Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

London to Brighton cycle (Part 3: sponsorship/plan for day)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 18 May 2006    Post subject: London to Brighton cycle (Part 3: sponsorship/plan for day) Reply with quote

Arrow How's everyone getting on? I've completely forgotten who's going!

Arrow Has anyone got an idea for a meet-up point?

Arrow Are we going to get there early so we can have a chat/bacon butty?

Arrow Are we aiming for a 'team' effort or has anyone got a personal time they are going for?

I've raised £75 so far (personal target is £85).

Tina (the girlfriend) has the same target and I think she's over it already.

Cheers,

Phil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:39 - 20 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting on... well I've started thinking of excuses if that counts. Razz

Ideas for a meet-up point... dunno, will other people be taking phones along?

Getting there early... hopefully not.

Aiming for a team effort... everyone finishing? Personal time I'm going for is less than 24hrs. Wink

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 17:11 - 20 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raised about £100 so far, might be able to get £150, not sure.

Meeting up will involve using phones to locate at the time.

The team effort will involve waiting for/pushing g along, so no rush.

Reevo8
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:
Raised about £100 so far, might be able to get £150, not sure.

Meeting up will involve using phones to locate at the time.

The team effort will involve waiting for/pushing g along, so no rush.

As much as I know the G man is a good bloke, that would kinda ruin the enjoyment if you were to stop every hill and push him up, or stop every mile and wait.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:26 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reevo8 wrote:

As much as I know the G man is a good bloke, that would kinda ruin the enjoyment if you were to stop every hill and push him up, or stop every mile and wait.

That's why I'm goign to attach tow ropes to all them members Very Happy.

Incidentally, while I'm not sure if the rear motorbike wheel will happen; I've stuck an extra 40kg of weight on my test bike. Managed to get up the very steep hill behind my house with only one stop.
Total bike weight came out at 77kg, which is way over what I'm expecting.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't even started to get sponsors yet, so I really need to get on with that. Confused

I'm probably as fit as I ever have been but that isn't saying much. Laughing I've not even done a 30 mile ride yet (longest run I've done is about 26 miles on/off road I think) so whether or not my body will fall apart after the half-way point we will have to see.

Incidentally does anyone know what the situation is likely to be with bikes going on the trains after the ride? My guess is loads of people will be wanting to do that, but if the train companies are sticking with some stupid 'only 3 bikes per train' rule then there could be problems...

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom wrote:
Incidentally does anyone know what the situation is likely to be with bikes going on the trains after the ride?...

I'm pretty sure all the train companies in the area are not letting bikes on their tains at all over that weekend.

Ste, I'm with you on the personal target, sounds realistic.

G, you've been riding a 77kg bike up hills!? Shocked
I'd be more than happy for you to attach a tow rope to me, they work both ways after all!

As for contacts, I'm happy to PM my mobile number. A place would be good as I have no idea what most of you look like!

Good effort on the fund raising stakes Reuben!

Phil

Hill intolerant
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Reevo8
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, the bike I used for London Sothend was about 4X lighter than G's I think!

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 02 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'm going to have some problems with transport. Initial plan was trains/a lift from the rents, but I've just rang South West trains re getting from brighton to havant (my local station) and they say they're not going to change their normal system (max 6 bikes per train, only 27,000 bikes taking part ffs!). And my parents have decided to go on holiday that weekend, having previously offered me a lift. So I'm a bit screwed. Confused

I probably could get the train to london the night beforehand and stay at my uncle's, but I can't see how I can get back from Brighton after the ride.

How's everyone else getting to london/from brighton?

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 20:41 - 02 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom wrote:
Looks like I'm going to have some problems with transport. Initial plan was trains/a lift from the rents, but I've just rang South West trains re getting from brighton to havant (my local station) and they say they're not going to change their normal system (max 6 bikes per train, only 27,000 bikes taking part ffs!). And my parents have decided to go on holiday that weekend, having previously offered me a lift. So I'm a bit screwed. Confused

I probably could get the train to london the night beforehand and stay at my uncle's, but I can't see how I can get back from Brighton after the ride.

as far as i know, the way train tickets work, is you can take whatever route you like to get somewhere, so you could just take a route which most ppl wth bikes wdnt be going on.

after london to brighton run is done, there may be a lot of people with bikes at brighton station, but you could just bike it to the station one up the line, and get on the train with your bike before it gets to brighton, it goes to brighton, another 5 bikes get on, and it goes to london

or you could get another train that goes along the coast to southampton or something and then have a route that goes from there

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 23:25 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom wrote:

Where does your uncle live? I should have van space for a lift back to London after we finish though it may have to be in the back...

