Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ZXR750 Streetfighter/Naked/Whatever Project.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 19 Jun 2006    Post subject: ZXR750 Streetfighter/Naked/Whatever Project. Reply with quote

Well i got an L3 ZXR750 not that many weeks ago, got used to it very quickly etc etc

but i had to take my exhaust/downpipes off as i had to weld up my make-shift flange for the old Acrapovic can i had for my gsxr600k1..

The exhaust i got with the bike must have been blocked or summit as it was hard to start and got red hot! so i decided to get the hacksaw to the flange, did so then welded four nuts onto the pipe to bolt up the acra to.. worked ok, doesny look great but hey!

so getting the old fairings etc off i noticed they were all cracked, repaired etc so i decided fook this i ain't putting them back on, especially as i couldn't be bothered Laughing .. so then came the streetfighter idea...as follows...

Firstly i started hunting for a decent headlight but i didn't want the usual streetfighter crap i.e. twinlights, enduro-style stuff..
so i noticed a set of lights from a 2004 Triumpth Daytona 955i .. they looked pretty mean and self contained (simple design, all moutings, wiring at the back)...

I obviously had to modify the original frame to accomodate the new headlight. Got the grinder out cut it up, lined up all the peices on the ground, welded it back up hit it with hammerite and jobs a good'un.. also fitted a set of arrow indicators, too which i think suit the lights pretty well?

Here's pics of the front.. firstly the bike as it was original, then as it was naked then with the new daytona headlight and arrow indicators.

Original
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/Project_Sapphire/zxr750_3.jpg

Naked
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/Project_Sapphire/naked11.jpg

As it is now!
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/Project_Sapphire/indi02.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/Project_Sapphire/indi01.jpg

So after messing with the front i decided to mess with the back but not too much as you'll find out later.

Just got one of those universal tail tidy things for the Suzuki dealer and another set of arrow lights exactly the same as the front.

Again i got the hacksaw to the bike and whipped off about 1 tonne of hanging plastic and slapped on the tail tidy and indicators.

Went to Maplin and got 2 bright white LED's and drilled two wee holes for them so that they light up the number plate at night. Thumbs Up

New Rear:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/Project_Sapphire/newer01.jpg

LED's (ignore the crappy cutting above numberplate, getting sorted):
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/Project_Sapphire/newer03.jpg

So that was that.. and as i've already for stainless braided lines on the front brakes i decided to do the same for the rear as i replaced the pads anyway..

Goody's:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/Project_Sapphire/newer04.jpg

So that's the story so far.. got plans to make a belly pan from the V-peice and fairings and make up some sort of fly-screen with the rest and the dark screen (also got a standard screen). Will also get a new rear subframe, from what bike i don't know yet. And also a respray of some sort, and some calipers from a gsxr1000k1 as i'm sure they bolt straight on with some 10mm to 8mm spacers Thumbs Up

Any thoughts, input, ideas, etc fire away Wink

yzf750r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 20 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..... dont do it!!!! Laughing Thumbs Up

I had one > here

Yes the gsxr calipers do bolt on. Do you visit red monkey?

There is a guy on there that does the spacer kits for the calipers cheap! Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:13 - 20 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts - a streetfighter that's actually some how 'original', ther emust be something wrong here!

(Yes, that's a compliment Smile ).

Nice to see someone actually trying, rather than salivating over a catalogue of custom parts to make their bike 'unique'!

Side or 3/4 shots would be interesting to see how it looks all in.

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 20 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice bike you had Thumbs Up Mr. Green

I'll pay a visit to that site but i need to register first so i'll do that later.. just in from work and too lazy just now Rolling Eyes

Would be good to find out who does the spacers for the calipers as it'll be one of the next things i'll be doing to it as the brakes aren't too hot on these bikes imo.

Thanks G, i wasn't sure on using the term streetfighter though as it's not really is it? Laughing i dunno what it is other than an insect-looking 'thing'..

will get a decent side or 3/4 shot as soon as i can, weather isn't playing the game just now to get a decent shot.

Thumbs Up

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 19:38 - 20 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not actually a street fighter at the moment...but those lights look the dogs bo***cks!

Straight bars, polished rims, braided hoses, wavey discs, one off seat unit, sorted suspension front and back...and a MEAN ASS paint job to compliment the lights Razz

Now, all you gotta do is rob a bank Thumbs Up Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:28 - 20 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

quacker_boy wrote:

Straight bars, polished rims, braided hoses, wavey discs, one off seat unit, sorted suspension front and back...and a MEAN ASS paint job to compliment the lights Razz

Apart from the bars, those are all components of a custom - if you like custom bikes, fair enough Smile.

The way I've always seen it (though I appreciate many see differently) - a streetfighter is a sports bike adapated so that's it's better for 'street' use, while a lot of so called streetfighters seem to get ridden even slower than the bikes were ridden before they were converted.

2stroker
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:40 - 20 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good dude.

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 20 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not sure about straight or high rise bars as i still want the same sort of handling from the bike. I like sportsbike handling but prefer naked looks so i'm trying to find a balance with a bit of "something different" thrown in..

Still want to ride the bike just as fast as i do just now (albeit probably a bit slower top end due to no fairings).. but i do prefer the riding position of a sportsbike so don't want to lose that.

Was thinking of trying my hand with fibreglass to make a flyscreen/top fairing, belly pan and redo the rear-end without modifying the original subframe.. basically as i can design my own look, use any LED rear cluster of my choice and have a try with fibreglass work. Probably end in tears and i'll go with my original plan but hey Smile

Polishing the rims may take too much time for my liking so i doubt i'll do that but defo give them a refurb/paint.

I'm gonna get a new rear shock as the original is prob knackered anyway.

I tried a very dark metallic green colour but i'm thinking i'll probably just go boring old black, maybe a scheme but i don't know yet until i figure out the bodywork.

Sephiroth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 20 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone said, it looks the danglies.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:54 - 20 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wider bars let you turn in quicker - or at least give the impression the bike does, as you get more leverage for the same force.

Always makes me ride like a twat Neutral.

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 20 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Wider bars let you turn in quicker - or at least give the impression the bike does, as you get more leverage for the same force.

Always makes me ride like a twat Neutral.

yeah but it's the riding position i'm more concerned about.. not too fond of the "up-right" position say that of my Bandit 400..

i guess i'd need to try them.. i'll keep it as an option just don't like the idea too much just now Confused

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:15 - 20 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the riding positions of stock naked bikes, but do like proper mx bars, so worth a try at least - maybe try and blag a go on someone else's bike

Personally I like it to be one extreme or the other - wide bars or narrow clipons, no halfway-house.

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 01:08 - 21 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, the headlamp arrangement reminds me of a gas mask Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

2stroker
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 07:52 - 21 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put some drag bars, or some Renthal ultra low bars (think of the wheelies) on it dude,you cant have a streetfighter with drop bars man Wink .

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 17:33 - 21 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair play G.

But in my opinion a streetfighter is your idea of a 'custom' bike, but i think of the custom bikes as street fighters as the ones you see out here and radically modified, go like shit of a shovel and spend all their time on the back wheel Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1