Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Software piracy; is it theft, does it harm the industry etc?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:30 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrbanRacer wrote:
not all PC games, so whats the soloution?

For developers to release demos with more content that last longer, giving the user a better impression.

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do i do in the mean time? be fooled with the box covers and their Photoshopped screenshots, Magazine Mis-quotes e.g
"The best game of the year"
when the magazine really said
"This game had the potential to be the best game of the year but fell by the way after the intro sequence."
etc etc........

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PC industry is slightly different though.

Games are cheaper.

If it's a console game you don't intend to play much, then you can legally rent them in this country.

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 16:49 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
craigie b wrote:
Games like PGR3 and Halo 2 will have suffered very lightly from piracy.

Any evidence to prove that?

Quote:
In its first 24 hours of retail availability, the flagship title for Microsoft's Xbox gaming system sold approximately 340,000 copies more than "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" did in its first six days on shelves.

Microsoft announced late Wednesday that retailers sold 2.4 million copies of "Halo 2" on Tuesday, racking up sales of $125 million -- 25 percent higher than what Peter Moore, vice president of Microsoft's games division, predicted at a Harris Nesbitt investment conference Tuesday.

https://money.cnn.com/2004/11/11/technology/halosales/

I can't find anything regarding PGR3 sales figures, but PGR has such a loyal fan base that it must have been a commercial success.

Holywood often touts the idea that piracy is the reason 70% of movies they release don;t break even, but the truth of the matter is IMO that that 70% of movies are absolute rubbish anyway and go straight to video.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 16:51 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I've never heard any game dev company say 'we've went under becasue of piracy'. More often than not its because the game they made didn;t strike the right tone with the market place. Normally this is becasue the game is shit, but on occassions great games fail (like thief 3) and the compnay folds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:54 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought.

What are your opinions on people that go into Game stores/Supermarkets to open the boxes of serialed games up to acquire a key?

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just being a pain. That game will probably end up having to back to the manufacturer as nobody's going to want to buy a box that's already been tampered with. If someone does buy one by accident and finds it doesn't work as the other bloke's already used the key then there's yet more annoyance.

Point is you then have a victim, although it's hardly the end of the world.

Like Craig says - if there were more good games & movies being released then profits would increase dramatically. No industry should expect sympathy for producing a crappy product. Piracy's a convenient excuse.

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shop shouldn't have been stupid enough to put the real games on the shelves, they should use the demostration boxes supplied with the real ones

TheBoyChris
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:05 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Quote:
Fair enough - I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. One thing I will say is that, admittedly, there's probably not enough information about the harm piracy actually does to the industry.

And sadly the information spun by software companies is so ridiculous it does harm to those spouting it, if considered by anyone of slightly reasonable intelligence.

Got to be honest here - I find that insulting. I was trying to mediate by saying that neither side has catagorical evidence on the effects and therefore it's a moot point, and you basically called me an idiot - albeit politely.

I'm going to stop dealing in metaphors, they seem to be going no-where.

Am I cleaner than clean? No, I've broke the law a few times in my life.

Did I try and justify it? No, I put my hand up and realised I was doing something wrong, and made my decision accordingly.

People will take what they can for free, and yeah thats fair enough. Human nature for sure. But people who tell me I'm wrong for being pissed about downloading my work, and then calling me an idiot? I'm going to repeat my earlier sentiments - Fuck you

I'm not going to come back to this thread - you actually make me feel ill. The fact you can sit behind your snide prose and clever wording to try and make me feel like the bad guy, when you're blatently taking my work for free?

Fuck you, all of you. I can't believe you don't see this as being wrong. I'm actually hurt - really fucking hurt.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by TheBoyChris on 17:06 - 27 Jun 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom wrote:
That's just being a pain. That game will probably end up having to back to the manufacturer as nobody's going to want to buy a box that's already been tampered with. If someone does buy one by accident and finds it doesn't work as the other bloke's already used the key then there's yet more annoyance.

Point is you then have a victim, although it's hardly the end of the world.

Hmm,

I need a new exhaust for my bike, might get into a dealers and rob one from one of the showroom bikes.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:06 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Chris to be honest, I'm going to leave this thread too as I can't be arsed going over the same point over and over again with people who fail to see what they're doing is wrong.

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBoyChris wrote:
Fuck you, all of you. I can't believe you don't see this as being wrong. I'm actually hurt - really fucking hurt.

