Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Environmental initiatives - That you think are good

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:16 - 29 Jun 2006    Post subject: Environmental initiatives - That you think are good Reply with quote

Normally on BCF, all I hear is the decrying of environmental schemes as a waste of time and/or effort.

What I want to know is what schemes (you have heard of) that can help the environment, but not cause excessive effort for those taking part.

It was THIS article that made me think this. As I can't see any downside to the idea at all (unless you work in an incandescent lightbulb factory) and would be a good idea for all.

Also would save you cash.
Any others out there.

Recycling an obvious one, where council pick up your bottels etc
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:19 - 29 Jun 2006    Post subject: Re: Environmental initiatives - That you think are good Reply with quote

innominate wrote:
...what schemes (you have heard of) that can help the environment, but not cause excessive effort...

Arrow Turning off the lights as you leave a room.
Arrow Not leaving the TV on if you're out in the garden
Arrow Only use a hairdryer when you really, really, really need to (ok for most women that's always, but hey! Rolling Eyes)

Just some thoughts Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob-B
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:03 - 29 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn the tap off when brushing your teeth.

Dont leave the T.V on stand by overnight.

When waiting for the water to become hot out of the tap when doing washing up, fill the bowl witht the cold/warmish water and throw it in the garden/at someone. Saves alot of water!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 30 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burning 4x4 owners instead of coal. Thumbs Up

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 30 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recycling is BS btw , many recycling companies pack it into a shipping container and send it off to China (its cheaper than UK landfill!) labelling it as something else

>not idling excessively

>carry lots of weight ie pillions

>keeping tyre pressures optimatal ,

I find this IMPORTANT , and necessary , this is going to be a bit of a rant but with the government's buying power they could buy 32 million foot pumps which to me and you general publico £5 for 25p each, and they could issue them to post offices and dish them out to folks when they renew their tax.

or they could just made manufacturers stick them in their cars and put a sticker somewhere saying check thee tyre pressures.

But then cars would become much more fuel efficient and thus the treasury would lose billions in excessive fuel use 10% is about 8bn from the motorist.

But if you want to prevent things like global warming , get your old AOL trial CDs , turn them round and glue them to your house roof or something else black, this reflects light and hence energy doomed to become heat back into space increasing the albedo effect. I have about 90 AOL trial CDs and if everybody did it and it was managed properly global warming wouldn't happen period.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 30 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainwater barrels by guttering. Great for storing water to keep the garden going.

Good thread. Particularly like Itchy's post. Who said conspiracy theories were a thing of the past?

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 30 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a hippo in your toilet.

https://www.cambridge-water.co.uk/community/Images/hippo.jpg

Your water company will send them to you for nowt.

WishayKillie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 30 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let the ice caps melt and give all the water to the SE of England!

Eat more beef! The cows are farting tons of meathane into the atmosphere.

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 30 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lister diesel engine running on used veg oil to power your house and heat your water.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:52 - 30 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

And further to that, if you have a diesel car, run it on biodiesel.

I want to get into making or at least using biodiesel soon. A guy in reading is selling it in 1000l tanks for £740 each - thats 74ppl.

If I was staying living at home for any length of time, or if i get a place with a garage, i'd be making biodiesel.

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 23:04 - 30 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cagiva gezzer wrote:
Put a hippo in your toilet.

https://www.cambridge-water.co.uk/community/Images/hippo.jpg

Your water company will send them to you for nowt.

...and never again will your poos flush away!

Would be good if all toilets had the whole/half flush system so you have the option to use less water, but can still unleash niagra when that uber-log needs flushing away.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 01 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major_Grooves wrote:
unleash niagra when that uber-log needs flushing away.

Thats what those public loos where you pay 20p are for!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 340 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1