Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My PC is crap! :(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

yzf750r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: My PC is crap! :( [HELP!] Reply with quote

Right I have got into playing extreme Blast Billiards!

Now, when I turn my PC on and clean all memory, history etc, the game plays smoothly!

However, after a couple of games the balls seem to judder around the table, sometimes they run smoothly but mostly they done!

I know my PC isn't amazing, but can anyone tell me why this is, or what I could get / do to make my games work better!

Thumbs Up

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:06 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defrag your harddrive.

Could be the game writing temporary files as you play, a fragmented disc would cause seek times to go up, therefore juddering as it pauses to read data.

If you're just deleting stuff, you're just creating fragmented spaces which will have a cumulative effect on seek times.

It could also be your computer having a shit amount of ram therefore the game has to page to the hard drive instead. Not much you can do about that one but look on the net for page file defrag tools.

yzf750r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats RAM? I know its memory, but is that when you go in to C drive, if so its 55GB!

I'll try defragging! Thumbs Up

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:13 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No,

That's Hard Disk Space, although if you have a low amount of RAM the operating system will write to the Hard Disk instead of RAM.

RAM is kind of like a Hard Disk, but it's lightning fast at storing at retrieving data. Data stored is only temporary, and is cleared out when you reboot the computer.

Obviously if all of your RAM is getting filled, writing to the Hard Disk instead is a sacrifice, as Hard Disk Read/Write times are massively slower than RAM.

If you right click "My computer" on the Desktop, and select "Properties" you will have an information page saying "System", "Registered To", etc.

If you look at the bottom right it will say something like:

Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
128 MB of RAM.

No prizes for guessing which one indicates how much RAM you have.

Toby

yzf750r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Toby R, it says -

'Intel (R) Celeron (R) CPU 2.00GHZ'
'384MB of RAM'

Is this amount not good enough? Or could it be the game itself? Thumbs Up

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
yzf750r wrote:
Hi Toby R, it says -

'Intel (R) Celeron (R) CPU 2.00GHZ'
'384MB of RAM'

Is this amount not good enough? Or could it be the game itself? Thumbs Up

From your description it sounds like the game is running ok until it's filled your RAM, it then fails to flush the RAM (crappy code in the game) and is then forced to use your much slower pagefile.

More RAM would be best, but defragging your hard-drive might help.

I agree Thumbs Up

It does sound like one of those shitty games that were writting in VB for a Uni Project.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 322 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1