Scotland?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:52 - 25 Jun 2006    Post subject: Scotland? Reply with quote

Hi all, first thread in some time, it seems! Smile

Anyway, Ive got a week of coming soon, 3 weeks, Ive got a bike thats just had a service, and a new rear tyre. Mechanically all it needs is a new back break pad.

So, I was thinking, get my leathers on and spend 3 days in Scotland.

Im interested in visiting the Lochs, Lomond and Ness being the ones I want to visit. Prefferably spend it out camping, if Im having fun I might just have to take 4 days instead! Smile

Now, atm luggage wise all Ive got is a tank bag, Oxford Expander (circa 48 litres, its flaming h00ge).

Currently my local Tesco has got some good offers on in relation to camping gear: Tent ~£10, Sleep bag: ~£20 and Bed Roll: ~£15. Cant tell you exacts because its through word of mouth. All those three are in rolls, so I was thinking that a cargo net would do me proud there.

So, Im talking so far ~£50 including the cargo net. Ive got a budget of £200.

So, anything else I should factor in, apart from fuel (me and bike) and campsite costs?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Crash125
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:55 - 25 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midgy repellant, and lots of it!!! Shocked

(not forgetting water proofs, well it is scotland your talking about Razz )

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 11:22 - 26 Jun 2006    Post subject: Re: Scotland? Reply with quote

THCi wrote:
...anything else I should factor in, apart from fuel (me and bike) and campsite costs?...

Beer/whisky money.

Would suggest getting as far north as you can. Loch Lomond and Ness are ok but IMO a bit touristy (is that a word Confused). Lomond is day tripper distance from Glasgow.

If you've time go up to Inverness on the B roads on the right of Loch Ness rather than the A82, just make sure you have petrol. IMO far more scenic and off the beaten track. The roads north of Inverness are fantastic and quite empty. Or you could spend a little time on the B roads and 3 digit A roads around Speyside, perhaps calling in at a few distilleries if that's your thing. Although 4 days might be too short though to go too far north.

One tip for small one man garages in the far north is that the petrol pumps can have the same colour hoses. So it's quite easy to pick diesel by mistake. Good idea to always check before you fill the tank. The ones in towns are usually ok, although expect to pay lots more for petrol the further north you go.

I would emphasise the midge repellant. Can't get enough of the stuff. The buggers like anything dressed in black and sweaty, which basically sums up your average biker.

I'd say just do it. Take as little as you can. Get anything you've missed on the way and treat it as a learning exercise for next time. If you can afford it you can stop for breakfast at cafe's and evening meals in local hotels (FYI you may not see any pubs, everyone drinks in the local hotel bar). If not then buy food as you go, the only possible hassle is carrying/packing cooking stuff.

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:57 - 26 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasnt planning on taking cooking equipment, but might end up taking Ste with me. Always nice to have a touring companion.

Thanks for the input, didnt think of midge repellant. Shocked

Smile

PanEuro1100
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:11 - 26 Jun 2006    Post subject: Scotland Reply with quote

If you have got a Wilkinson store nearby they have a 2-man tent for £10 and sleeping bags for £10 and a self-inflating pillow for £2.49.

I bought a sleeping bag on Thursday and they are good quality as I used it over the weekend at Beaulieu.
Hope this saves some cash for you
Got Provisional 1989, Passed Test 04/1998 - NS125, CG125, XJ600 (Pre Diversion), Suzuki GSF600 Bandit (I loved that bike but too expensive for parts), ST1100 Pan European (lovely bike, a dream to ride).Have a look at my website www.bikers-rest.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:11 - 26 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hows the self inflating pillow work?

Is it a one use thingy? Thinking

tonyyzf
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:26 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, we live 60 miles north of inverness, if you get up this far you are welcome to camp/stay here for a night, if you're interested i can pm you my contact details
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 15:44 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get a camping mat for bike usage, they take up far too much space. You can get a 'backpackers airbed' from Millets for around £10. 6 cells, 3 lungfuls for each cell, packs up nice and small Thumbs Up

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:18 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, dont know the routes I will be taking yet. Ill let you know if I need crashage, thanks for the offer! Smile

Maurice, sounds good! Smile

PanEuro1100
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

THCi wrote:
Hows the self inflating pillow work?

Is it a one use thingy? Thinking

The Pillow has a valve at the side open it and roll it up and it lets the air out, then close the valve and use the elastic to keep it rolled.

To inflate it just undo the elastic, open the valve and it self inflates then close valve to keep air in.

Even has a puncture repair with it!!!!!!!
Got Provisional 1989, Passed Test 04/1998 - NS125, CG125, XJ600 (Pre Diversion), Suzuki GSF600 Bandit (I loved that bike but too expensive for parts), ST1100 Pan European (lovely bike, a dream to ride).Have a look at my website www.bikers-rest.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

scoota bk
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:52 - 12 Jul 2006    Post subject: Re: Scotland? Reply with quote

map wrote:

If you've time go up to Inverness on the B roads on the right of Loch Ness rather than the A82, just make sure you have petrol. IMO far more scenic and off the beaten track.

Can't agree more, rode along that side for the first time ever the other week and was shocked at how nice it was!

https://ourworld.cs.com/scootabk/IMG_1116x.jpg

https://ourworld.cs.com/scootabk/IMG_1119x.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:31 - 12 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a shame I can't afford to go now Sad

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:33 - 12 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That road is fucking insane.

Whoever designed it was a certifiable madman or an evil genius, I can't decide which.

On the bit in the bottom picture, my bike must have totally left the ground no fewer than five times in two miles at three figure speeds.

Wheeeeee!

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 16:00 - 12 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Whoever designed it was a certifiable madman or an evil genius, I can't decide which.

On the bit in the bottom picture, my bike must have totally left the ground no fewer than five times in two miles at three figure speeds.

Wheeeeee!

i suspect it wasnt designed with 3 figure speeds in mind, but i could be wrong Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:09 - 12 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:

i suspect it wasnt designed with 3 figure speeds in mind, but i could be wrong Smile

I reckon it was. It's all someones idea of a big joke.

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:44 - 12 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Souds like my kinda road! Twisted Evil

Dave_ZedDragen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

on any camping trip i'd recommend gaffer tape and a small knife...bothe will prove themselves useful for many purposes. A friend of mine used to always take an axe with him Laughing , but it always proved useful.

I'd recommend a wind-up led torch and a water bottle.

Ive fitted a 12v power socket to the battery of my bike and its useful for charging mobile phones, mp3 players, recharging batteries etc.

Asda seem to have some decent deals on camping gear too at the moment, they have a single air bed that includes a built in pillow and self inflates. It seems to roll up pretty small and costs about 11. Ive bee considering one myself, but the problem with airbeds is if they burst or puncture Confused

Living up here in Scotland i'd certainly recommend it, especially up north and the west coast and the hebridies. Beautiful scenery, beautiful roads....you get torn sometimes about wether to concentrate on looking at the scenery or concentrating on riding the road.

TonyYZF is certainly worth stopping off to see, and he lives in a beautiful setting for camping.

I'll hopefully be getting out to explore some more of scotland myself soon, probably Argyll and Bute this time Very Happy Thumbs Up

https://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt306/zeddragen/zeddragensig-1.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1