Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike test Earpiece comfy or a pain in the ear?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

DAS Earpieces Comfort?
Are Earpieces Painfull?
80%
 80%  [ 24 ]
Are they Comfy?
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 30

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:48 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Bike test Earpiece comfy or a pain in the ear? Reply with quote

Re: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=83799&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

We as a 'Biker Body' (sort of) should have some clout with DAS.

Can they not take our advice and modify those stupid earpieces they FORCE us to wear during tests?

Just a Wee Sunday Afternoon rant.

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 15:53 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They hurt alot.

After wearing it for 6 hours straight I can safely say that it's bad, especially when you take your helmet off at the end, it really hurts.

But in saying, it's part and parcel of the training which over the course of 3 days was one of the most tiring things I've ever done. Totally shagged out by the end of it, mainly because of the CG, being sat on one for 6 - 7 hours in one day doesn't do you any good, but I passed so in my opinion it is worth all the hassle and pain.

Thumbs Up Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarkJ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends. When I used the earpiece with my riding school's helmets it used to ache a bit, but when I bought my own helmet I forgot it was there because my helmet has a sort of hollow area where my ear can fit into so there is no pressure on my ear from the earpiece.

My school used these:
https://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/10040i0.jpg
I take it that's what everyone else uses?

To be honest, I never knew it was hurting whilst I was riding, it only hurt when I stopped riding and I didn't have to concentrate on riding the bike any more.

ph1l
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:01 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used one of those on my cbt, one part it was to crackly and had to pull over because i couldnt hear the instructor and on way back to centre it kept cutting out.

I had trouble getting it to stay on my ear but when it was on it was alright but abit iritating

Gaz09
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:34 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the same ear piece i had in my test and i found that it was cutting into the side of my ear once i had put my helmet on and found it really annoying that i ahd to wear throughout my test when i wanted to concentrate on my riding not whaqts on my ear!
Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a simiar earpiece on my DAS too.
Similar to MarkJ, I almost forgot it was there during the lesson because I was concentrating on my riding... and only really felt it when it came time to take it off cos my ear was really sore afterwards.

Last edited by Dazbo666 on 14:17 - 24 May 2006; edited 1 time in total

ahallicks
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:48 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it's not only the fact that it's painful, but the fact that if you don't get it in exactly the right place, or you get a dodgy one (as most seem to be) you can't hear a bloody thing out of it!

CBT: I took my CBT, which lasted 6 hours and the beginning was great because we had helmets on but that was it.... could hear easily. However, when we went out on the road my earpiece was in the wrong place and kept cutting out. This meant that the poor teacher was forever having to correct my route because I was going completely the wrong way!

Test: exactly the same thing pretty much, Volume was quiet and the ear piece was crackly. Fortunately I wasn't using it for long but the quality could be greatly improved. However, I guess you have to look at it from a financial position too.... how many schools are that rich that they can get proper padded autocom equipment? The ones I've been to have been local people that are just there to help people pass their test.....

impaler
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:28 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My riding school (Grainger School of Motorcycling) used similar earpieces to those shown above and I don't remember it hurting - I guess it is very helmet dependant. The sound quality was however always good - I had a normal PMR radio at my end, whilst my instructor had a proper plumbed-in affair on his bike, presumably Autocom gear or similar.

I always remember him telling me how the DSA's setup gives crap quality in comparison (my experience certainly agreed with that) yet cost several times more than what he used.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sarge-Devil
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:36 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was me who metioned it in the link Rolling Eyes

I did however think that the radio system the tester used was far more comfy. than the schools ear piece...and much better radio and sound.

What are your exsperiences from the training schools to the test examiners...?

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:04 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my Sony gear connected to the school comms system Thumbs Up
But DAS are adamant you use their 'Approved' earpiece.
Which chucked it half way round my test.
I passed anyway. (Coz I'm a Natural)

The CBT and the DAS are matter of fact. If you can't pass, you should think about a push-bike. Honestly.

Just try to do as the instructor tells you and you will pass.
Inshalla.

impaler
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:24 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some confusion here between the DSA (Driving Standards Agency) and the DAS (Direct Access Scheme)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:34 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably. Embarassed

Merci Professeur Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 337 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1