Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike Insurance for Dummies

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

tahrey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 06 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbeeland wrote:
Where can I get some ideas of premium for possible intended bikes after I've done DAS? (from never having sat on a bike before)
I have a (rather unfortunately/ unfairly gained) TT99 conviction, so need some idea oif whether big bike insurance is going to be even remotely affordable.
Can't get far on most online quote systems as I can't give a bike licence or bike test pass date

Just fake it! Put in whatever dates are both closest to reality and satisfy the system. EG say you've only just passed today or whatever, as presumably that will be the case, or not far enough different to make any difference to the underwriters.

So long as you're not actually taking out a policy with those details, you won't get in trouble for looking.

Bear in mind it will only be a guide price and things can change right up until you're given a firm quote with the option to buy, having given ALL the relevant details on the day. But, it should at least let you know whether you've a hope in hell of affording it or not.

tahrey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 06 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martylaa wrote:
I'm 37 years old, have almost 20 years car driving and NCB, just completed my CBT and looking to do the DAS soon... CBR600f 2000 plate, it comes back £280-£500 for fully comp?
Am I doing something wrong because that seems a steal to me yet people keep going on about get some insurance quotes and I won't be able to get a quote etc etc.

Er, come again? What was the question?

You're doing well with them offering you cover even though you're not actually licensed for anything more than a 125 (even despite age, AFAIK?)... but £280 for a 600cc probably is doing quite well. Dunno. I'd have to spend time putting my own details in to see what's what.

I would say however you have to be VERY careful checking the details of what price comparison sites offer, because they will often come back with crazy sky-high excesses, "forgotten" accident claims and other such hidden loveliness to get the headline price down, and if you don't pay attention you'll get stung when the time comes to make a claim.

_matt wrote:
Just been looking around for some new insurance on a 1990 Yamaha XV 535 an pretty shocked by the price differences so i'll post my info here.

Postcode: ST19 (staffordshire) Edit - And a pretty quiet bit of it too if memory serves (-T)
Full licence: 18 months
No Claims: 0 sadly after a bike theft last year
Cover: 3rd Party Fire & theft + Breakdown Cover (where I could Get it)

Quotes:
AA - £365 p/a - no breakdown cover
Hastings Direct - £194 p/a - with breakdown Cover
BikeTeam - £289 p/a - with breakdown cover

Finally went with -
Express Insurance - £172 p/a With Breakdown Cover

I swear it wasn't this much to insure a 125 when I was 17 with fully comp insurance, why is it so much more now i've got a bigger bike that I won't trash and a full licence-.-'

*additionally, just got some online quotes for my old 125 to see the difference.
2004 Jinlun Texan 125
AA Insurance - £946 third party only
..are you fucking insane!

The Jinlun quote is probably because it's Chinese, and after eight years it's almost certainly about to fall apart at 40mph whilst going past a crowded bus stop... they don't want to take the risk, so price it up so high that only a true lunatic would take out the policy.

Not sure how you managed to get a sub-£200 quote, even on a 125, as a fresh faced 17 year old alllllllllllllllllll the way back in, oh ... well it would have been 2004 wouldn't it. Bought the bike new, I presume? In any case, there has been some price inflation since, but not THAT much. I think '04 was possibly my best ever year, but I was still paying almost £500 (at 23yo) on a crusty old 1-litre car with a couple years' no-claims. It's now up to almost £800... as a 30yo in a 9-year-old 1.5 diesel with 6 years' protected NCB, and a history with a smattering of non-faults and one embarrassingly dopey at-fault on record, plus various add-ons (legal cover, courtesy car etc).

I guess they didn't have any record of spontaneous fallings-to-bits for chinese bikes at the time, and the purchase price (and therefore total-loss replacement price) would have been quite low, along with the potential damage you could cause with it's screaming top speed of, oh, maybe 63mph? Plus, if it was arranged via the garage where you bought the thing, they may well have organised a special deal for their customers. This was still the age where you could still (just about) walk into an insurance brokers on your local high street and have a real human being get you a quote face-to-face, so such things wouldn't have been that fanciful.

