Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A Tale of Kawasaki Reliability?..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 04:42 - 28 Jun 2006    Post subject: A Tale of Kawasaki Reliability….. Reply with quote

Or more specifically, GPZ500S.

After a late night msn conversation with Mike on Saturday we decided on a last minute camping trip to the West Welsh coast for Sunday. Mikes new GPZ bought with the intention of comfortable touring on the cheap, needed a road test. So far it’d done a fair bit of mileage commuting to work but never been on a decent rideout.

Initially planning to meet outside Mcdonalds at 1pm, later revised to 2pm due to general laziness and my luggage rack taking an age to bolt on. Damn thing was very fiddly to fit as you need to line up two holes, a spacer between the holes, and hold the rack lined up, before poking the bolt through. Four times. Would’ve probably still been doing it hadn’t my mum given me a hand by holding the rack and subjected herself to minor cursing as the spacers fell out for the umpteenth time.

Me, (under breath) – “&@$£&@ washer $%^&$£$*@”

Mum, (innocently) – “Sorry, what was that?”

Me – “Nuuuuthing….. I was talking to myself”

Mum – “Oh”

I eventually got it fitted, and stuck the correctly sized spanner and socket into my panniers in case they worked themselves loose mid-ride and lost my tent to the road. Very nearly stuck my whole mini socket set in, but didn’t in the end for space saving reasons, later this would become a mistake.

Sailing South down the a483 the sun was shining down, cars were maintaining some lane discipline and there was some humidity in the air, it was going to be a hot day.

Arrived at Mcdonalds to find Mike queuing up for a Maccies healthy ‘Veggie Special’, seemingly only special in the inflated price and special lack of meat for your money.

Soon we set off at a relaxed non-thrash pace partly as I had a brand new un-scrubbed front tyre, Mike wasn’t wearing full gear, and general apathy in the hazy afternoon sun. Around 8 miles further down the road in Llangollen I became aware Mike was revving the rough sounding GPZ randomly, looking about as happy as Siggi been made to watch the Queen’s speech. As we queued at the junction on the bridge in the town centre he pulled up beside and told me something was wrong. We then noticed a not small amount of fluid was pissing out of the bottom of the bike all over the road, engine was sounding rough as hell too, even for a GPZ, and there was no oil visible in the sight glass. It all looked a bit terminal.

Mike immediately killed the engine and began pushing the bike off the bridge and around the corner for us to have a look at. We were relieved to find it was petrol that was leaking rather than oil, and out of the overflow pipe. Being the prepared lad he is, Mike had no UK breakdown cover and not one tool with him. While I started to undo my panniers to get at my motley collection of spanners, penknife, bicycle multi-tool and two 13mm spanners from underneath my seat, a local bystander came up and suggested there was something stuck in one of the carb’s float valve, and right he was. The roadside bodge suggestion is to give it a tap in order to knock the dirt out of place. The right carb was given a few taps without any success before a couple old boys pulled up on a Harley 883 and some ancient Triumph 500 twin complete with pork-slicer. After a thorough inspection they agreed with bystander no.1’s diagnosis and suggested more tapping. We also did the left carb this time, which seemed to help a little! The petrol stopped leaking. For the other symptoms, the engine rattling sound had been due to a loose exhaust clamp and the oil level due to general burnage.

https://www.motocapers.com/gpzreliability/PIC000084m.jpg

A roadside carburettor strip-down had looked on the cards, the Trumphet guy was definitely not in favour though, recommending a careful ride home (perhaps with a bit of sense), and a visit to the local bike shop.

“Taking the carbs off is not a roadside job mate, not with the tools you got there!” (Points at the 13mm spanners and bicycle multi-tool I got free off the cover of a bicycle magazine 10 years ago)

Whilst putting the bike back together and thanking them for their help, Trumphet guy asked if the foot-pump Mike had bungeed to the back seat was for his air bed. We didn’t have the heart to tell him it was for the dodgy rear tyre that had a habit of deflating randomly Laughing.

Then we were off shooting up the Horseshoe pass, making fairly good progress for at least 3 miles…. until GPZ indicators and headlights began flashing in my mirrors. The geeper had dropped onto one cylinder again going up the hill with the petrol leak back in full flow. Mike had always been proud of the bikes’ MPG (maybe a lack of other redeeming factors Razz) so it amused me.

https://www.motocapers.com/gpzreliability/PIC000086m.jpg

After spending around 10 minutes sitting down, eating crisps and generally not being arsed to do anything about it Mike decided to give the fourth emergency service a ring. Unfortunately Keith’s mobile was turned off, doh. We did have the idea of blocking up the petrol overflow pipe, but there was a nagging thought “it’s probably there for a reason”. The prospect of a torched GPZ at the roadside may have made a good bcf ‘pwned’ picture, however with the absence of fire insurance and with a foreign trip on the horizon it was decided against. Carb removal was the only way forward.

As there was no 10mm spanner to undo the bolts attaching the airbox the carbs had to be removed with it in situ. Fortunately because of the twin engine layout this isn’t too hard on the geeper, (or ‘gepper’ as I have come to call it affectionately). After blowing out the blockage the carbs were squeezed back on with a little difficulty, one quite not sealing properly but good enough as a road side bodge.

https://www.motocapers.com/gpzreliability/PIC000087m.jpg

Finally we were off on our way and with no more hold-ups apart from a brief petrol stop in Bala, we were soon at the campsite outside Twyn unloading the bikes, erecting the tents and getting down the pub for a pie and a pint.

