uses less power...

You can change this by going into control panel, power options and changing it from laptop to desktop normally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I'd seriously consider uping the memory if i were you, Atleast to 512 although a gig may be a better idea depending on what your laptop will take.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cagiva gezzer wrote:
Is it a Dell?

cagiva gezzer wrote:
Because they're wank.

Couldn't agree more.

tokarev
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try these suggestions out, until I find a solution to the problemo, once I have found it, I will post and say what it is. Thumbs Up

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:12 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, like the Centrino, the new mobile AMDs have Speedstep Technology - basically lowers the clock speed of the CPU during idle/office taks and runs it on max. when playin games etc.

I don't know about the Intel, but with the AMD you can disable the Speedstep so it runs on full speed all the time Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jamie.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you scanned for spyware? Its the most common cause of a slow computer. Also about the dell thing, every laptop is made from the same parts, so thats bollox. Alough dell DO get the seconds from factories and "fix" then to use in their computers / laptops, Hense why they are so much cheaper amoug other things

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcIdBuRnZ wrote:
Also, like the Centrino, the new mobile AMDs have Speedstep Technology - basically lowers the clock speed of the CPU during idle/office taks and runs it on max. when playin games etc.

I don't know about the Intel, but with the AMD you can disable the Speedstep so it runs on full speed all the time Thumbs Up

Usually changing the power options in control panel from laptop to desktop does the trick... certainly on the old p3 "mobiles" and my athlon 2500 laptop.

tokarev
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I tried doing the power options but it had no affect.

So I opened up the laptop and took of the keyboard etc... had a look inside and tinkered a little bit. Also checked out the fan and removed some dust etc from the fan/cpu area. Put it back together and now it is working fast again.

When I use the diagnostic tool this time it states the speed as 1500MHz which is correct rather than the 600MHz as before. Also Converted a DVD (ripped the one I rented out Razz ) and then converted an avi to a DVD and it did them both fast (like how it should do it).

So all is working ok now and hopefully it will stay that way. I can only think that the fan/CPU area was clogged with dust? Can't really say what else would have caused it.

lanester
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:19 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newest pentiums have thermal throttleback on the CPU, so if the heat sink was covered in dust & or the fan wasn't working. The CPU would lower its speed to reduce the heat output of the CPU so it would't fry the chip, It would then speed up once the CPU has cooled enough. Which would explain after giving it a clean it worked fine again.

tokarev
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lanester wrote:
The newest pentiums have thermal throttleback on the CPU, so if the heat sink was covered in dust & or the fan wasn't working. The CPU would lower its speed to reduce the heat output of the CPU so it would't fry the chip, It would then speed up once the CPU has cooled enough. Which would explain after giving it a clean it worked fine again.

Ahhh, yes that seems to be what had probably happened. The fan is spinning right now and so doing its job. But before there was some debris blocking the fan from spinning (little white piece of paper or somthing like that and some dust) which I removed when I opened the up the laptop.

Here is what the diagnostic prog shows now...I am going to get another 256MB ram module put inside aswell, just to improve performance a little.

https://img381.imageshack.us/img381/5889/asitshouldbe2qk.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 351 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1