Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any young drivers with a ford transit or similar van? Korn??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 18:02 - 07 May 2006    Post subject: Any young drivers with a ford transit or similar van? Korn?? Reply with quote

Anyone around 20 years old with no NCB driving a Ford Transit or similar?? How much do you pay insurance?? Or is it impossible to get for young drivers??

Van is for personal use only, no commerical. Will prob just be a basic transit, around 1996, SWB standard roof etc.. (not lwb or high top etc) and prob only worth a grand max..

I have no NCB for car and 1 accident claim.

I know korn has a transit and is similar age/driving experience, how much do you pay??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 07 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a 1.9D berlingo van with work. I hold the record for the most expensive insurance policy on the company. Held the licence for less than a year, and afaik it was over £1.5 k for the policy with a huge excess.

They won’t tell me just how much it was. Think that’s to scare me into looking after it….

Could be useful

Cillit-BANG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 07 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was 23, 0 ncd, VW Transporter bought for £1000, I paid £900 tpft with Direct Choice.

Commercial vehicles are expensive to insure, but then anything at your age with 0 no claims will be. I think it may have something to do with the huge amounts of them that are stolen for their contents ie. £2-5K worth of power-tools that most tradesmen carry.

I now pay about £400 fully comp on a X-reg Transporter, 3 years later with no claims.

Ant
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 07 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i pay £600 for my transit (2002 swb) thats at 23 with full no claims but with 12 points!

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 20:04 - 07 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant wrote:
i pay £600 for my transit (2002 swb) thats at 23 with full no claims but with 12 points!

That's not too bad really considering.. you're only just over 2 years older than me but driving a much newer van.. im only looking at a 96-98 sort of age basic transit and i dont have that many points on my licence so maybe i might get a realistic quote.. havent actually had any quotes yet, tried one online and it told me it couldnt do it and to ring them, haha just assumed the worst!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 22:56 - 07 May 2006    Post subject: Re: Any young drivers with a ford transit or similar van? Ko Reply with quote

Sparks! wrote:
I know korn has a transit and is similar age/driving experience, how much do you pay??

This year it was £370 TPFT with Norwich Union, van is a '93 2.5l hi-top long wheelbase Transit worth £2k, I'm 23 years old with 4 years NCB and 3 points, car licence held for 2 years.

Tesco are good for insuring a van first time out, as you can use any bike NCB you might have lying around. That's what I did last year, t'was something like £520 TPFT using my 3 years of bike NCB.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 23:06 - 07 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Korn, I just done a quote on Tesco and it come to £1500 TPF&T which by time I do some ringing around etc should be down to about £1000 which is reasonable enough I reckon.. I pay £1000 for my 2ltr turbo diesel peugeot now so won't be much different really.. so looks like I'll deffo be getting a van!! Just need to sell the pug.. hmm

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

would it be worth phoning up your existing insurance company, and asking how much of a premium it would be to transfer the insurance over? Karma Thumbs Up

Cillit-BANG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find insurance gets cheaper as the van gets newer and more difficult to steal.

Mine went down by nearly £400 from an old J-plate to an X-plate.

Out of interest are you swapping from a car to a transit because you need to or because you want to?

After 3-4 years in a van I can definately say I would much prefer to run a car if I could, and just hire 1 for the times when it's needed.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 20:40 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cillit-BANG wrote:
You may find insurance gets cheaper as the van gets newer and more difficult to steal.

Mine went down by nearly £400 from an old J-plate to an X-plate.

Out of interest are you swapping from a car to a transit because you need to or because you want to?

After 3-4 years in a van I can definately say I would much prefer to run a car if I could, and just hire 1 for the times when it's needed.

You need to be 21 to hire vans and I think you need a few years driving experience.. so thats out of question really... 90% of my car use is taking my bike about and im fed up of struggling with the trailer and sticking to 60mph everywhere.. so best and most suitable option is a transit van.. i dont use it much other than the bike so i can live with the impractical aspects of it and it'd be handy to carry spares and tools and shit in the van..

been offered a 98 TD transit so might consider that one if i can sell car in time.

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

In work they tried to get me insured on the vans, 00 lwb transit and 97 swb transit, no one would touch me at all.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 359 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1