Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Three Points or do a Course

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that's the problem. There are ops you can have now you know. Laughing

To be honest, I think I have a fair point and you know it. Why upgrade?

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:06 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm changing from a Sprint ST to a GS1200R.
I don't know if it's upgrade or not.
I have had a good 'shot' on the GS1200R and like the handling characteristics.
And I carry a load of shit when touring/shopping.

Your point is what?
The bigger the bike the faster you go?

I like to assume that the combination of Selected Gear & Throttle Position determine how fast I go.

But you may join the ranks here and disagree with that.

Coz the mass is more doesn't mean it's velocity is increased.

God.... Not more physics. It's too early.

And where in the guide to posting at BCF did it mention that you are not allowed to obey speed limits?

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is mere conjecture, with which I see you are well versed. Have I mentioned you not obeying the speed limits?

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
I have never, and probably never will, use a speedo for cornering. Aye carumba, the mere thought! I judge my speed for such maneouvers by 'feel'.

I completely agree with that. The times I'm distracted and look at the speedo rather than riding the road are the times I'm not safe and flowing.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainesefreak wrote:
My point is mere conjecture, with which I see you are well versed. Have I mentioned you not obeying the speed limits?

Oh FFS. I knew you would do that.

It was nothing to do with what you said.
It has everything to do with this thread.

Look up conjecture as The Good Dr. Stinkwheel has already done.

It's not an indicator of ESN. It is a very eloquent habit to adopt though.

I don't think I have based my statement on conjecture.
The referance is available but most of it is a given.
It can clutter exchange to need to post reference for every fact.
This is a chat forum thread not a dissertation.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
Walloper wrote:
So Siggi....
You say you don't use a speedo?

How do you judge your cornering speed?
Is it just by chance or a divine intervention?

I trust it's through experience from various (hair raising) episodes.

You don't look at your speedo but you are aware of your speed in relation to the enviroment.
Speed Awareness is similar to Spacial Awareness.
It's to do with one's perception.

You constantly (tho you may be unaware) make decisions on your speed into a corners based on your relative velocity with respect to your surroundings.

To fast you come off.
To slow you get passed.

It's the same in 30mph limits.
You should be aware of your speed without having to look at your speedo all the time.

I don't think my bikes got a speedo Laughing

BTW
Whilst your running through the forrest watch out for trees.

I have never, and probably never will, use a speedo for cornering. Aye carumba, the mere thought! I judge my speed for such maneouvers by 'feel'.

Elsewhere, when confronted with a scamera, I most certainly do use my speedo. You think I want a £30 fine and three points on my licence because I was doing 32 in a fucking 30? Rolling Eyes

Oh this is hard work being a teacher.

You do not need your speedo to tell what speed you are doing. Yes. You are now towing the line.

Where are they giving out the 30 quid speeding fines?
I was informed that it was £60 and three points.

FYI speed measuring equipment is calibrated and an allowance is made of 10% over the speed limit.
I'll do the arithmetic for you.

10% of 30
= 3
3 + 30
= 33

So you would probably be OK at 32mph.
Providing your speedo is not under estimating actual speed.

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now I'm predictable! I can't see this relationship lasting.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 13:38 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
...this is hard work being a teacher....speed measuring equipment is calibrated and an allowance is made of 10% over the speed limit....

Then don't make schoolboy errors.
If it's calibrated then, by definition, there's no need for an error allowance as large as 10%.

Some police speedo's are calibrated. Certainly those fitted to ST1100/STX1300/BMWs are.
That means they can nick you for speeding based on their own speed reading.

An uncalibrated speedo has, as you say, a nominal 10% error margin.

HTH to clarify Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:41 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:

any news on that speeding thing where some people thought u might get a ban ?
was that on the bike that didnt have a speedo drive ?

No news yet and yes it was on a bike with no speedo.

The presence or otherwise of a functioning speedometer was not a factor in this case as it would have made no difference to the speed I was riding at. Nor was its absence mentioned during the stop. I was fully aware that I was doing considerably more than the posted speed limit so the speedo was irrelevant.

On the subject of swerving while braking hard.

It is perfectly possible to brake so hard that the rear wheel is off the ground whilst steering round an obstacle on the road. I know, because I've done it.

If you have been riding a bike (or driving a car) for a few years and still find yourself locking the wheels when presented with an emergency braking situation, you really oughtn't to be on the road. Even in a car, locking the wheels is highly detrimantal to your ability to stop as well as (as has been exhaustively discussed) your ability to decide where the car is going.

Just think about the test. What happens if you skid (for anything more than the briefest of times) on the emergency stop? You fail, that's what.

The only situation I can think of where it is appropriate to lock the wheels is when driving in snow.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:57 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:

FYI speed measuring equipment is calibrated and an allowance is made of 10% over the speed limit.
I'll do the arithmetic for you.

10% of 30
= 3
3 + 30
= 33

So you would probably be OK at 32mph.
Providing your speedo is not under estimating actual speed.

