Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike Insurance for Dummies

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

kestrel1991
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:15 - 09 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am a new owner of a 2003 aprilia mx50, and i was looking for ages trying to fing cheap quotes. i had one from bennets and they're shite-- £800 4 a third party only- what a rip off!!
anyways a friend recommended www.lexhaminsurance.co.uk and i got the price right down to 210 quid. so im going for that. Very Happy

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 14 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article on bike insurance from the Motley Fool.

https://www.fool.co.uk/news/your-money/insurance/2008/03/12/seven-motorbike-insurance-tips.aspx?source=ioowftxt0010011

Quote:
Seven Motorbike Insurance Tips

Motorbike insurance is less complicated than car insurance. For that reason, there are fewer tips to give you, once we omit obvious statements like: 'Less powerful bikes, and bikes locked in garages at night, will have lower premiums'. Still, here are a few things I learned during my time in the insurance industry:

1. Compare the small print
Like all insurances, cheapest isn't always best. Compare terms and conditions for driving abroad, the policy excess, whether your no claims bonus is protected, and so on.

2. Important stuff about 'riding other bikes' cover
A 'riding other motorcycles' extension covers you for third-party damage only or sometimes even less cover than that, i.e. the lowest cover possible, which is called Road Traffic Act cover. You can only use the extension if the bike is insured by its owner. Furthermore, once you park the vehicle using this extension, it's not insured at all till the owner re-takes possession!

One more thing, bear in mind that you don't automatically have this cover if you have a comprehensive policy. So check your insurance certificate to see if it's included.

3. Modifications aren't all that bad
Unlike car insurance, most modifications don't increase the premium, or if they do it's just a little. Obviously, if it enhances performance a lot you can expect higher premiums. Even so, if your mod doesn't increase performance, you must still disclose it to the insurer. Non-disclosure of any modifications could result in your claim being rejected, and your policy even classed as void.

4. Free legal cover
Legal-expenses insurance can be useful, but try to pay nothing for it if you can. It costs the insurer nothing, or at most a few pounds, so it can be quite easy to negotiate on this.

5. Try decreasing your voluntary excess!
Increasing your voluntary excess can decrease your premium. That's old news. However, did you know that sometimes it can't? This can work in your favour, too. When you get quotes, try both increasing and decreasing the excess; you may find you get the same price for a lower excess.

6. Avoid paying by direct debit
Don't pay by direct debit, because it's very expensive. You could easily pay interest at 30% APR! If you can't pay for the whole policy up front, use a 0%-on-purchases credit card, and pay off the balance in full before the interest-free deal ends.

7. Loyalty isn't rewarded
As with any insurance, always check prices elsewhere at renewal, because it's likely that another insurer is now cheaper. Loyalty is not rewarded, sadly.

That's about it. I hope you've picked up something from that lot. I'll have more tips on motorbike insurance in the near future, including some tips to win claims when the other driver is disputing liability. Winning non-fault claims is not always an easy task for a motorcyclist!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mal
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:17 - 14 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd share my good news. Ok, so I'm over 30 and have full NCB but I still thought my renewal that's just come through is a bargain.

Me: Computer programmer, relatively low risk area, though I do have 1 SP30 and do approx 20,000 (yes twenty thousand) miles per year, mostly commuting to and from work.

Bike(s):

1999 Thundercat and a 2002 FJR1300.

Cost of insurance on both bikes, fully comp with protected NCB - £211!!!

Insurance broker - Bike Team. Been with them for a few years now actually, never had any problems, even when I had to claim.

Not sure if they're this good for everyone, but well worth a look.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fitton
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:31 - 23 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm insured with Swinton

£388 Third Party F+T

17 years old, 1st time rider

Wozza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:17 - 31 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had a scooter back when I was 16, does that count as a years NCB?

Biker101
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:43 - 01 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wozza wrote:
If I had a scooter back when I was 16, does that count as a years NCB?

If you let the policy run the first full year and didnt claim then yes but it usually expires after 2 years, so if your insurance ended dec 2005 the ncb would of expired dec 2007.

Pudgemeister
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:55 - 28 Jun 2008    Post subject: bike insurance Reply with quote

Hi all

I have read the long post by Itchy about bike insurance but im still not quite understanding it.

Itchy wrote:
you should add this which dummy posted up last year (and I did again 8 months later)

A=Cheapest
F=Most expensive

AB Aberdeen
10-16, 21-25, 30-39, 41-45, 51-56 . . . . . . . A
AL St Albans
1, 7 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . C

I know its probably blatantly obvious but what are the numbers representing?

need to know soon.

Pudge

TomR6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 28 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the postcode, so AB10 - AB16 and AB21 - AB25 etc. All of them fall in the 'A' group therefore the cheapest.

Whereas AL1 and AL7 fall into the worst insurance group, F.

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 16:42 - 28 Jun 2008    Post subject: Re: bike insurance Reply with quote

Pudgemeister wrote:

I know its probably blatantly obvious but what are the numbers representing?

