Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike Insurance for Dummies

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ElliotReidMD
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:52 - 17 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am shocked at the quotes I'm getting. I haven't done my DAS yet but a quote for an ER-5, a possibility once passed, fully comp was £130.

I just can't believe how low that is. Being old is finally paying off.

ruck bodgers
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:37 - 27 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recently took out a 12 month renew insurance policy. with the same company as previous (motorcycle direct) first i phoned them and the asshole woman on the phone tried to tell me this time it was going to cost +87 pound extra (i have 0 points or claims). so i said bye bye ill shop around . id just like to add she was being a complete bitch with a Derogatory tone to her voice . so i went online a nd got a qoute from the same company and it came back 100 pound cheaper than the fat cow had quoted me for the same deal ...... witch i accepted .
today i received a letter from them asking me to justify my no claims and wot not and details of my previous insurer to prove this . THEY are my previous insurer . i looked at the signiture on the letter and its some womans I BET ITS THAT FAT BITCH

Nick 50
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 25 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask a very naive question:

I have yet to get my first bike, but when I do, can I used a compare site to get a quote before I go to view the bike and then use the reference number to ring the company once I have viewed the bike, pay and then be insured from that moment?

In other words would I be instantly insured and then ok to ride the bike back home?

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:11 - 26 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick 50 wrote:

I have yet to get my first bike, but when I do, can I used a compare site to get a quote before I go to view the bike and then use the reference number to ring the company once I have viewed the bike, pay and then be insured from that moment?

In other words would I be instantly insured and then ok to ride the bike back home?

I'd see no reason why not however would be nice if you have a printed piece of paper just to notify coppers if they pull you over.. as it isn't updated automatically on their system... your best posting a new topic to get a deffinite answer Wink

mgh0
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:10 - 23 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good idea is to check an online cash back site like Quidco or topcashback once you have your quote from a comparison site.

For example I was quoted £115 for a 125 by Swinton via confused.com, I had a look at Quidco and if I go via their link to the Swinton site I get £27 cash back on the purchase bringing it down to £87 for a year tpft.

Other insurers have other deals on Quidco, I also used it for my house insurance etc and saved £95 last year. Well worth a look if your insurer is on there.

ninja_butler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 23 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good tip I learned from BBC Watchdog: Never, NEVER, tell your insurance company anything you don't absolutely have to tell them.

ANY information you give them about previous accidents or incidents - even if you never made a claim - can and will be passed on to other insurers and used to "modify" the assessment of your risk level.

LockyUK
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:04 - 22 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

insurance companies are determined to screw me, waiting on my new cbf 125 (due in january) just passed my CBT 1st december, live in oldham (OL1) £900 is the best anybody could do! and they wonder why so many idiots drive round uninsured...

reddeviljp
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 07:59 - 31 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any companies that insure YOU and not the BIKE? So if you have two or three bikes you'll be insured when you ride whichever one?

Or do all insurance companies make you insure each bike, individually?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ninja_butler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 04 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

reddeviljp wrote:
Are there any companies that insure YOU and not the BIKE? So if you have two or three bikes you'll be insured when you ride whichever one?

Or do all insurance companies make you insure each bike, individually?

Yes.. sort of, some motorcycle insurers offer multi-bike policies. Carole Nash has a multi-bike option but the bikes must be over 10 years old. But why they can't add a 5 year-old 50cc scooter to a policy for a 10 year-old Yamaha R1 or Honda Super Blackbird is a mystery. Neutral

Limiter
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:50 - 25 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to put my twopenneth in regarding which I found the best.

Found on compare the market.com:-

Bennetts Additions.

Fully Comp £500 including Breakdown, Helmet and Leathers, Legal and Personal Accident at £0 voluntary and £400 stat excess.

Can't believe that, as a 24 year old new biker on a CB600F with 0 No Claims discount.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kELKY
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 28 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried about 4 companies so far,

2 have denied me insurance, and the other quoted me £4000!

I thought bikes were supposed to be a cheap alternative...

May have to look at a different bike, even though the R6 does look really nice Sad

Ingah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 28 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

kELKY wrote:
Tried about 4 companies so far,

2 have denied me insurance, and the other quoted me £4000!

I thought bikes were supposed to be a cheap alternative...

May have to look at a different bike, even though the R6 does look really nice Sad

Yes, they are the cheap alternative. Performance vs performance wise.

Why don't you try getting a quote for a car of similar performance. Like a Ferrari?

If you don't want a high insurance premium, don't get a race bike for use on the road (at least, until you have experience to reduce your risk to the insurer).

kELKY
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:02 - 28 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get £3000 on a fully comp 1.2 clio with 1yrs NCB

It looks so good though. I'll just have to realise I'm going to have to start small.

Ingah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 28 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

kELKY wrote:

It looks so good though. I'll just have to realise I'm going to have to start small.

Which would perform comparitively to say, a Honda CB250. Run a quote on a CB250 with 1 year NCB.

kELKY
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:48 - 28 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it on a Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2011 third party fire and theft 0 NCB and got £930 which is the best i've seen so far.

There is hope after all.

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 16 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first insurance premium (oct 2011) for my Honda City Fly (CLR125) was £250, this is the first vehicle insurance i've ever had so didn't think it was too bad. This was for Salford area too (M5) and reduced firther when i moved to Bury (BL9).

Just keep shopping around as some of the quotes i got were over £1k which i just laughed at.

Did it through 'Just' who are a brokers, insurance policy is actually held with arriva.

