Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Accident Stats 2005 - Good news for us!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sadie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 29 Jun 2006    Post subject: Accident Stats 2005 - Good news for us! Reply with quote

Department for Transport (National)

Road casualties great britain 2005: main results

The Department of Transport has today published National Statistics on road casualties in Great Britain in 2005, which relate to casualties in accidents reported to the police.

The Department of Transport has today published National Statistics on road casualties in Great Britain in 2005, which relate to casualties in accidents reported to the police.

Key results include:

Arrow The number of people killed in road accidents fell, by 1 per cent from 3,221 in 2004 to 3,201 in 2005. 32,155 people were killed or seriously injured in 2005, 6 per cent fewer than in 2004. There were 271,017 road casualties in Great Britain in 2005, 3 per cent less than in 2004.
Arrow Provisional figures indicate that road traffic levels remained at about the same level as in 2004 and consequently the provisional estimate is that the overall casualty rate per 100 million vehicle kilometres was 3 per cent lower than in 2004.
Arrow Child casualties fell by 9 per cent. The number of children killed or seriously injured in 2005 was 3,472 (down 11 per cent on 2004). Of those, 2,134 were pedestrians, 9 per cent down on 2004. 141 children died on the roads, 15 per cent fewer than in 2004.
Arrow Pedestrian casualties were 33,281 in 2005, 5 per cent lower than 2004. There were 671 pedestrian deaths, the same as in 2004. Serious injuries fell by 5 per cent to 6,458.
Arrow The number of pedal cyclists killed rose by 10 per cent to 148 in 2005, the highest level since 1999. The number of seriously injured rose by 2 per cent to 2,212. Total casualties among pedal cyclists fell by 1 per cent in 2005 to 16,561.
Arrow There were 24,824 two-wheeled motor vehicle user casualties in 2005, 3 per cent less than in 2004. The number of seriously injured decreased by 2 per cent to 5,939 and the number killed decreased by 3 per cent to 569.
Arrow The number of deaths among car users in 2005 was 1,675, 4 more than in the previous year. The number seriously injured fell by 11 per cent to 12,942. Total casualties among car users were 178,302, 3 per cent lower than 2004. Provisional traffic estimates indicate no rise in car and taxi
traffic over the period.
Arrow There were 198,735 road accidents involving personal injury in 2005, 4 per cent fewer than in 2004. Of these, 27,942 accidents involved death or serious injury.

In 2000, the Government announced a new road safety strategy and set new targets for reducing casualties by 2010. It wants to see:

Arrow 40% reduction in the number of people killed or seriously injured in
road accidents compared with the average for 1994-98;
Arrow 50% reduction in the number of children killed or seriously injured;
Arrow 10% reduction in the slight casualty rate, expressed as the number of people slightly injured per 100 million vehicle kilometres.

In 2005, the number of people killed or seriously injured was 33 per cent below the 1994-98 average; the number of children killed or seriously injured was 49 per cent below the 1994-98 average; and provisional estimates show the slight casualty rate was 22 per cent below the 1994-98 average.

NOTES FOR EDITORS

1. These figures, and further details, are available in statistics bulletin Road Casualties Great Britain: 2005 - Main Results, obtainable from The Department for Transport, TSR5, Zone 2/18, Great Minster House, 76 Marsham Street, London SW1P 4DR. The figures are also available on the Department for Transport's website at:

https://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_transstats/documents/page/dft_transstats_611922.hcsp

2. A more comprehensive **** of casualty statistics will be published later this year in Road Casualties Great Britain: 2005.

3. The statistics relate to personal injury accidents on public roads that are reported to the police. In 2005, following a National Statistics Quality Review, a number of changes in the data collection were made and some new questions added to the survey; these include enhanced contributory factors to road accidents, journey purpose, foreign licensed vehicle and improved motorcycle engine banding information. The report of the quality review is available on the National Statistics web site.

4. Research conducted in the 1990s has shown that not all accidents are reported. A note on this research has been included in the bulletin. The Department published two papers on the level of under-reporting on 23 June, which can be found at the addresses below.

https://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_rdsafety/documents/page/dft_rdsafety_611755.pdf https://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_rdsafety/documents/page/dft_rdsafety_611756.pdf

5. Figures for deaths refer to persons killed immediately or who died within 30 days of the accident. This is the usual international definition, adopted by the Vienna Convention in 1968. Similar statistics of deaths on public roads, but compiled by date of registration, are published by the Registrars General.

Public Enquiries Unit: 020 7944 3000;
Press Notices available via DfT website: https://www.dft.gov.uk

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:30 - 29 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG Shocked

At least the government has been doing something right on the roads if these figures are correct.
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 29 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will use those statistics to tell us that speed cameras are safe.

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:36 - 29 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They would say that even if the accident rate increased by 1000%
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:39 - 29 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know MCN can hardly be considered serious journalism but this article appears to contradict the stats given above.
MCN wrote:
Police road stats lie
Research carried out by Oxford University and published in the British Medical Journal suggests that despite claims by police, just as many people are being admitted to hospital with serious traffic injuries as in 1996....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wooly R6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 29 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

and where did those statistics come from, the government??? they probably need a cover for the wank speed camera fuck ups!!!!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:15 - 30 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Skimming through the bit on reporting accidents, it does seem likely that reporting is going down for injuries (I doubt changes in hospital proceedures will make any dead people decide not to go to hospital).

To be honest an overall change of 20 or so (0.6%) is so small to be statistically irrelevant. With some categories going up and some going down it doesn't really look like any change.

All the best

Keith

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 02 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The number of deaths among car users in 2005 was ... more than in the previous year.

Hardly a ringing endorsement for all those "safety partnerships" and blanket speed limit reductions is it?

chalky143
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:54 - 02 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
They will use those statistics to tell us that speed cameras are safe.

yep they will Rolling Eyes
Previous bikes::cbr600 steelie race bike, 1989 Honda vfr750f, 2013 Honda fireblade, 2013 Ducati multistrata 1200s, 2012 Triumph street triple R, 1999 yamaha r6, vfr 800, ducati 600ss, vfr 400x2, ntv 650, bandit 600, cagiva mito 125, aprilia rs 50, honda c90x2, honda hornet 600x2, cbr 600, aprilia rx50, suzuki katana
My bike pics: https://www.bikepics.com/members/chalky143/

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:01 - 06 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the number had risen then theyed say we need more speed cameras, either way were screwd Thumbs Down
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Slickfish
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:23 - 06 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone knows about speed cameras just have to laugh, who do they think they are fooling with the safety camera tag!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 10:25 - 06 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

more speed cameras then Rolling Eyes

EVen though its just a variable fluctuation, 1 or 2 % increase or decrease is probably just fluke not an actualy trend.

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 298 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1