Those are the guidelines (well, actually the guidelines are usually more complex than that - maybe that was what you were told because it was easier. If they feel like it, they can do you for 71mph when your limit is 70mph.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:03 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

map old fruit.
Calibration does not mean accuracy.

calibration

n : the act of checking or adjusting (by comparison with a standard) the accuracy of a measuring instrument; "the thermometer needed calibration"

You will have what's known to the informed among us (not necessarly you) a value of 'Tolerance'.

Not error.
Tolerance.
May seem the same thing to you mate but they are worlds apart in real life.

Here's some referance for the others:

https://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/stopping.htm

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:05 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:

Here's some referance for the others:

https://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/stopping.htm

Those figures are not correct for the vehicles I drive.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel, you say, "The only situation I can think of where it is appropriate to lock the wheels is when driving in snow."

When the wheels 'lock' the friction between tyre and road surface has been overcome.
Because of this there is no longer any effective deceleration from braking and one is solely relying on wind resistance.

On any surface this is true.
You will continue at the same speed and in the same direction until a force causes change in that state.
ie hit a wall, a car of a farmer's field.

ABS works on the principle of Cadence braking.
Which slows a wheel until it just about STOPS then releases the brake before the wheel locks.
This can reduce stopping distance in some circumstances but ultimately it allows a vehicles lateral direction to be controlled too.
(Or Steered)

For example.
Articulated trucks commonly suffer from the effects of wheel lock and jack knife. Where the trailer continues past the tractor when the brake is applied.
This is due to weight displacement on the axle and other things.
But when ABS is fitted this will not happen as the trailer brakes will never lock the wheels so the vehicle can brake in a straight line.

Most vehicles are fitted with a valve between front and rear brakes which senses weight shift and limits applied pressure to the rear brakes. By pass this valve and you will lock the rear brakes almost every time you brake.

I may have missed a few points or details but the facts can be corroborated.
I do not know how much corroboration it takes at bcf as no amount of sound evidence can convince some folks.

I'm off to the P.O. but will check in later.

Be kind to each other.
And to your patients Stinky. Karma

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:41 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but in snow, you are driving on top of it. If you lock the wheels, they wear down through the snow to the tarmac underneath which has a far greater amount of grip.

Obviously only works in certain depths of snow, but it does work.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Yeah, but in snow, you are driving on top of it. If you lock the wheels, they wear down through the snow to the tarmac underneath which has a far greater amount of grip.

Obviously only works in certain depths of snow, but it does work.

Some credit in that maybe.

I suppose also if its deep and soft enough it would create so much resistance it would be like driving on a dry beach type-of-thing.

I admit that was conjecture there.
But it was meant only as discussion.

>Exits to Towncentre As they rain down the wrath of the forum upon me for a contradicting myself.< Laughing

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 15:49 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as speed limits and stopping distances go, I'm troubled by the mass generalisations and outdated rules.

The stopping distances quotes in the highway code come from the old days of drum brakes and old tyre technology. As often demonstrated on a variety of motoring programs, moden cars on modern tyres can often pull up in about half the recommended distance.

Equally, some people have vehicles which would be doing well to pull up inside the ageing stopping distance, thanks to crap tyres, faulty (or just poor) brakes or various other mechanical maladies.

I'd like to see traffic prosecutions taking more into account than a simple 'you were exceeding this limit'. Say I'm out on my sportsbike on a nice sunny day. My brakes are about as good as brakes get, my tyres are sticky as hell, and I'm relatively skilled in bringing my vehicle to an abrupt halt. So I'm doing 35mph? Big deal, I can haul this puppy up in (say) a third of the distance that the G reg Golf on remoulds behind me can.

Likewise, when its wet and I'm out in my Laguna, I tend to drive below the speed limit. Not for visibility reasons... I do it because I know my car has utterly shite tyres and is really easy to lock up under braking on a greasy road. So as soon as the heavens open, I'm the queen of stopping distance since I have no desire to slither uncontrollably into the back of the vehicle in front. 35mph in that 30 zone? Maybe not.

What's my point? I guess I'd like to see some leeway given due to the performance of your vehicle. Top Gear not so long ago showed the SLR (I think) stopping from 120 in the space it was supposed to take it to stop from 60. If the speed limits are there largely because they want you to be able to stop quickly when faced with a potential collision, then the speed of stopping should be more relevant than the speed of travel.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 15:51 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
...Tolerance...

Ask Oxford wrote:
Tolerance...an allowable amount of variation of a specified quantity, especially in the dimensions of a machine or part.
Ask Oxford wrote:
Error...a measure of the estimated difference between the observed or calculated value of a quantity and its true value.

So tolerance is an allowable amount of variation from the true value and error is a measurement of the variation from the true value.

So any speedometer that isn't calibrated has a % error. A speedometer that is calibrated has a tolerance.

Other than that I think I've missed any point your were trying to make because of your trivial asides, as you seem adamant and ignore any point I make.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next he'll be telling you he wants a bigger bike because it's easier to stick to 30mph on. Rolling Eyes Wink

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:02 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
...So I'm doing 35mph...I can haul this puppy up in (say) a third of the distance that the G reg Golf on remoulds behind me can. ....

...and that makes you feel safer how?