Thanks a lot.

go have a sausage mate, you'll feel better for it Thumbs Up

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iti is very unlikely that someone is going to go 'you're right, I've been stealing these goods which makes me a bad person' as it will go against their deep seeded self beliefs. People will always develop beliefs to justify their behaviour. This goes for every single person and every single behaviour behaviour, from download games and stealing cars to killing people.

So far there are three kinds of people on this thread:

Person 1: Average Joe who buys some media and downloads others (illegally). By the sounds of it this is most of BCF. Feel they are justified in doing this.

Person 2: Those who have a vested interest in the media (i.e employed by them). Toby is rightly fighting this corner as he believes in what he is saying.

Person 3: So far, just me. I don't really like consoles, prefer my music to have a crackle and a bounce and still like going to the cinema (despite the rip off prices). Smile

JonT
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:22 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes me laugh when people say I downloaded it because I couldn't afford it and thus wouldn't have bought it anyway. If you can't afford the game you shouldn't have the game!

It is wrong because you are stealing somebodies time, you are stealing a developers time. When you buy the game you are mostly paying for the time and cost it took to make it.

Imagine if you went to a garage to get your bike repaired, and then simply took your bike without paying the mechanic!

Now imagine if the work and cost was distributed like games are. Imagine if you and a bunch of your friends share a track bike, you all take the track bike to have some work done on it. You decide that because you don't have the money to pay your share of the cost you wouldn't have the work done, but seeing as the work is going to be done anyway you'll just use the bike without paying your share.

As a result everyone elses share of the cost goes up to compensate for you not paying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not presenting it as some kind of righteous crusade. Razz All I ever disputed was the revenue issue, not the morality one. I'm sure it is 'wrong' but it definitely doesn't stop me from sleeping at night.

However I do maintain that I'm happy to pay if a game is good enough. So if the developers/movie producers fancy making some more cash out of me then there's an easy way of going about it. Smile

Quote:
As a result everyone elses share of the cost goes up to compensate for you not paying.

And there's just as good an argument for lower prices, as that would undoubtedly increase sales by a significant amount. Whether it would result in more profit overall you couldn't say for sure without trying, but I'd be willing to bet nobody will be thinking about that any time soon.

All it really comes down to is a simple question: Are enough people willing to pay £X for this product for it to make a profit? If a growing number of people are not and consumers are voting with their feet so to speak, then perhaps it's time companies gave up on an outdated revenue model and obscenely high prices. The music industry seems to be toying with the idea, let's hope that others follow.

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:

Hmm,

I need a new exhaust for my bike, might get into a dealers and rob one from one of the showroom bikes.

Toby, do you not read the above arguments, i have read this whole thread for the first time and about 3 instances people have stated the fact that copying a game/music/dvd is not comparable with stealing a quantifiable unit (Game, CD, Exhaust whatever).

The problem is the whole business model of games/music/films everything is based in a world before digital media, whereby control and monopoly over the market were easy because they were the gatekeepers, behind the gates were stacks of VHS boxes and Cassetes.... Physical items that cost an amount to proudce per unit. If i were to jump that fence and steal one of those units that would be theft pure and simple...

But Copying digital media (Games/Films/Whatever) DOES NOT leave the developer out of pocket...

The first argument being that "i was going to buy it, but i can download it for free".

Now i dont know about the rest of you but i download albums from time to time, but increasingly i cant be bothered to search for and wait for a particular track so i will just go on itunes and pay the .79p. It is a reasonable price for something that will keep me occupied for 5 mins or so...

A new game costing £50 (which is alot for someone like me, New front tyre, Weeks food, new brake pads for front and back, petrol etc- all i might add physical items) which is gonna keep me occupied for what 10 hours.... I havent done the maths but you are not getting value for money there. As others have said games i know i will play and play i buy, Battlefield 2, GTA series etc...

I will not spend my hardearned money paying for overinflated salaries of developing executives. For a product i can get for free without ANYONE loosing out on anything other than "projected sales" or "a possible sale"

Small developer apps like MIRC (which you dont pay for) if i used on any regular basis i would pay.

The other argument being "i was never going to buy it, so i downloaded it".

Toby you seem to be unable to comprehend the possibility that everyone doesent have £40-50 quid to spend on something that MIGHT POSSIBLY keep them entertained for a day or two at best....

Besides this whole point. Morality only exists in your mind. Therefore each of us will differ as to "right and wrong" which wont be reconciled bar a shakeup to ones core beliefs, which happens very rarely.

PS - Sorry for targeting only you Toby, if i did. Just from reading the thread you seem to be the shining example of someone that uses slippery slope logic and holds the other viewpoint of myself... nothing personal...

