BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Riding on the right for the first time

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

bobnlesley
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:03 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The French ought to be sorted with the roundabout priorities by now, it was a Saturday almost forty years when they changed; I know this because on the day that they did, I rode from a motorbike rally in Switzerland to Le Mans for the French motorbike GP; a memorable day Shocked .
After tens of thousands of miles riding on the 'wrong' side I actually prefer it, but the one thing I remain very wary/conscious of and would warn about is pulling across the road to refuel or park on the left hand side; it's all too easy on a quiet road to get it wrong and not re-cross to the right when you pull back out onto the road.
Also in mainland Europe, at least everyone else is keeping right too, as was once said to me by a helpful Customs officer in Bombay - and only half jokingly: "You sir are from England where you drive on the left of the road and the peoples from America they drive on the right side of the road, but now you are in India and will find that we like to drive on the shady side of the road."
Driving in mainland Europe's really not that difficult, but if you are still worried, then get some early practice in and ride on the right from home to the ferry/tunnel, after that you'll find things are really easy when you set off at the other side Wink
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3