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 04 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the offer Korn, I appreciate it. Fortunately it looks like I don't have a problem anymore though as my folks told me today that actually they hadn't booked it yet and could go the weekend after, so lifts should be fine. Very Happy (Why they failed to mention that on Friday I don't know Doh!)

Anyway, two weeks to go - how are people getting on? G, you still doing the Bike of Death?

I did a 27 miler today which took me about 2.5 hours all on road with a few nasty hills thrown in. I felt like I could go on quite a lot longer without dying, so I reckon the ride shouldn't be too bad. (Famous last words...)

I do seem to have a broken bike though. Does anyone know what needs replacing when you get a clicking noise from the front sprocket area when you are pedalling hard? I'll take it all apart tomorrow evening anyway, hopefully it's something obvious enough.

(Oh and byke, you do have a bike now, yep? Razz)

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:47 - 05 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to no bikes allowed on trains I saw an article years ago in a bmx magazine about ways of getting around it.

Basically they made a sort of suitcase out of their bike a bit like this picture I just knocked up.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/bieksuitcase.jpg

Their version had a skateboard base to make it easier to move about but I think if you could take the wheels off your bike and cable tie them to your bike frame somehow and then cover it with something no one would bat an eyelid as it'd just be like a big suitcase you could put in the luggage bit of the carrige near the doors.

Alternatively if you knew someone with a bike bag designed for taking bikes on planes perhaps you could borrow that as again, I doubt anyone would know what was in it and you could leave it in the luggage bit of the carriage.

HTH

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 11:17 - 05 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do seem to have a broken bike though. Does anyone know what needs replacing when you get a clicking noise from the front sprocket area when you are pedalling hard? I'll take it all apart tomorrow evening anyway, hopefully it's something obvious enough.

Most likely that the Derauillier(sp) just need's adjusting.

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take the recent silence of the london to brighton cycle means everyone has been far to busy training and eating complex carbs to even think about posting! Razz

I'm so screwed, I haven't trained half as much as I should have!

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 16:47 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does chocolate cake count as complex carbs? Shifty

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 17:31 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea. Laughing

What's happening about transport home, is anyone heading toward's South London that could drop me off? If not I can get my own lift back.

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korn wrote:

I've been classing beer and nuts so chocolate cake is in for sure!

We need some sort of plan as far as meeting up goes:

Anyone got any ideas of how we can share mobile numbers sagfely? Or, as G is our team leader, should we just PM him mobile numbers?

I'm hoping we stay reasonably together throughout but my girlfriend isn't confident she'll be able to keep up (yes, my girlfriend, I'll have no problem at all Shifty ). Either way, it'd be nice to have a chat with you all before we set off and even better if we plan some kind of meet up point in Brighton for a well earned beer at the end of the day before we all head home.

BHF advise that riders "should not" turn up more than 30 mins before, anyone got any ideas where we can meet up?

Reuben wrote:
What's happening about transport home, is anyone heading toward's South London that could drop me off? If not I can get my own lift back.

I'm stopping over at a mates house on the Sunday who lives in Brighton (and I live in Bournemouth anyways) so I can't help you on that one.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

byke95 wrote:
Korn wrote:

I've been classing beer and nuts so chocolate cake is in for sure!

We need some sort of plan as far as meeting up goes:

Anyone got any ideas of how we can share mobile numbers sagfely? Or, as G is our team leader, should we just PM him mobile numbers?

I'm hoping we stay reasonably together throughout but my girlfriend isn't confident she'll be able to keep up (yes, my girlfriend, I'll have no problem at all Shifty ). Either way, it'd be nice to have a chat with you all before we set off and even better if we plan some kind of meet up point in Brighton for a well earned beer at the end of the day before we all head home.