Psychofly
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:40 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copying games IS wrong whatever way you look at it but there is a huge difference between someone that tries a copied game once hates it and bins it and someone that downloads game after game spends hours playing them then downloads some more.
I admit I do play some copied games but like I said if it's a game I'm going to actually properly as opposed to just trying then I will buy it.
In the past year I've probably played a total of about 5 different games. Battlefield 2 (played demo loved it bought it) Half Life 2 (for CS:S online play) GTA San Andreas (played a copy loved it bought it) and Fahrenheit (played a copy, didn't like it, uninstalled and binned) and Doom 3 (played a copy, loved it, played a bit more, decided I hated it, uninstalled and binned).
Now I'm not saying I'm in the right but there is no way I would have bought any of those games except HL2 (because I loved CS 1.6 so was desparate to get CS:S) for £30-35 to see if I liked it and demos don't give a good indication of a game most times. If I hadn't played a copy I would never have bought a full genuine copy.
I know I'm wrong but I think I'm a hell of a lot more right than someone who has 100 copied games and refuses to part with any cash ever.

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyt wrote:

Imagine if you went to a garage to get your bike repaired, and then simply took your bike without paying the mechanic!

The mechanic has spent individual time working on your bike, time he could have been working on a paying customers bike, Downloading a game takes no time or anything away from a developer bar "a possible sale"
Quote:

Now imagine if the work and cost was distributed like games are. Imagine if you and a bunch of your friends share a track bike, you all take the track bike to have some work done on it. You decide that because you don't have the money to pay your share of the cost you wouldn't have the work done, but seeing as the work is going to be done anyway you'll just use the bike without paying your share.

Again this is the most commonly used argument AGAINST piracy, the slippery slope, if one does it all will soon follow and the world will soon develope into anarchy and eventually implode in on itself.

DIGITAL MEDIA IS UNIQUE IN THAT IT CAN BE REPLICATED WITHOUT EXPENDING THE TIME OF THE PRODUCER OR ANY EXTRA RESOURCES. Thus it is subject to different rules and "moral codes".

JonT
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:48 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that if you wouldn't of bought the game anyway then nobody loses out on money.

However doesn't the developer deserve to be paid for his work? To enjoy the fruits of someone elses labour without paying sounds wrong.

If someone paints an amazing peice of art and charges people to look at it then each individual is paying an ammount to enjoy the work done by that artist. Now if someone sneaks in to see it without paying the artist isn't losing any money, as that person wouldn't of gone if they had to pay.

The thing is though, should they get to enjoy the art if even for a few moments, even if they don't enjoy it that much at all, without giving anything back?

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyt wrote:

The thing is though, should they get to enjoy the art if even for a few moments, even if they don't enjoy it that much at all, without giving anything back?

The answer most "true" (and i use the word cautiously as it is highly subjective) artists would give you would be yes.

I understand the concerns of developers, and yes it does "sound" wrong to enjoy the fruits as you put it. But developers have to undertand (and you think they would due to the medium they work in) the nature of Digital media is such that many people (myself included) see no problem making a copy that takes no time/resources from the originator if extortionate prices are going to be charged... Like i said earlier the majority of my music is brought by itunes now, yes we pay more than the US but it is at a price that is not prohibitive even to someone quite poor like myself.

Devlopers have to meet people half way if they want to start raking it in like they were in the old days (even though i believe they still are, they just make more noise about piracy because it affects them, i have no figures to back this up however). They need to be realistic about what people who have an option of free downloads are going to pay. Because this whole argument is a mute point concerning those who dont know how/ or have the capability to download.

I think many in the "pro devloper camp" if you will fail to recognise the difference between digital media and any other resource in the world. it is a unique thing in that it can be replicaed endlessly without taking from others (time or resources).

EDIT: The way i see it is they are in a tricky position, if they lower the prices to make them attractive to downloaders they will loose out on profits that could be had from poor unsuspecting average joe who pays full sticker price, whereas if they offer a cheaper alternative to downloaders they are disadvantaging their best and most loyal customers... I dont think the issue is related to morality at all, i think it is related to big companies not wanting (understandably so) to let go of huge profits and monopoly over their product, even though the times have changed.

Last edited by TheDonUK on 18:02 - 27 Jun 2006; edited 1 time in total

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

Make everything pay to play?

G
The Voice of Reason

Chris:
I'm presuming your comments are aimed at me, so am replying as appropriate.
Though, of course, it's a waste of time as you're not coming back, I appreciate.

