Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Monthly bandwidth for, e.g. BCF?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

impaler
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:38 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Monthly bandwidth for, e.g. BCF? Reply with quote

Does anyone have an educated guesstimate of the kind of bandwidth a forum like BCF uses in a month and the speed of the required internet connection? I mean, does it require a dedicated server and many gigabytes of data transfer, or could you get reasonable performance on an ADSL line with a few hundred megabytes of data a month?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 17:23 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Re: Monthly bandwidth for, e.g. BCF? Reply with quote

impaler wrote:
...a forum like BCF...

Depends how much 'like'. BCF has 17,000 users, and over 1 million posts. Plus BCF allows upload of images & files. The bandwidth used must be huuge.

A 'similar' (i.e. it's a PHP based web forum) board I use, is pretty active but only has 200 members, doesn't allow uploads and has been tweaked to reduce bandwidth used was run quite happily for years from my mates house on a cable modem
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 17:32 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Re: Monthly bandwidth for, e.g. BCF? Reply with quote

impaler wrote:
could you get reasonable performance on an ADSL line with a few hundred megabytes of data a month?

If you only have a few users, and you don't allow image uploads, then maybe.

Remember though, that while all the users are using your ADSL connection to view the forum, your ability to browse the internet through the same ADSL line will be utterly screwed. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

impaler
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:43 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I realise it was a bit of a vague question. I am thinking about starting a (totally unrelated) message board using my home server, but obviously only having 256kbps upload on my ADSL line might make things a bit painful. I suppose if the number of concurrent users is low enough then it'll be adequate.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:29 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use your line at the same time as serving nets, definitely get some 'proper' hosting - from £1 a month or so gets you a much more reliable connection and means that your browsing isn't slowed down when a few people log in.

impaler
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:42 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I used to have some low cost hosting for my little, never visited, personal website. A while ago I decided I wanted to stick a Coppermine gallery on there, along with a content management system for my website. Seeing as the very low cost hosting I've seen doesn't generally have PHP and MySQL databases I decided to host from home. But I agree, in the unlikely event I produced a popular website I'd have to go for paid hosting.

To date my web server hasn't really impacted on the performance of my general web use (a bit of extra upload hasn't made much difference). Being on an ADSL Max line will maybe help even further, if Tiscali ever get round to offering me the service Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:47 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most low cost hosting comes with php and mysql these days.

When hosting stuff from home (cable so only 128 up though) I found it made quite a difference, more when people were downloading a bigger file (ie a picture or similar).

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:52 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but we don't have 17000 users , we have about 7000-8000 ish , since we get lots of people who log on ask a question and are never seen again.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:23 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Think Korn said the bandwidth was about 25~30gb a month, but that was 2 years ago and it is busier now.

All the best

Keith

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 23:25 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite scarily so, yes.

Last month - which was BCF's highest traffic month to date - the site got through 212 Gb of bandwidth.

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 23:29 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korn wrote:
Quite scarily so, yes.

Last month - which was BCF's highest traffic month to date - the site got through 212 Gb of bandwidth.

That must have cost alot, bearing in mind I was told it's about £120 a year for 40GB allowance a month. In saying there has been over a million messages posted, if a forum I made did that I would be proud.

And yet you don't beg us to donate like the other forums.

Commendable.

Thumbs Up

senna_f4
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:03 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

impaler wrote:
Yeah, I used to have some low cost hosting for my little, never visited, personal website. A while ago I decided I wanted to stick a Coppermine gallery on there, along with a content management system for my website. Seeing as the very low cost hosting I've seen doesn't generally have PHP and MySQL databases I decided to host from home. But I agree, in the unlikely event I produced a popular website I'd have to go for paid hosting.

To date my web server hasn't really impacted on the performance of my general web use (a bit of extra upload hasn't made much difference). Being on an ADSL Max line will maybe help even further, if Tiscali ever get round to offering me the service Smile

Impaler,
From my experince in admining:
1. MySQL can become CPU intensive if a large db is used, then you will need a powerfull server.
2. If the images are stored off site there will be less bandwidth usage.
That is if you have a daynamic web page you can run the CPU intensive stuff on your home server and host the images offsite on cheap hosting. Bit tricky if you want to update the images though.
But if it is a download only site then no problems.

