Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Diesel Spills Early Day Motion

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Vin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 19 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur Nicholas Winston Soames Rolling Eyes Emailed today. I will eat my driving licence if he signs it Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 10:06 - 19 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sent 2 emails to mine, one through the BMF site and another from my personal address.

She hasn't signed it - which surprises me considering how many bikers there are in Stoubridge. Smile
I'll keep my eyes on that list to see if she changes her mind. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sadie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 19 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
She hasn't signed it

She's not a government minister, is she?

Annabella

PostPosted: 12:08 - 19 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadie wrote:

Pass!

I don't believe so though. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 13:35 - 19 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
Sadie wrote:
Pass!...

this site wrote:
Lynda Waltho

Stourbridge Majority: 407

PPS to David Hanson as Minister of State, Northern Ireland Office...

Don't know if being a PPS rules her out of signing, don't think it should Confused

HTH Thumbs Up

Sadie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 19 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
Don't know if being a PPS rules her out of signing, don't think it should Confused

HTH Thumbs Up

PPS's cannot sign EDMs.

I'm surprised that Annabella did not receive a letter to tell her that, at least! Bad form on Lynda Waltho's part.

Annabella

PostPosted: 13:55 - 19 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadie wrote:
PPS's cannot sign EDMs.

I'm surprised that Annabella did not receive a letter to tell her that, at least! Bad form on Lynda Waltho's part.

Thank you for letting me know!
I wonder if I will ever get a reply? Would be nice to know if she still supports it or not.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 16:13 - 19 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that'll be why my one didn't sign it then, she's one of these PPS thingys too.

She didn't tell me that though!

Annabella

PostPosted: 16:26 - 19 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal Parliamentary Secretary.... or something like that.

Like a PA basically.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 17:31 - 19 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see my MP listed there, so have dropped him a line.

I got a nice personal letter from him, and then the shadow transport minister regarding the 3rd Eu driving licence issue, so hopefully he'll be as accomodating with the issue of Diesel spills.

a

southlondoner
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:32 - 19 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MP seems to have already signed it..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Vin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 22 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got a nice letter back from Mr Soames saying he is a supporter of the BMF and that he has signed the EDM. Maybe we will get him on a Fireblade. Very Happy
He hasn't appeared on the list yet but I guess that may take a while to catch up. I will be checking....no licence eating until his name appears.
Vin

Sadie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 23 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin wrote:
He hasn't appeared on the list yet but I guess that may take a while to catch up. I will be checking....no licence eating until his name appears.
Vin

I believe that after the initial period where the list is updated daily, it is then updated weekly, although I'm not 100% sure on that.

Vin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

134 MP's signed up now including one Nicholas Soames. Good on him. Does that mean little old me made an MP do something? I think I'll frame the letter. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
All we need now is Blair and his cronies to take it seriously.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 14:36 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin wrote:
Arthur Nicholas Winston Soames ...I will eat my driving licence if he signs it Mr. Green
Vin wrote:
134 MP's signed up now including one Nicholas Soames....

Do you want salt and pepper on that licence?

Wink Very Happy

P.S. just had a sick thought about that and being given a 'producer' by the police Sick Embarassed Razz

Vin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
Do you want salt and pepper on that licence?
Wink Very Happy

LOL Eaten already Whistle Liar

Quote:

P.S. just had a sick thought about that and being given a 'producer' by the police Sick Embarassed Razz

Mr. Green

Annabella

PostPosted: 15:20 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:

Shocked

Map! Behave!

*places tracker bar to one side for a few minutes*

Still no reply from my MP, not even to let me know she can't sign EDMs Sad Rubbish.

Sadie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:03 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

139 this morning - WOW! Thumbs Up

Vin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 03 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still 139 so BUMP!
I don't think its too late. Thumbs Up

Annabella

PostPosted: 16:17 - 03 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a letter from Linda Waltho!

She explained that she was unable to sign the EDM, but was making her support of it known. Thumbs Up

Sadie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 08 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to come to the KillSpills Rally!

Quote:
8 August 2006

THE DIESEL MENACE - THOUSANDS SET FOR LONDON KILLSPILLS RALLY

Saturday 9th September 2006

With just a month to go, all the signs are that this year’s KillSpills Rally, a ride to Westminster to raise the profile of the menace that spilt diesel presents to the UK’s 1.2 million motorcycle and scooter riders, will be by far the biggest yet.

Now in its third year, the BMF sponsored KillSpills Rally, starting from the Ace Cafe, London and ending at the Houses of Parliament, last year attracted over 2,500 riders concerned that the lethal danger of spilt diesel on our roads has for too long been ignored.

Diesel spilt on our roads via over-full fuel tanks, poorly fitted filler caps or no cap at all, is a menace to those on two wheels. Difficult to see until too late, spilt diesel on road surfaces can be a lethal combination, especially when encountered on a bend or at a roundabout.

The 120,000 strong British Motorcyclists Federation has long campaigned on the issue of spilt diesel and is again sponsoring the KillSpills Rally as a way of bringing the issue to a wider audience.

According to Department for Transport figures, between 2000 and 2004, there were 467 serious accidents with 16 people dying as a result of oil/diesel spillage and a further 2,403 accidents resulting in slight injury, but it is well known that if another vehicle is not involved and injuries are slight, an accident goes unreported, masking what is estimated to be a much bigger problem

Concerned at the scale of the problem, biking MP Bill Wiggin tabled an Early Day Motion (EDM) on diesel spills which attracted the support of over 120 MPs and a

delegation from the KillSpills Rally will call at 10 Downing Street to present Prime Minister Tony Blair with an action plan and a third-year anniversary card signed by thousands of motorcyclists.