Forgot to add my cover is Fully Comp, £100 excess..think it's £100 might be £150

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 16 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick 50 wrote:

Yes once you've setup the policy by phone you can ride straight away, but as mentioned you would need to print off your insurance certificate (some online insurance companies email you the cert) just incase the police pull you as previously stated there can be a large delay in your details being availble to the police for a check.

tahrey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 16 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

kELKY wrote:

WTF Shocked

How young are you and/or where the heck do you live/what are your license endorsements? I mean, from a legal perspective you have to be at least 19 to be on a de-restricted "big bike", even if you did your Mod 1 and 2 together on your 17th birthday. 21 to do DAS.

20 years old, 1.0 Polo (only 1 or 2 groups lower), no NCB at all... I got quoted somewhere around £600-700 I think. Back in 2002, mind, but still...

What are you quoted for a noddy 125 like mine? That comes in at approx 1/4 the price of my car insurance (fairly mild 1.6s, now a 1.5D), so you may be looking at £750 for that... mind that car NCB isn't transferable to bikes, neither. I can still thrash across town plenty quick enough and just about hold my own on A-roads and motorways with a shot of willpower and an unsympathetic hand on the throttle. The performance I guess would be compared to "a Fiat 126 or 2CV after some serious weight-reduction modifications". Initial acceleration is closer to that of the Clio, but then quickly falls off as aerodynamics take hold.

reddeviljp wrote:
Are there any companies that insure YOU and not the BIKE? -snip-

Well you can get multi-car / multi-bike policies, but you are still insuring all the machines together rather than yourself. It doesn't work like the AA etc Smile The only way you can have yourself insured for any car/bike you choose to pilot is by registering as a member of the motor trade and using trade plates.

Thing is, even on 3rd party, you're still insuring the machine for any damage it may cause even when you're not in charge of it. EG the car's handbrake fails and it rolls out of the car port, out onto the road and into the side of a bus. Or the bike somehow falls off it's stand and onto a kid, or has an electrical short and burns down a shared garage block thanks to being full of petrol and other flammables.

Or, if you're only going to use it a few days or weeks out of the year, just go for a short-term policy, and keep it securely locked away in a condition where it can't harm people or possessions at all other times...

lycan_barry
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:23 - 14 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloody hell 27 yr old honda cb garaged on cbt licence 201 is the cheapest, im moving

Bred2shred
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:29 - 15 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ran through a couple of quotes on Bennets, 2007 cbr 125 came in at £174. Then i ran the same details for a 2009 ybr and that came back 20 quid dearer, surely the Honda is a much more nick worthy bike than the yamaha even though it is 2 years newer?

Doesn't make sense to me, looks like i might just pony up for the nice little cbr i've found for my first bike.

Martylaa
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:29 - 22 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 37 years old, have almost 20 years car driving and NCB, just completed my CBT and looking to do the DAS soon, I've no experience of bikes. I have been on one of those insurance price comparison sites, I put my details in and put down a CBR600f 2000 plate, it comes back at anywhere between £280-£500 for fully comp?
Am I doing something wrong because that seems a steal to me yet people keep going on about get some insurance quotes and I won't be able to get a quote etc etc.

jonbee56
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:47 - 03 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't get it

I'm an old fart restarting so zero bike no-claims and Just about to take my Mod 1. I've received quotes for Kawasaki ER-6N for £391 (which I think is really high) and Kawasaki Ninja 250 for £438. All details are the same, just changed the bike

So hang on here... its cheaper for me to insure a 650cc than a 250cc.
It cant be right,or is this a penalty cos the young kids trash the 250's ?

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:08 - 03 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonbee56 wrote:
I just don't get it

I'm an old fart restarting so zero bike no-claims and Just about to take my Mod 1. I've received quotes for Kawasaki ER-6N for £391 (which I think is really high) and Kawasaki Ninja 250 for £438. All details are the same, just changed the bike

So hang on here... its cheaper for me to insure a 650cc than a 250cc.
It cant be right,or is this a penalty cos the young kids trash the 250's ?

Sports bike vs. commuter, possibly.
Though it's likely a statistical thing.

If I were an insurer and I had no data to go off, I'd be more wary of someone riding a YZF-125 than I would a CB500, simply because they're probably a boy racer and more likely to stack it. Regardless of the fact it's far less capable.

_matt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:14 - 13 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been looking around for some new insurance on a 1990 Yamaha XV 535 an pretty shocked by the price differences so i'll post my info here.

Postcode: ST19 (staffordshire)
Full licence: 18 months
No Claims: 0 sadly after a bike theft last year
Cover: 3rd Party Fire & theft + Breakdown Cover (where I could Get it)

Quotes:
AA - £365 p/a - no breakdown cover
Hastings Direct - £194 p/a - with breakdown Cover
BikeTeam - £289 p/a - with breakdown cover

Finally went with -
Express Insurance - £172 p/a With Breakdown Cover

I swear it wasn't this much to insure a 125 when I was 17 with fully comp insurance, why is it so much more now i've got a bigger bike that I won't trash and a full licence-.-'

*additionally, just got some online quotes for my old 125 to see the difference.
2004 Jinlun Texan 125
AA Insurance - £946 third party only
..are you fucking insane!

sbeeland
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:37 - 26 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I get some ideas of premium for possible intended bikes after I've done DAS? (from never having sat on a bike before)
I have a (rather unfortunately/ unfairly gained) TT99 conviction, so need some idea oif whether big bike insurance is going to be even remotely affordable.
Can't get far on most online quote systems as I can't give a bike licence or bike test pass date
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9