Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Company van ? How much does it cost me?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Company van – How much does it cost me? Reply with quote

Been trying to work out how much my work van actually cost me in tax. Had a look on the HM revenue site, but I’m not really clicking with it.

55Reg van. I pay 9P/Mile for personal use and all journeys are recorded. Fuel card for the van and everything van related goes on expenses.

From what I can work out I pay £110 tax to have the privilege of being able to use this van, even if I don’t use it and I pay for any use is on top of this.

For the record I don’t really use it. 10 miles a month is usual. Normally less, sometimes more if we take the pit bike out. I have my own car and bike so the van is my least favourite weapon of choice.

Now, 2007 the tax laws change and I’ll end up paying £660 tax to have this van. £660 to babysit at weekends this van I rarely use. Work mileage is 2,000 -2,5000miles/month, personal 10-20.

So, how much do I actually pay out to have this van, and am I going to be shafted in 2007 when the tax rate goes up?

My car AND bike insurance/tax comes in at under £500 for the year, so I’m trying to avoid paying double.

Yes, I’ve asked my work, but they’re always going to paint it in a rosy colour as it’s to their benefit for me to have this van.

Thumbs Up

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hand it back with a firm "No thanks." Hand

Ant
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

or collect it from work and drop it off at night (where possible) and i dont think you'll end up paying anything!

Keef
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:35 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i work for the council . have a van i get taxed around 4hundred a year . i take the van home but am not allowed to use it ( although i do. to go to my girlfriends if im staying over nite ) after reading your post mite have to look into the matter
Shocked Shocked Very Happy

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:44 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this one , must have changed a little , normally there is a scale charge with vans of a fixed amount per year ,

a scale charge must have changed though , just don't have ANY personal use on it , keep a monkey bike in the back or something or maybe a £500 Sachs mad ass in the back to get home and back, no use = no benefit in kind = no extra tax liabilities.

If they make you ride for the company to deliver stuff (and before anybody says if you can carry an ENOURMOUS amount of shit on a bike I carried a fridge a few days ago) , claim it back via your employer via increased wages , or if he doesn't give you jack , claim it off your tax via a P87 form or a self assessment tax return form remembering to record your milage and keep petrol recipets.

there was an identical situation today in work
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be interested to see what happens in my work when the new tax rules come in. If they think I'll paying nearly 700 quid a year for the van, they can think again. In fairness to them though, I don't pay a penny at the moment. I assume they must pay any tax on it for me.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:04 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Blue wrote:
I'll be interested to see what happens in my work when the new tax rules come in. If they think I'll paying nearly 700 quid a year for the van, they can think again. In fairness to them though, I don't pay a penny at the moment. I assume they must pay any tax on it for me.

funnily enough having the tax paid for you for something is also considered a taxable perk , but if the co pays the tax for you again it also becomes a taxable perk.

doesn't surprise me , Gordon's fucked up the economy (and has been hiding all sorts of dark secrets in it) and has to raise taxes even more , like yesterday there was a proposal to weigh wheelie bins for council tax in ADDITION to what is already paid.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
funnily enough having the tax paid for you for something is also considered a taxable perk , but if the co pays the tax for you again it also becomes a taxable perk.

Confused Dunno how they get round that one.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:45 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

its called not telling the revenue , which is unrealistic anyway , imagine if everybody had to account for everything , the revenue would be in more of a mess than it is now.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my P11D through today for last year.

Quote:
van was available for private use from 27/01/2006 to 05/04/2006 (not available for 296days). Van is less than four years old, standard charge =£500. Less reduction for days not availabe = £94.52 .
Van benefit calculated as £94

After speaking to them and giving the whole "i don't use it, i don't want to have to pay to have something thats no use to me" they told me that next year if my use is insignificant i don't have to pay any tax on it. The taxable amount goes up, but they're giving more slack in how much you can do with it.

Quote:
Examples of insignificant use: an employee who

* takes an old mattress or other rubbish to the tip once or twice a year
* regularly makes a slight detour to stop at a newsagent on the way to work
* calls at the dentist on his way home.

Examples of use which is NOT insignificant: an employee who

* uses the van to do the supermarket shopping each week
* takes the van away on a week’s holiday
* uses the van outside of work for social activities.

The word ‘insignificant’ is not defined, so it takes its normal English meaning. For example, the New Oxford English Dictionary defines it as, “too small or unimportant to be worth consideration”. These examples illustrate what it means in practice:

Roll on having my own car and claiming 40P/mile!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 321 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1