My comments were in regards to the usual figures which I hear from software companies which take an estimate of how many people have pirated their product, multiply that by the retail price, then present that as the figure of money they have 'lost' from pirating.
If you believe that to be the case, then I stand by your interpretation that I called you an idiot. If you do not believe that, then this is not the case.

To some degree I was actually agreeing with you - that the evidence that there is isn't at all reliable; it's just that when I've seen software companies making a big deal out of it, they've gone way over the top with their lack of evidence.

Have I told you that you are wrong for being pissed off? No. Infact, I'd quite agree with your stance of being pissed off when people openly admit to copying your work - to me that's just plain rude, if nothing else.

I'm not aware I've ever taken any of your work for free, so not sure how you have worked this out. Of course I may have, but it seems fairly unlikely as I can think of one game I have installed an illegal version of in the last five years or so - and that was GTA: SA, for the record I had previously bought GTA3 and not really played it that much, so didn't want to pay for SA.

I'm not sure I've even said that this isn't wrong, I've just said I believe it to be less wrong than physical theft - a statement I stand by.

I'm not trying to suggest you were blanketly 'wrong', however nor do I believe you were entirely correct. Also, as you mentioned your own dealings with such things, I suspect we are merely talking about shades of grey - just that some people do it more than you do.

Toby:
If you can aquire an exhaust from the local dealers by theft, but not actually leave them with anything less, then I can't see the dealer being able to prosecute you or do much at all, or probably be bothered in anyway....

"So, you say the defendant took this item from your shop, how did he do it with out you noticing?"
"Well, nothing is actually missing."
"So, what loss have you incurred?"
"Well, err, nothing actually, but, you never know, the defendant might have bought the item"

And, more to the point, from what we've seen you're just as bad as the rest of us - or worse, maybe, as you take it from non-salaried developers.
To me 'stealing' intellectual property from a small community development is much worse than stealing it from large corporations with many stock holders, large advertising budgets etc.

Last edited by G on 18:56 - 27 Jun 2006; edited 3 times in total

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
Make everything pay to play?

I wouldent want to live in that world, I like a world where in someinstances you feel you are getting more than you paid for (if you are or not, its regardless)...

Like when i goto a all you can eat buffet i feel a duty to eat as much as i physically can. Even though the buffet has most likely factored in people like me to the business model, i FEEL like i have "won" if you will... And this is one of the many small joys of being a human being (to me).

This is balanced out in the grand scheme of things by my bike constantly breaking down and me forking out... Me FEELING i am hard done by and why does it always happen to me...

Cant have the highs without the lows...

Mind you from the developers POV that seems one of the only options, However i myself would resent that and most likely buy even less of their product than i do now in form of rebellion (mind you that would disappear with a generation being used to pay to play)

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:14 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the whole games thing - when I play games, it's mostly on-line games - that's what I feel really distinquishes a game in long term playability. And as far as I'm aware, most companies have pretty much sorted the pirating of online games - as you have to have a legit keycode.
I'm happy to pay a wodge of money if I know that it's a game I may still be playing a year from now.

jonnyt wrote:

Imagine if the garage was actually repairing someone else's bike, you didn't want to pay them, but gained the information on how to repair yours while the mechanic repaired the other one - then you didn't pay the mechanic.

Has the mechanic actually lost out?

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 18:40 - 27 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDonUK wrote:

(mind you that would disappear with a generation being used to pay to play)

Yup. Just like people resist paying for anything on the internet because it all used to be free, but don't seem unduly bothered about paying for things via mobile phone, cos that's always cost.

If you were charged per minute, perhaps a fraction of a pence but still for the amount of time played, would that deal with the 'must get my money's worth' thing?

(I know what you mean, it's why subscription DVD rental doesn't work for me, I get determined to watch as many as possible to justify my £7 or whatever. Pay per view movies would suit me better, if the price was competitive.)

Music... if iTunes charged a more realistic price per track, I'd be more inclined to pay. But we're still getting reamed in comparison to the US and Europe, cos they want to stick to the nice round '99' figure. So I download some stuff, buy other stuff, and still get a fair amount for free via work connections.

Movies... if I could pay to view when a film came out, I'd do that rather than download some crappy quality pirate version. But I don't always want to go to the cinema, I just want to see the movie. Hell, even if the DVD came out a week later and was £20, I'd rather pay that than pay cinema prices if it's something I anticipate wanting to watch more than once.

Games... I don't really play them to be honest. I used to stick pretty much to coverdisks cos games were expensive, I had a mate who could copy them but it was physical in those days, supplying disks, posting stuff to people. If I was a gamer these days, I'd probably still just play demos, was rarely taken with a game enough to fork out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 309 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5