Say you could have a blog/forum at home but all images you upload on a third party server you get for a low cost. People can still leave comments and stuff (text only)

Hope it helps

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korn wrote:
Quite scarily so, yes.

Yeah, but what was it when you took Siggi's rant threads out of the equation?

Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:15 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

phantomtek wrote:

That must have cost alot, bearing in mind I was told it's about £120 a year for 40GB allowance a month. In saying there has been over a million messages posted, if a forum I made did that I would be proud.

I don't know the details, but I suspect that would be no where near the 'quality' of connection that BCF is hosted on.

I have seen plenty of examples of cheap hosts. They are often ok to start with, but if you get to the point of using a slghtly reasonable proportion of the bandwidth allowed, you start to find increasingly bad service, to the point your sites are down more than they are up.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 16:18 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

impaler wrote:
Thanks for the replies, I realise it was a bit of a vague question. I am thinking about starting a (totally unrelated) message board using my home server, but obviously only having 256kbps upload on my ADSL line might make things a bit painful. I suppose if the number of concurrent users is low enough then it'll be adequate.

Even if your message board becomes successful, it will take time, so you can worry about not having enough capcity if you actually manage to attract some users.

Chriss
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 17 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

BT now do SDSL, which is much better for hosting than ADSL, for obvious reasons (Google it if you're not sure what SDSL is).

SDSL is limited to 2Mbit though.

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 17 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriss wrote:
BT now do SDSL, which is much better for hosting than ADSL, for obvious reasons (Google it if you're not sure what SDSL is).

BT's SDSL sucks and is overpriced...

And you can get bonded sdsl if you like so 2 * 2 meg sdsl = 4 meg a second in both directions...

www.newnet.co.uk are the cheapest sdsl provider i can find and it's still about 150 a month for a 2 meg i believe.

impaler
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:28 - 17 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriss wrote:

SDSL seems a bit crazy to me... especially as it starts at £170/month+VAT Shocked
I am somewhat amazed at the >200Gb that BCF uses in a month! How does Korn fund such a huge amount of data?? If I was him I'd have a Paypal donation link on BCF somewhere.

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 17 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

impaler wrote:
Chriss wrote:

SDSL seems a bit crazy to me... especially as it starts at £170/month+VAT Shocked
I am somewhat amazed at the >200Gb that BCF uses in a month! How does Korn fund such a huge amount of data?? If I was him I'd have a Paypal donation link on BCF somewhere.

He owns the server that runs bcf, he hosts several other sites that he gets paid for i believe ( just as the official iron madien website i believe) and he also gets quite a bit of money through adds on this site i would imagine.

Owe and the bcf server is hosted in america which i believe makes things cheaper aswell.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:07 - 17 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriss wrote:

I dream of a 2mbit connection. Hard enough getting a broadband connection at all.

All the best

Keith

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 17 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Chriss wrote:

I dream of a 2mbit connection. Hard enough getting a broadband connection at all.

All the best

Keith

sell half a dozen of your bikes and you'll have enough for the install fee of a leased line Smile.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:23 - 17 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish.

We are 7km from the exchange by the scenic route that the cables take (just over 5km by road, about 4km directly). Result was that it was only September 2004 when we could get broadband and only then a 512 connection.

Satellite would have been hideously expensive, leased lines even more so.

All the best

Keith

Lawnie
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:13 - 18 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, 512Kbps is still fast enough for the majority of Internet users. This obviously excludes those on a LAN or with the need to download several hundred megabytes of data an evening. Furthermore, those with the faster connections will also notice fewer websites who offer an equivalent upload transfer rate per connection.

Although we're on 10Mbps, I cannot honestly justify having all this bandwidth. Downloading by HTTP/FTP from anything other than Blueyonder or Microsoft, will not be at 1.2MBps, unless with the use of a spyware-ridden download accelerator.

Ahmato_
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:37 - 18 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate, I'm not sure if this has come up but try:

https://byethost.com/freeplans.php

Brilliant Stuff there Thumbs Up

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 18 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandwidth is a lot cheaper than indicated. Never mind webhosting, you can rent an unmanaged dedicated server with 1000GB a month for under 50 quid (hosting in Germany or the USA is usually far cheaper than the UK - and for something like this forum is just as good). In the UK, £70 a month will get you 3000GB a month .

Take a look here for current examples:

https://webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 319 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2