Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike Insurance for Dummies

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:21 - 16 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's not.

Mord
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:01 - 26 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your experience with MCE Insurance? I tried confused.com , gocompare.com and tesco compare and MCE is always the cheapest.

£680 for fully comp for Daytona 675 (bike worth £5500), second best quote was £820
£950 for fully comp for RSV Factory (bike worth £5500), second best quote was £1700 lol

Has anybody with their insurance actually ever tried to claim?

They are cheap indeed, but does it mean 'you get what you paid for"?

ssruk
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:44 - 30 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found mce cheap but crap so wont go with them again

Mord
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:10 - 30 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssruk wrote:
i found mce cheap but crap so wont go with them again

So what exactly was the problem with them? Thinking

Myler
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:49 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found performance direct to be cheap, bearing in mind though anything i have insured previously was 125cc or under.
got a few quotes for when i get test done. with performance direct they come back as:

Bike: 1988 Yamaha Fzr 400 3en1
Rider: 19 years old, car licence for 9 months, restricted licence (when passed), 1 years bike NCB.
Area: Leigh, Wigan
price: £145 TPFT

price very similar for a 1989 Honda Cbr 400 nc29 Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
jingjing This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Myler
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:37 - 30 Oct 2010    Post subject: Re: HEEE Reply with quote

jingjing wrote:
you should add this which dummy posted up last year (and I did again 8 months later) better-tiffany

Eh? whats that got to do with price of bread? Thinking
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
jingjing This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

guitarman.harris
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:06 - 18 Dec 2010    Post subject: SKYJET Reply with quote

Hi, I was recently given a Skyjet 125 as a present but am having trouble getting quotes online. Is there anyone here who could tell me what company skyjets come under? or if you own one, who you are insured with?

thanks in advanced

Ingah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:25 - 19 Dec 2010    Post subject: Re: SKYJET Reply with quote

guitarman.harris wrote:
Hi, I was recently given a Skyjet 125 as a present but am having trouble getting quotes online. Is there anyone here who could tell me what company skyjets come under? or if you own one, who you are insured with?

thanks in advanced

You need to call the insurers up. Many will actually cover the bike despite not being able to quote online. You'll also be able to haggle a better price too, by throwing them your best quote so far.

guitarman.harris
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:08 - 19 Dec 2010    Post subject: Skyjet Reply with quote

Thanks Ingah, thought this would be the case :)

tahrey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 11 Feb 2011    Post subject: Re: HEEE Reply with quote

Myler wrote:
jingjing wrote:
you should add this which dummy posted up last year (and I did again 8 months later) better-tiffany

Eh? whats that got to do with price of bread? Thinking

It's a spambot that's grabbed a random sentence out of the second post on the first page of the thread (nothing if not sophisticated I guess) and parroted it back with an advert on the end. Reported...!

Though if it had done that with the link taking people ONLY looking at page 5 back to the list of good/bad postcodes, it'd be useful. Certainly explains why mine shot up when I moved back home (B73, a C) from uni (LL57, an A). I've never got within even fifty quid of such cheap car insurance as I had when still a relatively new driver, age 22, chucking a knackered old Polo around the iffy Snowdonia roads as if I was Loeb in a base-class holiday rental.

Its assessment of my work zone (B33, a D-star) is pretty accurate as well. Area's known as one of those that it's not bolted down it'll be pinched, and it's the only place I've ever suffered a break-in. God only knows how rough the E, F and "Refer" ones are (inner city gangland I guess?), but if I lived there and had a bike I'd turn the stairs into a ramp and keep it in the bedroom, tied to the building frame with a thick-guage chain. I'm only happy to leave it outdoors here because of the site security patrols, I'd be highly wary of leaving it on the road for any length of time.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 02:08 - 20 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, those ratings look far too gross. I'm apparently in an E(!) group. But so is everybody else in my 75,000 soul town, whether on sink estates or nice cul de sacs with no rear access and surrounded by coppers. I've never heard of so much as a garden gnome go missing from my estate. Confused

By the way, and for the record, if you so much as get a quote from the hucksters at motorcycledirect dot co dot uk, they'll sell your email address to every spammer from here to Outer Elbonia. Be warned.