BHF advise that riders "should not" turn up more than 30 mins before, anyone got any ideas where we can meet up?

Reuben wrote:

I'm stopping over at a mates house on the Sunday who lives in Brighton (and I live in Bournemouth anyways) so I can't help you on that one.

On the phone number thing, just put it in your 'personal details' in your profile and then set everyone doing the london-brighton as a friend. Then they can see it by clicking your profile link and nobody else can. I just added you, ste, korn, reuben and g, is that everyone?

Personally I'd be happy taking it really easy for the first half and then see if I've got anything in reserve for the second half (ha! Laughing). Unless we go reeeaally slowly I'm gonna need a decent 30 minute plus break at some point I reckon. Won't be breaking any records, that's for sure.

As far as meeting up, I don't know the area at all, but it would be good if we could catch up before we had to get moving. If anyone knows somewhere good then I'm all for that. I'm guessing that finding each other when there are thousands of other cyclists in a few square miles could be tricky.

I'd love to know how much training you guys have all put in, you're not all doing 60 milers every weekend for training are you? Neutral

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:17 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Training... did 30 miles off road yesturday morning and am going to do London to Brighton distance tomorrow.

There should be plently of stopping for breaks Dom at pubs along the way.

Who'll be the first to get a puncture then? Razz

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:26 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done about Sweet FA, thanks to busyness, work, a dodgy back and crashing motorbikes the last two weekends Neutral.

So, looks like no super heavy bike for me as my back is still aching.
Hopefully will have a big fairing, though may not do that either Sad - as ever it is with me, hopefully have it sorted for 'next time'.

I'll try and get a list of everyone's phone numbers and sort somewhere to meet.

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 00:14 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been out on my pushbike a few times but nowhere near enough to be called "training". Will probably die at some point along the way... Embarassed

What sort of time are we aiming for? Apparently 6/7 hours is the "average" once you include the rest & water stops.

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom wrote:
On the phone number thing, just put it in your 'personal details' in your profile and then set everyone doing the london-brighton as a friend. Then they can see it by clicking your profile link and nobody else can. I just added you, ste, korn, reuben and g, is that everyone?

I'd love to know how much training you guys have all put in, you're not all doing 60 milers every weekend for training are you? Neutral

Nice idea Dom, thanks Thumbs Up You are all now my friends, like it or not!

I didn't even own a bike prior to deciding to do the BHF ride, I got a speedo when I bought the bike: my total training (over 6 weeks) has been 70 miles.

Ste's 30 mile a day/full route training has gotten me slightly worried!

Korn wrote:
I've been out on my pushbike a few times but nowhere near enough to be called "training". Will probably die at some point along the way...

What sort of time are we aiming for? Apparently 6/7 hours is the "average" once you include the rest & water stops.

There are 5 rest stops along the way (so every 10 miles or so). I rekon we should use them.

As we're starting at 9am a time of 7/8 hours is apparently the norm as we will get 'held' up by the slower of the earlier starters.

Thank god for slow riders!

In all (after these recent posts) I'm looking forward to it: we all sound similar in our abilities, should be a laugh! G, bring those ropes you mentioned, we can hook ourselves to Ste!

Is anyone else doing the ride on treaded ('mountain bike') tyres? I was told when i bought it I should get slicks put on but I can't be bothered spending the extra money or time putting them on.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is anyone else doing the ride on treaded ('mountain bike') tyres? I was told when i bought it I should get slicks put on but I can't be bothered spending the extra money or time putting them on.

Course not, mine's a fully tricked out racing machine. Shifty

https://vaya.ws/misc/pushbike/bike1.jpg

And my super-thin slick tyres:

https://vaya.ws/misc/pushbike/bike2.jpg

Laughing

I'd have thought 7 hours or so is a fairly comfortable estimate, but then I've got no idea how hard the route is yet. If it's as hot as it was last weekend that'll make a difference (hopefully it won't be).

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 11:54 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feck me, I just started riding my pushbike and it's bloody hard!

Been doing a loop of 13.5 miles in about 1 hour. Got a proper heart rate monitor and I am getting up to about 191 BPM on the steepest parts of my loop.

Gutted that I didn't enter for this ride now as it would have been good fun!
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 309 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2