After procuring some firewood from outside the back of the pub (No I don’t think it’s free Mike Rolling Eyes), and collecting sticks from a back lane we got back to the site, got a fire going and relaxed.

Next morning not having slept much due to some surprisingly rough weather, Mike left earlier than me on his own, intent on taking a short-cut back so he could meet his Dad for some fishing. Unfortunately gepper luck stroke again and his rear tyre lost all pressure a few miles down the short cut. Unable to hold pressure because the inner valve had given up, he rode it gingerly at almost 0 psi to the nearest garage where a mechanic fitted a new inner valve for him at no charge Thumbs Up, leaving him able to complete the journey.

Three breakdowns in 150 miles, and this thing’s got to do 4000 next month Shocked Laughing

Steve H
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 28 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Write ups like the above is why BCF is still a good place to frequent.

Top Stuff Mo Wink Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 10:53 - 28 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bit of crap in the carbs affects every bike, as do flat tyres.. not just kawasakis.. dont' see how that is a "reliability" issue Rolling Eyes

good story tho, and good pics Very Happy

a

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 12:56 - 28 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

feef wrote:
bit of crap in the carbs affects every bike, as do flat tyres.. not just kawasakis.. dont' see how that is a "reliability" issue Rolling Eyes

Yeah yeah I know Razz The tyre is forgiveable, but the carb crap appeared to be general tank rust build-up. My 5 year older Honda doesn't have this, even though it spent 9 months on some salt ridden container ship Wink

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 12:59 - 28 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
Thanks

feef wrote:

Yeah yeah I know Razz The tyre is forgiveable, but the carb crap appeared to be general tank rust build-up. My 5 year old Honda doesn't have this, even though it spent 9 months on some salt ridden container ship Wink

you'll find the rust residue buildup in tanks can often come from poorly maintained petrol stations, and the rust fragments are actually from the underground tanks, not the inside of the bike's petrol tank.

This is especially common in smaller, more remote petrol stations if you buy hi-octane stuff, as it's used less often, the tanks are only 20% full, and they have more time to rust a bit.

a

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 13:04 - 28 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess so, maybe it was a coincidence I also had to strip my first Kawasaki 's carbs to clean rust away at the same fine old age of 10 years Wink

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 13:07 - 28 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
I guess so, maybe it was a coincidence I also had to strip my first Kawasaki 's carbs to clean rust away at the same fine old age of 10 years Wink

I've had kawasakis (76k miles on the clock), hondas(68kmiles) and yamahas(50k and 48k) and never had to strip ANY carbs for that reason..

wonder if you've been using the same petrol station(s) all this time? Wink

a

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 13:13 - 28 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, that was a crap station I had mine from though, since closed down. Was laying some bait Wink

As I said on the first line of the post, it was specifically Mike's GPZ 'heap status' I was having a dig at Smile

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 13:17 - 28 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
Nah, that was a crap station I had mine from though, since closed down. Was laying some bait Wink

As I said on the first line of the post, it was specifically Mike's GPZ 'heap status' I was having a dig at Smile

fair enough,....

I just rise to the bait on BCF, since there seems to be a general "kawasakis are unreliable" feeling to the place, which I think is misplaced Smile

a

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 13:37 - 28 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasakis are just rubbish, ask craig about his GPz.
still, we all need a bike to laugh at.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:40 - 28 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

wave2k wrote:
Kawasakis are just rubbish, ask craig about his GPz.
still, we all need a bike to laugh at.

Or someone with a poncy holier than thou attitude.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 13:56 - 28 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

wave2k wrote:
Kawasakis are just rubbish...
IMO wrong to generalise. I've even heard that Honda have recalls to fix problems Shocked

wave2k wrote:
...still, we all need a bike to laugh at.
Don't agree. Any bike is worth looking at, it's just a matter of personal taste as to whether you'd ride it or not. However, feel free to laught at Peugeot mopeds Wink
https://w1.bikepics.com/pics/2005%5C02%5C23%5Cbikepics-297202-200.jpg

maurice wrote:
...new GPZ bought with the intention of comfortable touring on the cheap...
Have you tried touring on the Ducati?

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 14:30 - 28 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i touring first week of august on it Cool .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 14:48 - 28 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality, another point goes to honda!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 14:53 - 28 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom_ wrote:
Quality, another point goes to honda!

for what? a petrol station that can't maintain it's tanks and a leaky tyre valve? oh I forgot.. Honda have their own titanium tanked petrol stations :p

a

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 15:14 - 28 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAS,,HONDA FOR THE WIN111!!!

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 17:29 - 28 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome write up Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 17:36 - 28 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're doing well. The other bike in the trio making the 4000 mile journey next month recently snapped its frame and 2 engine mounts...

Gaz

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 28 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love reading your write ups mauriace Thumbs Up My kwak had rust in the carbs too when I got it, cut out once halfway through an overtake because it blocked the carbs Shocked cant wait til you get back from the 4000 mile'er Mr. Green
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 277 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1