Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

plusnet broadband a joke!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

brettking24
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:23 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: plusnet broadband a joke!! Reply with quote

Hi just wondering if anyone else uses plusnet broadband,i have been with them for 7 or 8 months and had to upgrade to the premier account asmy dl speeds were a joke,over the last few days my dl speed have been no higher than 20k sec on my mb conection.i would finish with plusnet but im tied to a 12month contract.what other good isp could i try after that dont have a dl usage?

thanks

bret

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Re: plusnet broadband a joke!! Reply with quote

brettking24 wrote:
Hi just wondering if anyone else uses plusnet broadband,i have been with them for 7 or 8 months and had to upgrade to the premier account asmy dl speeds were a joke,over the last few days my dl speed have been no higher than 20k sec on my mb conection.i would finish with plusnet but im tied to a 12month contract.what other good isp could i try after that dont have a dl usage?

thanks

bret

if they are not giving you what you pay for then I suggest you tell them to fuckemself up the arse then move to someone decent such as pipex of zen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 19:01 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get Telewest round were you live then you wont get better imo. no download caps and very reliable speeds aswell.

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with daz - from what i've heard blueyonder are the mutz... just a shame you have to be either a midlander or a northerner to get it generally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlusNet were the 1st ISP to introduce bandwidth caps and impliment some aggressive traffic shaping.
I remember when they 1st started this crap and it kicked off big time on the ADSLGuide forums, me (i wasn't a PN customer but i knew if other ISP's seen that they could get away with this they would try it too) and quite a few others gave them hell, their Customer Services reps were on trying to explain why it was needed but the real reason for it was because they advertised "unlimted Broadband and no caps" at a very low price and when users flocked to them they couldn't handle it.
they got away with it because of the fine print "Fair Usage Policy"

If you have cable in your area then go for NTL or Telewest. other than that then Eclipse or Bulldog are the last remaining DSL ISP's not to have Bandwidth caps

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:28 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my mum onto Plusnet on their pay as you go broadband. Nice and cheap, cheap connection charge too. Can't fault them YET although activation took longer than expected and soemtimes the connection does drop but not often enough to complain.

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is everything your downloading capped at 20k ?

I know Pipex brought in traffic shapping for those who were using P2P and it was limited to 20 aswell.

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

check on their mate, your problem might be at your exchange

brettking24
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:24 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: just done speed test!! Reply with quote

just done a speed test on plusnet and it came up with 516k yet im on 2mb

~Sad

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for Telewest as well.

In total we've had broadband at this address for about 4 years or so, and there's only one time I can remember us having no internet, and that was something way out of there control (someone knocked over the exchange). There customer service is great, and I've never had slow D/L speeds.

Thumbs Up
djr This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.
Rob W This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

lllN30lll
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 23 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been with Plusnet now for around 8 months too

i couldnt be more f*cked off with them if i tried!!! i was previously with Virgin 1mb Broadband and they allowed me to download about 300 gig a month.

Plusnet were good at first until they started to Hard cap customers. they have limited P2P and usenet usage to around 10gig a month which is shit Evil or Very Mad once you reach the 10gb limit they cap you to downloading at 5kb/sec from P2p/usenet.

i cant wait until i f*ck them off and go with another ISP tbh

flat spot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 23 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with plusnet and have never had a problem with them. The speeds are really fast. I guess i don't download as much as you guys do so that's never been an issue.
I have an email stating they'll upgrade me for free to 8 meg when my exchange is enabled soon.
Can't complain so far. Smile
just done a speed test...............

Speed
1.7 megabits per second

Communications--- 1.7 megabits per second
Storage--- 203.9 kilobytes per second
1MB file download--- 5 seconds
Subjective rating--- Great

Explain results

Info
Date & time Tuesday, May 23, 2:22PM*
Test type IDT4 Free
Connection type ADSL
Region United Kingdom
Data size 1024KB

I must add, I pay a little extra for a 30:1 contention ratio.

lllN30lll
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 23 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flat spot, Http web browsing is pefectly fine so your speed tests will come up as normal

it's only P2P and usenet services they've Hard capped Thumbs Up

Last edited by lllN30lll on 21:54 - 23 May 2006; edited 1 time in total

Deano
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 23 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got AOL. I wouldnt recommend them, i work with a couple of their ex employees from their support and they tell me that if they cant fix your problem they just point you to the part in your contract where it says they are obliged not to provide with any internet connection Laughing Laughing Laughing .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andrewc2oo5zx...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:39 - 26 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bt broadband 8.1mb connection, downloaded sum good movies at 500/kbs Thumbs Up

SUNDERLAND AFC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 26 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on NTL 10Mb, with something like a 75Gb cap.

Fantastic, reliable and REALLY fast, only problem was it was bloody expensive.

All of it.

nrml76
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:44 - 02 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with AOL. I've heared of awful customer service etc, but not experienced it myself. They have always answered my calls on time and been very helpful. While the speed is nothing to rave about (I am on the cheapest and slowest plan), it is fast enough to do most things you would require broadband for. I dont have any download limit imposed on me either.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 3 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1