There are a few questions hanging around that may lead to why your best quote is in the high hundred-and-somes (and, really, not hugely more than I had to pay for 3PFT on my CG125 this year)...

* For some reason it took you 6 years to progress from CBT to full license Wink ... it's unfair but they may see this as a sign of inexperience or something.
* Were you already 25 when you took it out, or still on the cusp at 24-and-a-large-fraction?
* The loss claim may actually be counting against you for more than just the zeroing of your NCD.
* The bike may just be more valuable, and, statistically, more of a crash or theft risk. The reasons don't matter - if it's crashed or nicked more often, then it's a higher risk, and so the premium goes up.
* Living in a higher risk area these days? Somehow? Maybe ST19 is actually a real crime hotspot? (I'm only familiar with the adjoining, rather sleepy ST18...)
* How much does that Breakdown Cover actually add to the policy?
* What kind of excess did your 17yo's fully comp policy come with, vs your 25yo's 3PFT?
* Were you on someone else's policy as a named rider waybackwhen?
(That was the only way I could get covered as a teenager, and as a very occasional driver of my mum's car I still added about as much to her policy as it cost to take out one all to myself five years later)

BigJoe78
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:09 - 06 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

do they take in to account car any claims on your car insurance when you get a quote for a bike?

Heard conflicting things

tahrey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigJoe78 wrote:
do they take in to account car any claims on your car insurance when you get a quote for a bike?

Heard conflicting things

You'll probably have to ask the insurer about that. I think I had to enter them on mine. Often they'll ask for your accident history regardless of fault, vehicle, or even if it happened on your own policy. How much each thing counts for depends on the exact detail.

As far as I know, no claims is separate for each policy you hold at least.
miketaylor This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Gavster88
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:09 - 08 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newby rider, no Car NCB 24 year old chap and on a Bandit 600 or a first bike. I'm with Hastings premiere fully comp for £475. Thought it was reasonable!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BikerMatt
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:40 - 10 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started riding my pitiful AT50 in October and the insurance was about 460 TPO with Devitt and then I changed the colour to blue and then it was 485ish TPO -.- and I have a CBR125 Repsol '07 on stand by for my 17th in just over 2 weeks, anyone recommend anywhere for me? Or should I wait and see what Devitt has in store for me? I also did those online ones and they're all saying that the 125 isn't registered to me and yet I have my V5 Shocked Devitt also say they can't quote me until I am 17 Neutral I also got 3 points and £60 fine for a loose chain and fork seals on their way out by some trafficopper which was apparently down to his own discretion ....I know( Evil or Very Mad ) Also will riding the 50cc for those few months give me bit of a discount? I'm also at college but I'm at the college itself in it's own private land doing paperwork and doing the practical stuff at a well guarded garage and looking at around 5k miles a year or more? Thanks..

ed7.62
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:38 - 02 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a bit of a shock today, I contacted Motorcycle Direct to change my address as there was no function on-line to do this myself, holy smoke! They wanted £50 for any change…Good grief!
As the bike is for sale I though well I will cancel it as I paid in full, oh no that is also £50!
So the moral of this story is read your small print, this has taught me a lesson, but will from now on not just go with the cheapest quote as in my case it turned out to be one of the most expensive, will not be renewing either bike or using Motorcycle Direct again that for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Crazy-Duck
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:16 - 05 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am insured through MCE, cheepest by far for myself being 23, no no claims, etc.
I went to the MCN Bike show and picked up leafelet for 3 month free insurance through MCE if you go direct to them. Shame my insurance isnt due for renewal till December!

BikerMatt
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 02:40 - 20 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

£840 TPO for me on my CBR 125, like wtf. I'm 17 on provisional since September '12 Rolling Eyes This normal? I'm not a looney chav.

jonbee56
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:13 - 20 Mar 2013    Post subject: Job description Reply with quote

Not sure if this has been covered in the thread already, but have a look at changing your job descriptio.