Ingah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:13 - 20 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

By the way, and for the record, if you so much as get a quote from the hucksters at motorcycledirect dot co dot uk, they'll sell your email address to every spammer from here to Outer Elbonia. Be warned.

Ah, i was wondering which insurer had done that as i started receiving much more email spam after phoning around this year...

Middle Finger to motorcycledirect.co.uk

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:33 - 20 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be "fair", their privacy page implies they're going to do it, and they don't give an opt out. I'm fairly certain the ICO would frown on that - they might even send a Strongly Worded Memo. Rolling Eyes

Incidentally, I know it was them as I always give out your_address@my_domain for email addresses.

finger_nails_are_pretty
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:52 - 20 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a 500cc first bike worth at most £1000 - £1500, is it worth going fully comp or TPFT only? How much excess do you guys normally put down?

tahrey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 21 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Mmm, those ratings look far too gross. I'm apparently in an E(!) group. But so is everybody else in my 75,000 soul town, whether on sink estates or nice cul de sacs with no rear access and surrounded by coppers. I've never heard of so much as a garden gnome go missing from my estate. Confused

Well they are going just by first half of the postcode alone. Depending where you are that can be quite a large area, or a pretty small one. Round here (Birmingham) it may be a couple of square miles in the densely built up areas, enough that you can say that it's a fairly accurate depiction (if still "pixelated" - one hopes that the full underwriter software package goes right down to single-street / postal walk level) of a certain area of the city. One or two former mediaeval parishes to each zone. Best part of 90 "B" zones within a 20 mile radius of the spiritual centre of the city, plus all those in the conjoined Black Country zones (DY, WV, WS). I could easily walk round the border of my home zone in a couple of hours and touch on 3 or 4 others whilst doing so.

However in less populated areas it'll be a lot less precise. Someone tried to point me towards a location in Somerset the other day by using Road Name, Town Name, FirstHalfOfPostcode. I just used the postcode at first thinking "eh, I'll see the town and can then zoom in, the road's got a descriptive name so shouldn't be too hard to track". Could I find it? Nah. Had to resort to searching for it direct. That one code zone must have covered about 100 square miles and a couple hundred tiny villages. In which case, it would be a very crude measure that basically says, "all this stuff? The sticks".

(Each of the birmingham zones is in with a good shot of containing up to 75000 people ... certainly 25000+ wouldn't be surprising... plus we still have a very good number of businesses that would be covered, we have some industry left and an obscene number of shops and offices, making up for the "missing" residential population)

Aivaras55
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:17 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I bought cia insurance on my 125 honda for 345 pounds(total payable). After one week I got a letter about credit agreements. And in the letter it says: Total amount you will have to pay 446.41 pounds :o 38.38 monthly payments 9x = 345.42. They change amount after I got an insurance. Before agreement they didn't include deposit in total amount...

So I made deposit of 100.99 and I'm paying monthly 38.38. If I'm gonna cancel my insurance after 3 months I'm getting 100.99 back? If I'll keep insurance they gonna use deposit for 3 last months right?

tahrey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say mate ... either you've naively misread the terms of what they've put there (pay monthly ... often a bad idea anyway as they rape you with high interest ... only worth it if you genuinely can't stretch to the lump sum by any other means) ... OR they are pulling a fast one.

To be honest looking at what you've put I can't tell either way. It seems a bit confused, and it depends heavily on the exact wording and fine print of the original quote.

It also seems sky fucking high for what the bike is, are you still in nappies and living in guantananmo? Had fully comp car quotes not much more than your total-to-pay.
(oh... and are you FC, 3rd party fire+theft, or 3rd party only? The middle seems most cost effective for small cheap bikes).

I will say the deposit thing when doing finance payments doesn't work like it would for, say, a hire car or renting a flat. You don't get it back. It's just the part you have to pay up front so they know you're not just going to take out the policy (which, typically, they have to pay a cut of to someone else) and never pay a penny, ignoring all the final demands etc, leaving them out of pocket. If everyone was absolutely trustworthy, it'd be 12 x £37.20 instead. Effectively, they're using it for the first 3 months, I guess interest free as 100.99 divided by 3 is noticably less than 38.38; when does your first monthly payment go out? And are you sure you haven't also been put on a 10-month "no claims booster" policy? If they've fiddled the price without informing you, who knows what else has changed.