No real point, just asking the question.

With speeding and stopping distances I think a point has been missed.
The police system states that you should ride at a speed where you can stop in the distance that you can see.

It is far safer to be able to judge what's ahead, or coming up behind, and ride accordingly. This may involve exceeding the speed limit.

In summary, the point I've been trying to make is you ride to the conditions and your ability.

...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they elso tell you that a kitten dies everytime you break the speed limit? Wink

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 16:10 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:

...and that makes you feel safer how?

It doesn't make me feel any safer about getting whacked up the arse by a shit car behind me! One reason I generally avoid hard braking if there's anything behind me.

But if I was on my own it means that should a small child run out in front of me (at the recommended stopping distance for 30mph), I consider myself more able to stop the bike from 35 without hitting him than I feel able to stop my car from 30 without hitting him.

Legally, I could be prosecuted for the safer scenario.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy: welcome.

I think I posted waaaaay back that the ‘Old Stopping Distances’ have not been changed due to several conditions:

For those who joined us after the break:

“In addition:

Over the years "stopping distances" have been argued as no longer appropriate for today's modern "high tech" vehicles, often equipped with sophisticated braking systems and on board computers

But not everyone drives modern "high tech" vehicles
Picture the driver with a highly modified 10 year old vehicle
Fitted with a state of the art music system
And a state of the art lighting system: often underneath the car
With a braking system that uses 10 year old technology
Driven by someone with 10 months driving experience

That's why "stopping distances" haven't attempted to keep up with technology.”

I don’t believe this statement got much of a root in the dense woodwork here.

map

You are not helping me to understand your side by insulting me.

I do read and understand your points.

I do not agree with all of them. My right.

I don’t think there is much you can say about a system which compensates for the ‘errors’ tolerated by modern vehicle manufactures.
The 10% error is rather a lot.
We have speedometers and all that electronic wizardry on board our vehicles for decoration and ergonomic purpose.
It’s got nothing to do with the fact that as Homosapiens we are shite at judging speed and are forced employ intricate distance/time machines to aid our instinctive perception within our suroundings.
We, as God or whatever made us, were never designed to move at much more than the speed of a man running barefoot. (Olympians and Scouse/Weegie shoplifters excepted.)

Our skill at judging speeds much above that has to be learned.
Some learn faster than others. And some will never learn. Sadly.

My trivial asides?

I started the thread with a statement about my speeding ticket and results of the corrective measures offered by the police.

I do believe what was pointed out at the workshop was meaningful and not brainwashing.
But as is the norm, as I mentioned in my intitial post, some at bcf are anarchists bent on revenge and cynical retribution against any and all kinds of authority.
Who can’t even read the letters on their screen .

If it wasn’t for people measuring things and learning from the mistakes of others we would be extinct.
Natural Selection Law.

It takes legislation to keep fools alive.
Personally I don’t care if one guy wishes to leave us all in a hurry.
I just hope his family and friends are ready for his off. (and hope I owe him money.)

Mr Jamez:

Did they elso tell you that a kitten dies everytime you break the speed limit?

I’ll give you their contact details and you can advise them of that one.

dainesefreak

Next he'll be telling you he wants a bigger bike because it's easier to stick to 30mph on.

Christ…! Shocked

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:23 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, he is obviously trying to wind us up as he often does.

Leave him alone.

If he really does believe in what he was told then god help him and those on the road around him.

All the best

Keith

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:59 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Come on, he is obviously trying to wind us up as he often does.

Leave him alone.

If he really does believe in what he was told then god help him and those on the road around him.

All the best

Keith

No I'm not winding anyone up.
I think some are just reading the wrong papers.

Road Safety is not a conspiracy.

RTA injurys and deaths are decreasing due to many factors.
Such as:
Better vehicle and road design.
Training for road users.
Speed control measures. (Whether physical or legislative).

I do not necessarily love speed traps or sleeping policemen but I know for a fact we brought them on ourselves by our hooligan attitude to road safety.

I bet there is even one of the BCFers would say the recent ads on TV highlighting drivers neglect towards motorbikes was rubbish and not worth showing. Shocked

I do believe the best and most cost effective way to reduce accidents is by training and better design.

Fines and points do not stop accidents.

But camera schemes are paying for preventive steps.
And someone is making a profit from our misery.
So what!
Undertakers and gravediggers are in on it too. Let cut that lot a new arsehole while we're at it.

Contradict that and you prove yourself unwilling to learn.

So any legal eagles in da BCF house wish to make point on that?

Feel free.

I could be here allnight

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
If the govt want to reduce biker deaths on the roads they can use some of the millions raised by scameras to:

Remove fucking manhole covers from corners.
Fit mesh to body-disintegrator central dividers.
Fit deflectors to the base of posts and poles etc.
Fill the fucking potholes that festoon our roads.

Or, and here's a novel idea, USE SOME OF THE FUCKING ROAD TAX WE PAY FOR THE FUCKING ROADS!

Not one thing I could write to better those point Siggi

'cept:

Take all those silly arsed Objets D' art that festoon/fester our towns from the roadside too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 341 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6