Lol, Fail
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

Pudgemeister
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:48 - 28 Jun 2008    Post subject: lol...thanx...now for bikes... Reply with quote

ok now ive been laughed at for that question...

...what are the cheapest bikes to insure? (125cc only)

tyvm in advance

Pudgemeister

Jumile
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 11 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Mudskipper for that Motley Fool article. Good advice.

I just made a couple of calls to get a ballpark comprehensive insurance cost for the make/model of bike I'm thinking of getting (SV650 - year 2000 and £2K value for ballpark).

Rang the AA who said Equity Redstar came back with the best quote: £265. Then I rang Devitt (Directline's motorcycle insurer) who said NIG Insurance came back with the best quote: £181. Both provide European cover (60 days), £100K legal cover, allowed to ride other peoples' bikes (TPO), etc. Forgot to check NCB protection, but I can do that later.

That was for a hypothetical bike that doesn't exist, so it goes to show even simple shopping around is worthwhile. I'll probably find a better deal if I look harder.

silverelephan...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:13 - 11 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I know this is probably completely the wrong place to ask about this but where can I find out what security comes on a bike as standard? I've put down a deposit on an SV650S, just waiting on my licence coming through to complete it all and I'm trying to get quotes while I'm waiting but I can't find information ANYWHERE on what security comes on the bike. It's a new 2008 machine, am I being completely naive to think that it will at least have something the way new cars all seem to have? Confused

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 22 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question

In my current job I don't need to use the bike to commute on as its only down the road, so excluded commuting from my policy, however I am not just about to change jobs and will need to use the bike do get to work...would you change policy or leave it as it is and wait for the renewal. If I kept it as it is what would happen if I was on my way to work and had an accident?

tzr
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:11 - 22 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

AL 1 wrote:
I have a question

In my current job I don't need to use the bike to commute on as its only down the road, so excluded commuting from my policy, however I am not just about to change jobs and will need to use the bike do get to work...would you change policy or leave it as it is and wait for the renewal. If I kept it as it is what would happen if I was on my way to work and had an accident?

You'd arrange to take the day off and say you were on a social/domestic journey. Very Happy

The Disapproving Brit
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 10 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just insured my first bike (2000 Kymco Zing 125, priced at £1000 for insurance), and prices ranged from £280 with a £500 excess to £98 with a £150 excess for TPFT cover. Guess what I went with? Smile

The £98 was from Motorcycle Direct if anyone's interested.
michael2008 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nick__C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 19 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right i have a quick Q,
My dad insists that online quotes will be cheaper than ringing up,
i.e a comparison site.
I was under the impression that ringing up can give a much better description of the cover needed and can reduce the quote?
who is right?
Thanks,,

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:57 - 19 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get better quotes over the phone. Thumbs Up

You can haggle with someone over the phone, you can't haggle with a website.

Nick__C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 19 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what i was thinking,
But he goes "how many insurance policies have you had?"
Thanks(Y)

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 22:21 - 19 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust us on this, the internet shafts you.

Basic premise (logically) is, once set up, it runs itself... so they'll charge you the premium less the handling.

However, as said by Ste, when you phone up you can bully them and play them against each other. Drive them lower.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

The Disapproving Brit
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another trick I've found is to use the comparison site to find out who offers the cheapest quote, then get another quote directly from that insurer. Because they then don't have to pay commission to the comparison site, this often works out cheaper.

LimehouseCBF
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im with Express Insurance: https://www.expressinsurance.co.uk/web/bike_insurance.html

im 21 did my direct access failed 1st test (bloody indicators grr) and took me 2nd test on my own bike honda hornet 600 '98( that wasnt any extra) 670 fully comp with free roadside recovery(helped me out) so if you take your test on your own bike this was really reasonable!

unspec
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 02:45 - 12 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

31, 1 year NCB - renewal for a 2002 Thundercat with Carol Nash (fully comp) was £423 (£400 excess)

Used the MCN comparison tool and Direct Choice came back with a quote for £199 and with just a £250 excess!

What a difference a year makes....

vYv_Vendetta_vYv
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:52 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO much for swinton - 19, insuring a DT 04` RE 125 with insurance approved Oxford disclock & heavy duty chain, locked concrete garage etc etc.

TPFT

800+ cheapest, £3000 from one they quoted Shocked

I cant seem to find any lower than £450, guess i'll just say F..it and go for it.

for anyone in the same position:

AXA Insurance - UK
385 one-off, or 450 monthly.

blinky
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 02:32 - 07 Apr 2009    Post subject: Devitt Reply with quote

ye i just went through Devitt recently as ive used them for the general leg work over my 2 years of riding, was then quoted £98 3rd party etc. for my recent renewal of my cg125 (usually kept at home and garaged obv! Wink ) i think it was with NIG but not sure

i really was rushed at the time so figured for a 2 year no claims and living in a reasonably nice/safe part of Bristol, the £98 was a good offer, so snapped it up, done!

Got my A2 coming up this week, so wish me luck Thumbs Up
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9