Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ducati Vs Japanese Motorcycles

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Klause
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 05 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Kickstart wrote:

Ah, so might be a dangerous wreck, kept going on bits the breakers threw out as too bad to sell.

Also find that look is good for keeping the shiney ducati riders from getting to close.

(And said riders of shiney Ducatis get annoyed when the old (gpz)550 is going around the roundabout quciker than them Wink .)

You need to see my ducati, my mates call it the dirty ducati, I hate cleaning now. No one passes me on roundabouts! I'm not one of those posh wannabes, far from it. I bodge things like everyone else. I recently did a thousand miles with 3 clutch springs, long story! Thumbs Up .

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:50 - 05 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate it's not the same for all (though I'd suggest we don't meet on a roundabout Razz ), but this is the impression I've got from the majority of Ducati owners - met enough that don't spend longer polishing than riding and some who are a fair bit faster riders than me, I reckon. However it's still a minority thus, in my experience.

I probably wouldn't have great things to say about a lot of SV owners either (hmmm, maybe I should stop making enemies of /everyone/ ! Smile )

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the fact that no body has accepted what i said before.
that they make v twins because they have the machines to make v twins and cant mass produce(if anything they do could be called mass production) anything else without going bump ,financialy speaking

Klause
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

wristjob wrote:
that they make v twins because they have the machines to make v twins and cant mass produce(if anything they do could be called mass production) anything else without going bump ,financialy speaking

They make V-fours you numpty. They sell their road bikes mainly to finance the race bikes. If it sells, works on the road and on the track why change it.

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klause wrote:
wristjob wrote:

They make V-fours you numpty. They sell their road bikes mainly to finance the race bikes. If it sells, works on the road and on the track why change it.

so i can go into a shop and buy a v4 duc?(not the just released gp replica)
or are the v4 a very select production run?
like gp style like money is no object because they make so few?

Hotdog
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:28 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies !!

The thread is:

I for one can't be bothered with electrically and mechanically unreliable rubbish that needs very expensive servicing - very regularly.....

Two new cambelts every 20,000 miles ??

How dumb is that ?

Hotdog.

Klause
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotdog wrote:
Ladies !!

The thread is:

I for one can't be bothered with electrically and mechanically unreliable rubbish that needs very expensive servicing - very regularly.....

Two new cambelts every 20,000 miles ??

How dumb is that ?

Hotdog.

You really are a c*ck sometimes. 20,000miles that is loads of miles, cost me about £25 for the pair and you need a 5mm and 6mm allen key to set up, 20min job, better than replacing a cam chain!

Loads of japs bikes have had faults, honda's charging system wasn't exactly great, so what shit happens. Arn't you ment to be a mechanic, should be piss for you or are you really a tea maker for your workshop manager?

Klause
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:44 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

wristjob wrote:

Go on, walk into an TVR dealer and buy a family car. TIT.

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:56 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klause wrote:
wristjob wrote:

Go on, walk into an TVR dealer and buy a family car. TIT.

tvr not a good example as they re going tits up as we speak.
are you saying that they make the v twin because its the best engine they can think of?
moto guzzi make variations on that twin they do for the exact same reason(its the best engine in the world)or i could be that its just the engine they have machines to make.
i am a big fan of ducati i think they have a real flair.
but lets be honest.
they want a 1200 superbike bcause its a bigger bore on a tool set they already have.
just be honest and give up the dream performance

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:11 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Don't think it is the machinery that they need to make a 4. Not that much different (and the machining for a V twin will be more expensive anyway). And they had no problems building parallel twins 25 years ago at the same time as V twins.

What it does require is a hell of a lot of effort designing a new engine. Look how evolutionairy the Japanese 4s have been and how rare they actually design a complete new engine (eg, the original Yamaha 5 valve 4, brought out in 1985 for the FZ750 and finally replaced well over a decade later when Yamaha brought out the R1).

And Ducati can quite happily make money flogging twins without the risk of developing a 4 (especially as the high performance models are apparently only a small number of their sales).

All the best

Keith

Klause
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:11 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also costs all the jap makes to refit their factorys, just they have other backings, Honda cars etc, kawasaki use to make subs didn't they? Yamaha well their symbol is a panio key thing so no clues there!

I think out of all of them only honda make bikes as a big part of their company, the rest have bigger side lines. So neehh, they all make them for fun really and will happily stop if sales go down. Ducati race and so does honda the rest just do it as a side line.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:15 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klause wrote:
Ducati race and so does honda the rest just do it as a side line.

Tell that to the bloke who signed off Rossi's salary...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:17 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klause wrote:
kawasaki use to make subs didn't they?

Kawasaki are a massive company (good chance they are bigger than Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha), but the motorcycle divisionis just about the only one that sells to the public. They almost justify it as a marketing exercise.

