Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

thinkin of investing in my myself.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Deano
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 23 May 2006    Post subject: thinkin of investing in my myself. Reply with quote

i currently work as a 1st line support analyst for an it company.

im starting to think about doing some module at least for my mcp as I think it will greatly enhance my careeer prospect for the future.

now i havent really looked around yet but doe anyone know what I should be expecting to be pay for training/books/exams etc.

I also work shifts so i would need to fit studying around my akward hours.

thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 24 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the firm, my firm wants experience not MCSCEs.

However I don know a mate did the MCSCEs and he basicaly downloaded all the courses off the net and sat loads of fake tests.

He then booked himself for the exams, I think each examine cost him something like £100 and he sat quite a few of them.

Its true some firms ask for it, but by no means does it make you an expert, real world experience is the key.

My mate who earns the most in IT, didn't even go to UNI, he left school at 18 at worked his way up.

I did the uni route, but thats not a good way either unless it combines with a year out and real experience.

Thus if I were you I would be downloading courses etc off the net and practicing.

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 24 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

do an Advanced ECDL, companies will be climbing all over each other to hire you Thumbs Up

Deano
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 24 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know mate but an mcp does count for something and alot of companies dont even look at your CV without having the qualifaction/certificates.
I know I use to work in recruitment.
i just feel that an MCP will take me alot further or at least give me more options/careers prospects than with what I currently have at the moment my experience is also not the best either so it would benefit me aswell and their isnt the option of where I work to develop my proper IT knowledge further as i mainly support my companys system rather than microsoft. I only really touch it when our system conflicts with it etc.

have you got the link for where your friend download the criteria for his mcse please? I would definately appreciate them.

thanks
I also check what that ECDl is about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 14:40 - 24 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I currently hold a fair number of certifications (MCP, MCSE, A+, N+, CCNA, CCNP) to be honest I've found them to be worth little more than pieces of paper in the past.

However now that I've gained a good five and a bit years experience in a relevent field I'm finding that they are becoming more useful in getting me noticed by potential employers (to the point where I'm being headhunted).

Salary wise they've done nothing to improve my prospects that I couldn't do without a reputation/experience.

Please don't listen to companies advertising on TV etc.. (such as Computeach) promising vast salaries to people with little/no experience in the IT industry as it's taken me five years and a bit years to get a decent position.

A while back an MCP did used to count for a lot, however in the last few years theres been a vast influx of people taking these exams and passing with very little "practical" knowledge (known as paper MCSE's), getting a job in the industry and making a complete cockup. Hence now I've found employers to be looking less and less at MS certifications (specifically the MCSE) with the prestige they once held and some looking at it as a basic entry level certification. It also looks that CCNA's are starting to go down the same route.

I hope this makes sense, if you are fairly fluent with windows , you shouldn't need any training, go ahead and book the client exam (which will earn you your MCP).

Hope this makes sense (I've been at the strong coffee again Rolling Eyes )

Regards

Davo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 24 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCP's are bloody everywhere, I'd go for something a bit more unique.

I went the Oracle DBA route which has done me well. The other popular one which companies cream over is a CCNP, but it's all down to what sort of work you want to do

Saying this companies want experiance over bits of paper.

They will never do you any harm, but to be honest they don't do much good either

All of it.

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 24 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deano wrote:
I also check what that ECDl is about.

don't bother, i was taking the p1ss Laughing

Deano
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 24 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davo wrote:
Hi, I currently hold a fair number of certifications (MCP, MCSE, A+, N+, CCNA, CCNP) to be honest I've found them to be worth little more than pieces of paper in the past.

However now that I've gained a good five and a bit years experience in a relevent field I'm finding that they are becoming more useful in getting me noticed by potential employers (to the point where I'm being headhunted).

Salary wise they've done nothing to improve my prospects that I couldn't do without a reputation/experience.

Please don't listen to companies advertising on TV etc.. (such as Computeach) promising vast salaries to people with little/no experience in the IT industry as it's taken me five years and a bit years to get a decent position.

A while back an MCP did used to count for a lot, however in the last few years theres been a vast influx of people taking these exams and passing with very little "practical" knowledge (known as paper MCSE's), getting a job in the industry and making a complete cockup. Hence now I've found employers to be looking less and less at MS certifications (specifically the MCSE) with the prestige they once held and some looking at it as a basic entry level certification. It also looks that CCNA's are starting to go down the same route.

I hope this makes sense, if you are fairly fluent with windows , you shouldn't need any training, go ahead and book the client exam (which will earn you your MCP).

Hope this makes sense (I've been at the strong coffee again Rolling Eyes )

Regards

Davo

yeah I sort of know most of this, but getting striaght to the point. their is a company that I have my eye on, that i am perfect for as in experience wise but wont even look at me without the mcp on my cv. before I got the job Im in now i use to lots of people ring me saying I would be perfect if i had an mcp and I just know an mcp will still teach me loads that I dont already know.

LOL @ urban racer.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 03:34 - 25 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow i know something !

ECDL is something like european computer driving license, and is the basic stuff like being able to use headings in word. The kind of stuff you do for office work temping agencies to prove you know how to operate a keyboard and mouse.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 351 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1