Look at the advice on : https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-job-picker/

It saved me 15%, and every penny counts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Troy92
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:13 - 21 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can i go from Swinton(1st of september2012) to MCE(say today) then on the 1st of september2013 will i get a ncb? In theory it should work but with them working everywhole to get more money from us make's me wonder.

Lazysod
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:52 - 12 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike: Yamaha YZF-R1
Postcode: LE13
Full licence: 0 Months 0 years
No Claims: 0
Cover: 3rd Party Fire & Theft
Premium: £345
Insurer: eBike.

Troy92
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:22 - 13 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazysod wrote:
Bike: Yamaha YZF-R1
Postcode: LE13
Full licence: 0 Months 0 years
No Claims: 0
Cover: 3rd Party Fire & Theft
Premium: £345
Insurer: eBike.
Yet if you was 21 you would be looking at 9k with no claims

Lazysod
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:41 - 13 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote] Yet if you was 21 you would be looking at 9k with no claims[/quote]

I would happily pay £9k if I means I could be 21 again Razz actually I think the £345 I'm paying at the moment is very reasonable as I expected to pay at least twice that, I know it's mostly down to my age and where I live.

TheRevr
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:24 - 23 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a pretty good deal from my local broker when I compared it to the likes of Bennetts, etc
Steph06 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

DeenBiker
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 28 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my Suzuki GSX 750 F:

2000 plate
28,000 miles
Worth £1200 approx but bought for quick sale at £900 so value it at £1000 for insurance purposes
25 yo
3 points on my licence
Hoping to pass mod 2 on Wednesday! (but for the quote I said to assume I had passed it that day)

MCE quoted me online £167 TPFT but when I phoned them they want to quote me £300 for the exact same.

Am I missing something? I have never had anything like that for car insurance.

stallionX
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:46 - 26 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

New rider, 37 with CBT, employed married, no NCB

2001 Yam XVS 125, CAT C

New to the bike insurance so used comparison sites. It seems all of them are just a commission brokers selling insurance from underwriters. The primary underwriters are Zenith and Highway.

Zenith underwritten insurance comes at £90 TP, 120 TPFT, 180 Full comp. including legal protection. And they need VIC for CAT C, which cost you £50 if you dont have one....

Highway wont ask for VIC, only MOT. VIC is not a legal requirement for bikes. The premiums were the same form the brokers. But then I found out that LV (liverpool victoria) is actually the underwriter called Highway.

I called LV directly.
£70 TP, £75 TPFT, £79 full comp including legal protection. Result!
topout This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Redundant). Unhide this post / all posts.
250super2013 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Off Topic). Unhide this post / all posts.

Motox
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:59 - 19 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks linuxyeti for your valuable information. it must help us.

bisal
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:33 - 31 May 2015    Post subject: Re: Bike Insurance for Dummies Reply with quote

hello all

I am a car driver and have been driving for last 4 years but thinking of getting a bike as well will my car ncb help ?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:42 - 31 May 2015    Post subject: Re: Bike Insurance for Dummies Reply with quote

bisal wrote:
hello all

I am a car driver and have been driving for last 4 years but thinking of getting a bike as well will my car ncb help ?

Maybe.

If you go via www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk then you'll be asked about how long you've had a car license and how much car NCD you have.

However, that's a meta-broker site and I have no idea which (if any) underwriters are actually taking that into account.

As with any other factor, if you're getting high quotes then try changing your answers. Don't try and apply logic to it, I've had a quote go up by 1/3rd when listing security vs no security.

Boom_meringue
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:32 - 18 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been bent over and reamed by motorcycledirect. An hour before I was due to pick up my new bike (ZZR1400) they came back and told me that they wouldn't accept foreign NCB evidence. So my qulote for an '14 registered bike went up from £500 to £800 with a £350 excess.

Not only am I pissed off and there is no way they are keeping my business when it comes to renewal, but I am considering an email to the insurance ombudsman as they messed me round until the last minute, asking me for more info before finally coming out with a no because my NCB is foreign (Australia).

Anyone know of an isurer who accepts foreign, non-european NCB?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9