All the best

Keith

Klause
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:17 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah exactly they don't race they advertise, please rossi make yamaha look good. Wink

Kickstart wrote:
Klause wrote:
kawasaki use to make subs didn't they?

Kawasaki are a massive company (good chance they are bigger than Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha), but the motorcycle divisionis just about the only one that sells to the public. They almost justify it as a marketing exercise.

All the best

Keith

I believe if sales drop 13% they stop making bikes and focus on the main things they make. My head lecturer use to be a main rep for kawasaki and gives useless facts like that, also they rust alot Thumbs Up !

Last edited by Klause on 01:20 - 06 Jun 2006; edited 1 time in total

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:20 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you turning into a Ducati bore now you own one Wave? Wink

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:21 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i think the old 916 body work was probably one of the best body works/fairings ever made for a bike.

Having seen the old 916,996,748 sitting right next to a new 999,749 i realised that i personally think the old looks better than the new!

The new looks like an MV Augusta gone wrong, it really does imitate the MV Augusta in a very bad pathetic way, same as how the new GSXRs K5&K6 also imitate the MV Augusta very badly!!
It all started when they tried to copy the MV Augusta's front head light design to a very poor look!
Look at the pictures and tell if im right or right!
Just look at the evidence from the pictures?

Personally i wouldnt own an Italian bike am too scared of little simple things going wrong due to me once owning an Italian bike, i maintained it all the time, serviced it all the time, had good mechanics working on it and the little bastard Aprillia still misbehaved!

They do look nice, and after a while the looks grew on me, so Wave your bike looks nice but if i had to choose between a 999 or R1, I would choose an R1!

Even if i won a ducati 999 in a competion i would sell it straight away and use the money to get an R1, im just tooo in love with the sound of inline four engines whereas Vtwin or whatever V engines sounds like unorganised noise to me!

And are you sure that you didnt get that post by accident from a homsexual ducati forum! Thumbs Up Razz

Just my 2 cents

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:31 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klause wrote:
I believe if sales drop 13% they stop making bikes and focus on the main things they make. My head lecturer use to be a main rep for kawasaki and gives useless facts like that, also they rust alot Thumbs Up !

Not sure, as I suspect their sales vary by far more than that anyway (unlike Honda who sell loads of commuters, Kawasaki mainly sell sports bikes where the sales are more variable with the financial position.

And giving up selling bikes would hardly be focusing on other things. Be like Ford giving up making the odd F1 engine to concentrate on road cars.

All the best

Keith

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:33 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klause wrote:
Yeah exactly they don't race they advertise, please rossi make yamaha look good. Wink

So, if Ducati race and win they're racers. If Yamaha race and win, they're just advertising. Do these massive blinkers that Ducati owners have come free with the bike? Razz

How about reigning World Superbike Champion Troy Corser, aboard a Suzuki then? Or, reigning AMA Superbike Champion Matt Mladin also aboard a Suzuki. Jeez, if these teams are just playing then it doesn't say much for Ducati, the real racers, does it? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

extreme3d
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wave.... you looked into the serviceing costs yet Question. Might be an idea before you run up to many miles Wink . IMO that's perhaps the only disadvantage of a duke over a typical equivilent Jap bike. (as performance wise it's just what you prefer). You can get a Jap bike serviced pretty much anywhere or even do it yourself. You may get problems with warranty etc and the re-sale price might be effected, but it would still sell. A ducati MUST be serviced by a ducati garage or no one would even go near it when it comes to selling it on.... (due to the unique valves, belts etc) and with a typical 8000 mile service on the 749 costing £800 Shocked .......

Hotdog
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:41 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

extreme3d wrote:
A ducati MUST be serviced by a ducati garage or no one would even go near it when it comes to selling it on.... (due to the unique valves, belts etc) and with a typical 8000 mile service on the 749 costing £800

Hey !!

The exact point I was trying to make.

Smile

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am i the only person in the world that thinks Ducati's just sound like wet farts? Confused

extreme3d
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark wrote:
Am i the only person in the world that thinks Ducati's just sound like wet farts? Confused

Yes Razz

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:07 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

extreme3d wrote:
Dark wrote:

Yes Razz

Bugger Crying or Very sad

extreme3d
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark wrote:

Bugger Crying or Very sad

You've clearly not had a Grandad's oldie bullet 500 brigade drive past your house yet... after that even a Ducati sounds like a turbine Laughing

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 12:37 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

extreme3d wrote:
Wave.... you looked into the serviceing costs yet

Yea got given a good contact in dartford for £250 for my next service Thumbs Up

also you buggered up a little bit

Ducatis dont have an 8,000 miles service
they have a 600 6000 and 12000
or 1 or 2 years depending on which comes first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4