Supported by its preferred insurance provider Bennetts, the BMF has also provided a KillSpills achievement award to be presented on the day to the company who has done most to reduce the risk of diesel spills from their vehicles.

THE KILLSPILLS 7 POINT ACTION PLAN:

1. Warning signs should be displayed at service stations informing diesel users of the dangers of overfilling diesel tanks or not refitting the filler cap correctly.

2. The Highway Code should highlight the dangers of spilt diesel and publicise the penalties of spilling diesel on the public highway

3. The THINK! Campaign should be used to get the diesel spill message across: “Think! - Diesel Spills Can Kill”

4. Lobby for European wide resolution to ensure that future generations of commercial vehicles have anti-spill devices fitted as standard

5. Government Departments and Local Authorities to lead by example, ensuring that their drivers are fully briefed about the dangers of overfilling a diesel tank or not refitting the filler cap correctly

6. Introduce a general Road Safety Hotline that the public can use to report diesel spills and other road safety issues

7. Diesel spills are recognised as a hazard in the Department for Transport Network Management Duty Guidance, but there are no Home Office guidelines to the emergency services relating to treatment of diesel spillage. This should be corrected as part of joined-up government.

Diesel spillage is an important issue that has been ignored for too long say the BMF, September 9th is designed to change all that!

The run coincides with the 12th Ace Cafe Reunion Weekend so although there will be a serious message, it will also be an opportunity for riders to attend a fun day at the Ace cafe!

Join the ride, wear the T shirt, share the day - be there if you care!

KillSpills London Rally, Saturday 9th September.

Ride assembles at 11.00hrs starts at 13.00 hrs at the Ace Cafe London,

North Circular Road.

Full details on the rally, ride-in points, a poster download and how to buy an official KillSpills T- shirt, can all be found on:

www.bmf.co.uk or go direct to www.killspills.org.uk

ENDS

Issued by Jeff Stone: t: 0121 709 1040 m: 07802 763094 e: jeff.stone@bmf.co.uk

Details on this and other BMF activities can also be found on our web site: https://www.bmf.co.uk

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:09 - 08 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im coming, might have to drag colin1 along as well. (Pillion, if you have to col! Laughing)

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 19:41 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies if others have had a similar letter forwarded by their MP, Gareth Thomas sent me the following reply to his questions on my behalf:

Quote:

Thank you for your letter of 28 June enclosing an email from your constituent Mr James, which expressed support for Early Day Motion 2276 on Diesel Spillage.
We are well aware of the "Kill Spills" campaign and share the concerns expressed about diesel spillage, as has been set out in the Government's Motorcycling Strategy which can be found at the following address:

https://.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/page/dft_roads_035439.pdf

Clearly this is an important issue, but before taking action we believe that more robust evidence is needed to quantify the road safety risk and identify the precise causation factors. To this end we are reviewing work that has been done to date. We shall be leading the work of the Motorcycle & Technical, Engineering and Environmental Task Group (which includes a representative from Kill Spills) so as to understand the situation more fully and help develop solutions.

STEPHEN LADYMAN

Annabella

PostPosted: 14:03 - 26 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a big brown envelope from the House of Commons this morning. With my heart racing desperately trying to recall all my wrong doings of the previous three months I tore it open.

Another letter from Lynda Waltho.

Lynda Waltho wrote:

"Dear Miss Perry,

Please find enclosed a response received from Stephen Ladyman MP, the Minister of State in the Department for Transport in answer to my letter about EDM 2276.

As you will see the Government i aware of the campaign and is broadly supportive and has set their concerns in the Motorcycling Strategy, a copy of which I have printed for you.

I am sure you will agree that there i little use of implementing changes until the risk and causes have been effectively quanitified.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I hope thi sreply assures you of the Government's position."

The enclosed letter:

Stephen Ladyman wrote:

Dear Lynda,

Thank you for your letter of 21 July expressing the concerns of your consituents about diesel spillage and their support for Early Day Motion 2276.

Firstly I would like to express my sympathy for your consituent who suffered a cracked vertabra in a motorcycle accident caused by a diesel spill. We are aware of the "Kills Spills" campaign and share the concerns expressed about diesel spillage, as has been set out in the Government's Motorcycling Strategy which can be found at the following address:

https://.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/page/dft_roads_035439.pdf

Clearly this is an important issue, but before taking action we believe that more robust evidence is needed to quantify the road safety risk and identify the precise causation factors. To this end we are reviewing work that has been done to date. We are leading hte work of the Motorcycle Technical Engineering and Environment Task Group (which includes a representative from Kill Spills) so as to understand the situation more fully and help develop solutions.

So basically, they are doing more research to decide if diesel spills really do cause accidents.

Part of the government paper discusses the effects of a motion to reduce diesel spills - it seems concerned with the feedback from hauliers.

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 26 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
The enclosed letter:

Stephen Ladyman wrote:

Dear Lynda,

Thank you for your letter of 21 July expressing the concerns of your consituents about diesel spillage and their support for Early Day Motion 2276.

Firstly I would like to express my sympathy for your consituent who suffered a cracked vertabra in a motorcycle accident caused by a diesel spill. We are aware of the "Kills Spills" campaign and share the concerns expressed about diesel spillage, as has been set out in the Government's Motorcycling Strategy which can be found at the following address:

Clearly this is an important issue, but before taking action we believe that more robust evidence is needed to quantify the road safety risk and identify the precise causation factors. To this end we are reviewing work that has been done to date. We are leading hte work of the Motorcycle Technical Engineering and Environment Task Group (which includes a representative from Kill Spills) so as to understand the situation more fully and help develop solutions.

Or even:

https://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/page/dft_roads_035439.pdf

(it's from February 2005, so don't get excited about anything new)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 249 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4