BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Piaggio MP3.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 21:01 - 18 May 2006    Post subject: Piaggio MP3. Reply with quote

Just trying to see what people think of this amazing vehicle. Possibly the greatest commuting vehicle for the average commuter, ie non biker. Also very good because it seem's you should still be able to use the 125 version on a CBT.

It also look's like amazing fun, I'm gonna get a test ride ASAP.

https://www.mp3.piaggio.com/index_eng.html

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 18 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO not a propper bike! More like an invalid carrage.......Sorry but Thumbs Down Thumbs Down

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 21:16 - 18 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks crap and too wide to filter with, only really suits people who have no use of there legs who can,t use a normal scooter/motorbike.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:12 - 19 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt I'd ever buy one but I'd love to have a go on one!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:56 - 19 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need one. Laughing
But it's a frikin quad innit?

southlondoner
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:45 - 19 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

quads have 4 wheels - this has 3 Wink

I think it looks interesting - but you wouldnt catch me on it. Anybody know what licence you need to ride it - as technically its a 3 wheeler so should be B1 (Light Car), but someone might know different?

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 19 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its cool, but useless Cool

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 21:38 - 19 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
southlondonerPosted

quads have 4 wheels - this has 3

In that case its a convertable Reliant Robin Wink Razz Razz

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 19 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the only 3 wheeler I would consider Wink ......

https://www.tek-tonic.com/stuff/carver.jpg

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 10:17 - 20 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think its any wider than a normal scooter.

I dont think having a 2nd front wheel is an advantage tho. Particularly as scooters tend to have more weight over the back so if a wheel is gonna slip, its gonna be the back one.

Scooters are nice and nippy, but that 2 wheel steering mechanism will probably stop that one being so nippy.

125 bikes are ok if u only have done your cbt, but since i have done my DAS, I dont think id ever go lower than a 180 now and 250 is better

MRX Steve
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:20 - 20 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no point in it unless the rider cant use their legs, i really don't see it catching on.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 43 days between these two posts...

Kopfjagerstu
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:30 - 02 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just joined this forum, so this is my first posting.
I've had my MP3 250cc for 4 months, I travel 40 miles to and from work each day, and I must say I do enjoy riding it. I had a Piaggio B500 before, and Its no wider. It's very easy to get in and around traffic. The extra front wheel does give it very good road handling, I've hit a patch of diesel, and the bike went sideways, but I stayed upright, and I know if I had been on 2 wheels I would have been off. Braking in the wet also gives a good feel of safety, and living in Northamptonshire, we must have some of the worst road surfaces in the county, but the scooter again handles this with ease. I get about 90 mpg I feel very confident riding in whatever the weather.but it also, has a few negatives,
It's heavy, and if your not fully awake, when you have stopped, it is possible to drop it very easily
Lacks top speed, 65mph and there isnt any more twist
The brakes are a little bit of a worry, not stopping, but I went through a set of pads, in under 2000 miles, this is an issue Piaggio are looking into.
The not having to put your feet down, takes a lot of practise, and i havent mastered it, I prefer to put my feet down when I stop.
I know this scooter is not everyones cup of tea, but I been very pleased with it so far, and I'm going to chop it in for a Gilera Fuoco 500 (same thing with a 500cc lump).

The one thing I do find pleasing is that "Proper Biker" (you guys on 2 wheels), still take the time to give me that nod, as they go past.

LeeR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 02 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike magazine have one on long term test, it's going quite well apparently. If I'd lost a limb I might consider one, but if I was that busted up I'd have to reconsider my mode of transport. Thinking

I'll nod to anyone... I'm not proud Wink

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 02 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRX Steve wrote:
I see no point in it unless the rider cant use their legs, i really don't see it catching on.

And yet, it's selling like hot cakes.

I see quite a few of these in London and they're pretty damn nippy in traffic, including filtering. It's also quite useful going round the corners, as in London, every corner seems to have at least five metal manhole covers. Evil or Very Mad

I'd love to take one for a spin, say around Brands. Laughing

phk6
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:54 - 04 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can see how theyd be realy good in london ect, but for smalley citys i dontthink there smuch need. good alternative
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lukamon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 04 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and BTW, the front wheels are close enough together so legally count as one, so its ok on a bike licence Cool Thumbs Up

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 05 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. Chickwheels.