Sort out all the documents you have pertaining to this (you did of course keep printed copies of all quotes sent to you, whether paper or electronic, and wrote down everything that was said if it was a phone quote?) and be utterly sure of what you actually agreed to. It could be just a mis-reading of it (did it seem like a really, really good deal vs all the others?) and you missed an important bit where it said "£100.99 deposit plus 9 monthly payments of £38.38 for £345.42 overall repayment" which kind of gives itself away (the deposit doesn't count in that, because the rest of it is, quite literally, a loan), or maybe they are screwing you and need to be brought to task.

Either way if it was never written anywhere or said to you on the phone that the actual full cost for the year was £446, that's harsh. Assuming everyone can do mental accountancy isn't on.

Adam.I
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should get back a proportion of it, but it is unlikely you will get it all back. If you do not buy your insurance out right, you enter into a credit agreement. As a result of that, the price of the insurance goes up, meaning those who 'paid' for your insurance make money by charging you more.

Therefore, you will pay for any months you use to your insurer AND whatever the company charges you who arranged the finance.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:06 - 15 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

just found this whilst searching it seems a bit old but may be helpful if included on the first page really good at letting you find out what category your bike falls under Wink

https://www.vauntage.co.uk/bike_groups.htm#SUZUKI

jannypana
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:07 - 15 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should add this which dummy posted up last year (and I did again 8 months later)

tahrey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:03 - 25 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
just found this whilst searching it seems a bit old but may be helpful if included on the first page really good at letting you find out what category your bike falls under Wink

Nice one....
(heh, no wonder I'm getting an insanely cheap premium... the only thing in a lower group than mine is some random MZ, probably because it's older than god...)

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:03 - 26 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahrey wrote:
TheSmiler wrote:

Nice one....
(heh, no wonder I'm getting an insanely cheap premium... the only thing in a lower group than mine is some random MZ, probably because it's older than god...)

No problem dude Thumbs Up , I found it after searching because of several key bikes that I had been looking at online and quoted seemed to be cheaper than others.

It's hard to find out what class random motorbikes come under when you have to keep searching through every page on google.

Aivaras55
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:34 - 03 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahrey wrote:

It also seems sky fucking high for what the bike is, are you still in nappies and living in guantananmo? Had fully comp car quotes not much more than your total-to-pay.
(oh... and are you FC, 3rd party fire+theft, or 3rd party only? The middle seems most cost effective for small cheap bikes).

I will say the deposit thing when doing finance payments doesn't work like it would for, say, a hire car or renting a flat. You don't get it back. It's just the part you have to pay up front so they know you're not just going to take out the policy (which, typically, they have to pay a cut of to someone else) and never pay a penny, ignoring all the final demands etc, leaving them out of pocket. If everyone was absolutely trustworthy, it'd be 12 x £37.20 instead. Effectively, they're using it for the first 3 months, I guess interest free as 100.99 divided by 3 is noticably less than 38.38; when does your first monthly payment go out? And are you sure you haven't also been put on a 10-month "no claims booster" policy? If they've fiddled the price without informing you, who knows what else has changed.

"£100.99 deposit plus 9 monthly payments of £38.38 for £345.42 overall repayment" which kind of gives itself away (the deposit doesn't count in that, because the rest of it is, quite literally, a loan), or maybe they are screwing you and need to be brought to task.

Thanks for your post, sadly I saw it only now.

Yeah total amount displayed was without the deposit and they never mentioned total amount with deposit. I have paid the deposit thinking it's £100.99 from £345.42, but I saw it's not once I have paid the deposit.

I'm paying this amount for only 3rd party 125cc.. I have tried looking cheaper, but I couldn't find it. I'm 20y. old I have license for one year, but no official experience with insurance.

What about deposit? They charge me from the very first month, so where is my deposit? If I cancel my policy now, what about deposit? They should have used my deposit for first months not the last..

Also I haven't accepted my credit agreement yet lol I have got mail, but I forgot to sign it and send it. Can I get back deposit this way? lol they are screwing with me, so I could do the same.

Man, I hate all these companies in UK.. They are all just trying to steal your money, there's no such thing in a country where I was born.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9