Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Advice on Work, RE. sick and sack!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

yzf750r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 11 Jun 2006    Post subject: Advice on Work, RE. sick and sack! Reply with quote

I have been off work for 4 weeks with a injury to my wrist, caused at work, and wrote in the accident book. I have been off work now for 4 weeks and due to go back tomorrow.

Right, a mate from work says they'll get rid of me, but I thought I couldn't get sacked whilst off Sick with a doctors note!

Can they get rid of me or am I right?

Thanks. Thumbs Up

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 11 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could, and then you could take them to the cleaners for unfair dismissal. Twisted Evil

Ahmato_
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:32 - 11 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
They could, and then you could take them to the cleaners for unfair dismissal. Twisted Evil

Oh yes, do that, do that Twisted Evil

Unless you enjoyed your work Rolling Eyes

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:27 - 11 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then could get rid of you. But, as said unfair dismissal kicks in then. You could make things very awkward for them.

ginguar
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:51 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how long you have been working for them and what sort of contract you are under. For example if you are still in your probation period they can very easily get rid of you with no come back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

msgander
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:09 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The regs are very different now, dont worry about your probationary period, especially as it was an accident at work. They'd be hard pushed to dismiss you on being off sick so long alone.

Have they any other issues such as performance etc? Even so, if they do dismiss for the sake of completing a tribunal application which doesnt cost you a penny, go for it!

If they dont go through proper procedures ie inviting you in for investigatory meeting, disciplinary meeting (which they would have to do whatever they are dismissing for, give you the right to appeal their decision, in which case appeal! - because otherwise you have not a lot of clout if you take it to tribunal as you wont have exhausted the process etc etc), then take them for every penny.

How clued up are they?

RealNinja
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a similar situation where I work, a bloke was run over with a fork lift within 3 weeks of starting with us.

Company paid him full pay for about 12 weeks before they started to make any noise about getting shot of him, but this was mainly down to the fact that it was a work based accident that they could have been held liable for.

I suppose it depends on how much you want the job and how much they want to keep you.

However, what has been said here is true, if they sack you for having the injury you can take them for unfair dismissal while you are on a doctors note.

yzf750r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the reassurance!

Like I suspected it was my mate trying to wind me up.

Went to work today and have got to get a note from my doctor to sign me back on. And have to see the company nurse at the end of the month for an assessment but nothing else was said!

Thankyou all anyway! Thumbs Up

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:36 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait!,

Unfair dismissal sounds great , but in fact it is not , sure go sue you boss , win or lose its quite common for them to be bitter and tell everybody about it

"He sued me"

this is a statement of fact not slander or libel and thus can be said aloud without recourse.

which just means unless you want to stay in that job forever you'll never work in the same industry ever again.

Bosses hate trouble makers and if you've been looking at past trends you shouldn't sue bosses , just look what happens bosses are iffy about employing women of a certain age now.

It shouldn't be like this , unfortunately is it
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

vixen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

All they can do is give you a warning if you are on a perminant contract and passed your probation.

You can appleal the warning as the accident was caused at work. Thumbs Up

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 01:40 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Bosses hate trouble makers and if you've been looking at past trends you shouldn't sue bosses , just look what happens bosses are iffy about employing women of a certain age now.

Because of black people turning every dismissal into a race argument i know plenty of bosses who wont touch them, even though they arent racist (sounds like a contradiction).
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

Paul@125power
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 02:45 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
Because of black people turning every dismissal into a race argument i know plenty of bosses who wont touch them, even though they arent racist (sounds like a contradiction).

I agree. I've seen it happen. Stick on a turbin and they won't dare even look at you wrong.

Yamaha YQ100 (RIP)......Honda CBR125R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 20:20 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

my understanding is that if you have worked there less than 12 months they can get rid of you for no reason, so some places will get rid for the slightest thing

biker-dj
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:36 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife had a very similar thing happen to her. She was off work with a bad back, with a sick note etc, her boss said that if she wasn't going to return to work by the next week he would sack her - which he did. She contacted CAB etc and she didn't have a leg to stand on because she hadn't worked there for more than 2 years!! Harsh but apparantly thats something to do with employment law.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
Itchy wrote:

no contradiction , I worked for a woman boss 9 months ago all her staff were men and she'd bin CVs from women ,
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker-dj wrote:
My wife had a very similar thing happen to her. She was off work with a bad back, with a sick note etc, her boss said that if she wasn't going to return to work by the next week he would sack her - which he did. She contacted CAB etc and she didn't have a leg to stand on because she hadn't worked there for more than 2 years!! Harsh but apparantly thats something to do with employment law.

I thought it was 1 year? , there was a union speech about it a couple years back,

workers start to pay income tax from day one why not rights from day one why rights at day 365?

biker-dj
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:11 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

I thought it was 1 year? , there was a union speech about it a couple years back,

workers start to pay income tax from day one why not rights from day one why rights at day 365?

You may be right but I'm sure 2 years was mentioned when she made enquiries. Confused

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:38 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i got it done to me. i crashed my bike 3 months ago and was off for 2 months, yes not work related but they didnt want me back incase i hurt it more and i tried to claim. i was fine when i went back but then my knee which was still sore was playing up and i said it to one the nurses i work with and since then my hours have been changed to bank staff (only called one in blue moon) and i havent worked in two weeks now and i am not even on the rota anymore. sneaky so and sos. so i am out of a job now for sure and nothing i can do about it as they changed my contract i didnt even get chance to sign.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 322 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1