Should do a fantastic trade in the hairdresser/metrosexual community. And colin1.

No-one with a real pair should be seen anywhere near one - unless they're wheelying past on a proper bike.

Ciar?n
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 07 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, you sad fuckers.

The mp3 250 was fun.

But the Gilera FUOCO (lol) 500 is immense.

We have one at the shop, and we abuse it hardcore.

Stoppies, getting it onto two wheels.
Still can't flip the fucker.
Currently working on a new exhaust to unleash some more power for it.

Sure i'd rather be on an R6.
But don't knock it till you try it.
Loads of fun to be had

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 11 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

southlondoner wrote:
quads have 4 wheels - this has 3 Wink

I think it looks interesting - but you wouldnt catch me on it. Anybody know what licence you need to ride it - as technically its a 3 wheeler so should be B1 (Light Car), but someone might know different?

lukamon wrote:
oh and BTW, the front wheels are close enough together so legally count as one, so its ok on a bike licence Cool Thumbs Up

If it says Motortricycle on the V5c then it requires class B1 which hasn't been issued on Motorcycle licences since we were sold out by the Safer Motorcycling study

(How the fuck it is safer for some no fucking clue car driver to take my trike never having had any instruction than it is for me to take it out I really don't know)

However the same vehicle can have a V5c that reads three wheeled motorcycle (I shit you not) and that is perfectly legal to ride on a motorcycle entitlement of appropriate catagory.

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 15:53 - 11 Jul 2007    Post subject: Re: Piaggio MP3. Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:
Piaggio MP3....Just trying to see what people think of this...

Is this a bit like Harley Davidson selling wrist watches? Can't say I'm impressed. Bit big and I can't see where to plug in the headset. Does it do WAV files and encoded stuff? What's the capacity, is it more than 6Gb?

yes tongue is in my cheek Very Happy

On topic, I'm a fan of the hammerhead trike look. It's just I wouldn't entertain it in scooter with small wheels (IMO kinda defeats the stability issue). Much prefer something like the Can-Am Spyder
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/graphics/2007/06/23/mfbike1.jpg

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:09 - 11 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get your Knee down on them and you can filter. What more do you need! Cool

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 21:31 - 11 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

southlondoner wrote:
...Anybody know what licence you need to ride it - as technically its a 3 wheeler so should be B1 (Light Car), but someone might know different?

They are classed as normal motorbikes, its to do with the distance between the 2 front wheels.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 09:19 - 12 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Ham wrote:
...you can filter. What more do you need! Cool

Have to admit the 500cc Gilera Fuoco (wouldn't like to pronounce that after a few) looks interesting from that point of view. The extra cc should mean some extra horses and top speed Thumbs Up

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/graphics/2007/06/23/mfbike3.jpg

Have to get the missus to have a look as she's got a bad back and was looking at the big 500cc scooters.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 12 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get: it has three wheels, when stopped, how can you drop it?

if you come off, which whay is it gonna go? it surely won't slide down the road like a normal bike? and is it easy to "fish-tail"? Laughing

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 12 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can highside like a normal bike and because it leans to obscene angles it can fall over at the lights if you forget to 'lock' the steering

As I said before licence wise it depends what is written on the V5c. If it says 3 wheeled Motorbicycle then you can ride it under class A. To be honest I think it should be - but it does all depend on what the body has been registered as.

Years ago we had a Mini that was classed on the V5c as an 'invalid carriage' - I've still got the Registration somewhere.

If it says motorised trycycle then you will need class B1 - which if you don't have a full car licence means if you don't have it getting the DVLA to add it as a provisional catagory (which is a cunt of a thing to do) and then only ride when accompanied by someone with a class B1 entitlement or you will have to convert it to a single seater so you can rie it on your own.

Oh and you'll be subject to L plate restrictions of course.

Apparently MAG didn't object to the change as nine out of ten Motorcyclists have Car licences and so it would only affect a minority of Bikers.

Cunts.

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 264 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3