Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

RAM air scoops on a 'busa

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

mr_pete
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:17 - 23 Jun 2006    Post subject: RAM air scoops on a 'busa Reply with quote

Drilling holes in fairing is not something I was particularly looking forward too, but I have been going eBay happy for daft things to buy for the 'Busa. Currently on the watch list is pair of Gilles chain adjusters.

Anyway, I finally got my delivery of the carbon fibre SRAD ram air scoops I bought, designed (allegedly) to assist in drawing air into the engine, as the actual aerodynamic shape of the 'busa nose allegedly reduces this effect at higher speeds. They were fairly cheap as they had some scuffs, although you can't see them when mounted.

They had 5mm pilot holes drilled in them, but the Suzuki fairing clips are 6mm, so I had to drill them a bit more. Then line them up in the ducts, and mark a point for the main hole. Then drill. Carefully. Praying.

I used a 6mm wood drill to get a pilot hole in the fairing, and then (very gently) used a masonry bit to push the hole through. This was after moving the headlight and indicator wires aside, as they sit alongside the intakes.

Once drilled, the ducts simply slot in, and you fix them with a fairing clip - then they're solid. Want to remove them? Just click it out, and then replace the fairing clip to cover the hole, so it's not "scarred" if you want to leave them off. They protude about 1.5 inches from the indicator, and stay behind the light, but will catch more displaced air.

And they're like the front of the 'busa, i.e. Marmite - you'll either love them or hate them...

Anyway - they look like the attached pics!

Now I just need to paint the insides, as they are raw glass & carbon fibre (not yet polished off) so they don't look icky from the inside!

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 19:28 - 23 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look ok Thumbs Up

Could you not cut them at an angle to go with the bike? or would that have an effect on them taking air in?

mr_pete
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:43 - 23 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmer wrote:
Look ok Thumbs Up

Could you not cut them at an angle to go with the bike? or would that have an effect on them taking air in?

Ta.

You probably could, but the leading edges are moulded, so slicing them would make them look "wrong", and may well crack them. The idea (AFAIK) is to break the airflow enough to get mor air into the ducts, without introducing too much drag - much like the protuding duct on the ZX12R - under the lights, but sticks out a bit before the fairing.

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 24 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

they do look pretty ok, well sculpted so they don't look tacky so Thumbs Up for them..

let us know if you notice any improvement. Thumbs Up

mr_pete
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:06 - 24 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeV6 wrote:
they do look pretty ok, well sculpted so they don't look tacky so Thumbs Up for them..

Ta, and will do. It's the insides that aren't polished - so they look like the inside of something fibreglass. As I've used GSP fairing clips I can remove them and paint the innards later Smile

mr_pete
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:19 - 24 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeV6 wrote:

Could all be psychosomatic, but I did blip it around the M42/M40/A452/A45 and it seems a bit punchier and more "driven" (if that makes sense) - but then I've not really given it much of a razz round since I fitted the Quill cans - which are also supposed to up the power a tad.

Reevo8
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 25 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks surprisingly good! Even having them protruding a bit makes it look sexier from the side!

Might look at some for a Hornet, gotta get some tarty stuff sorted first!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1