Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Virginal rebuild project (a.k.a 'pain in the arse')

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 06 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy, I have a spare front sprocket cover + clutch mechanism (needs a damn good clean though) somewhere in my garage, if ya want to come to some arrangement.

And also make sure that the front sprocket nut is done up tight (and locked) as I took my cover off once, to replace C+S, and there was no nut holding the front sprocket on. Shocked Shocked

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 11:15 - 07 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
how on earth does a sprocket and chain come loose in the 1st place Shocked

The front sprocket's simply held up on a circlip and it's common place for DIY mechanics to forgot to put the circlip back on and off it pops when riding along one day!

Just because of that incident i wouldn't be too worried about the bikes history mate, just give it a proper good check over before you ride it next time.

Graham88
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:33 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Do you clean your nuts?

Laughing

Sorry Embarassed

Nice work Thumbs Up

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering... where is WTdaddy, aint seen him for a while Confused

DaveH
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be busy polishing something.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carlspann
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:40 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your that concerned about the snapped bit,just makes sure that you put everything on tight,you can always use some liquid metal(epoxy)or even just dremel it smooth so it looks a bit trick rather than a breakage.

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
how on earth does a sprocket and chain come loose in the 1st place Shocked

The front sprocket was so loose on my cagiva, that when i took the sprocket cover off, there were circular scores from the sprocket bolt Whistle

Jack
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 09 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ram_doom wrote:
Just wondering... where is WTdaddy, aint seen him for a while Confused

I've been in Spain getting first hand experience in what retirement will be like Shocked Crying or Very sad Man its boring staying with the OH's grand parents Rolling Eyes

I need just a couple of dry days to get going again as the frame is currently in the hall way Laughing

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 09 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know your still here man Laughing after this month I've been a bit paranoid Confused

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:33 - 09 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen that you've lost the ZX in a nasty sounded spill.

You Ok now?

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 10 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Just seen that you've lost the ZX in a nasty sounded spill.

You Ok now?

Yep, no more internal bleeding, which is a relief Smile just bruising and large scabs.
Just need a few more parts for the bike and its back in action too.

Need to go back to work now though Neutral Laughing

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:31 - 11 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad your OK Wink Thumbs Up

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dance!

Finally got a swing arm delivered with the wheel adjusters still in Razz But is just as drity as mine when it was taken off it not worse Rolling Eyes, the bike may start going back together again soon, but, not got a day off till next weekend Crying or Very sad It needs painting black in the mean time so not too bad

Need to buy yet another large can of WD40 as used 4 or 5 so far to help clean the engine Sick It is working though and coming up a treat, will be able to reach more when back in the frame,
with the damn headers in the way still its a little hard Mad

Not sure if the bike will make the MOT mid November as need a few other little things here and there so no test rides before Shifty

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praffin makes a good degreaser. Probably cheaper than endless cans of wd...

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:28 - 15 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The swing arm is now painted and the looking very nice indeed even if I say so myself Razz Cant attach it to the frame yet as I have all the odds and sods in my mums garage including the spindle and shock mounts Rolling Eyes

With a little help from the wife, the engine was repositioned and the frame reattached Thumbs Up With a couple of layers of new paint, the frame holes were a little snug so in the words of Arkwright I just needed to 'j-j-j-jiggle it a bit' and the bolts slipped in a treat. Only managed to scratch the paint a little when the frame bounced on the engine almost knocking it over to the wifes supprise.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/fzr600_074.jpg

Its nice to finally get the frame out of the bedroom and the engine off the patio.

Just need some garage floor cleaner now as it is stained beyond belief.

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 20:30 - 15 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cough* TFR *uncough*

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 13:15 - 16 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking pretty good WTD i'm counting how many times it's coming together and being taken apart though Wink

Fancy polishing up your headers? Chrome polish and wire wool and elbow grease will sort you out a treat.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:19 - 16 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thankyou wise master Wink

Managed to rub down through the dirt and rust only in patches as still attached to the bike and I have nt got the smallest hands in the world.

Wire wool does make a world of difference to the metal parts.

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 13:22 - 16 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Managed to rub down through the dirt and rust only in patches as still attached to the bike and I have nt got the smallest hands in the world.

Take the headers off mate...and if you haven't got the time, get the missus to do it! Razz

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

quacker_boy wrote:
Whosthedaddy wrote:

Take the headers off mate...and if you haven't got the time, get the missus to do it! Razz

Sod that promise our 3 year old son a couple of chocolate buttons and get him to do it Laughing Now that the weight of the engine off of the exhaust, they may come off, but I'm not holding out much hope. Knowing me, I'd probably smack them with a hammer and snap off one of the studs Rolling Eyes

Its quite scary how bad a bike can get in a matter of weeks. This is why I needed a new rear swing arm

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/fzr600_034.jpg

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/fzr600_077.jpg

This rust and hole developed in just a month of riding Shocked The surrounding metal was sound hence refitted for another day Shifty Thank feck that the rest of the frame was in a much better condition, hence the need to paint and try and protect the frame a little.

Its starting to look more like a bike now Dance!

The rear is now complete with wheel attached and sporting some new dog bone jack up rextensions, front struts, petrol tank, rear hangers, rear brake are all in place

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/fzr600_081.jpg

It has payed off by cleaning parts before refitting them again, but its hard to try and keep the clean as the bike is just covered with a bike cover and it wont stop raining oozing the slightest bit of grease and grime all over the place, so it may get a final covering in Muck Off and a damn good hose down before new panels are fitted.

I have a long weekend off, so fingers crossed it may be completed if the weather holds off. I would estimate that its only got a days work left before the rolling chasis is in a state to fire and turn over.

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good.

May I ask why only one engine casing is shinier(sp?) then the rest? (the starter clutch casing)

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummer wrote:
Looking good.

May I ask why only one engine casing is shinier(sp?) then the rest? (the starter clutch casing)

It was a replacment part (2nd hand) that I suspect may have had a little 'touch up' in the past.

So far I've managed to ding and scratch the paint when tightening bolts, but meh, its going to get covered in fairings so wont notice as much. Seen brand new sides and top fairings for £203 + P&P, not bad but not sure how it will fit to a 17 year old frame Rolling Eyes Laughing

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as they are for the 3HE model, you will be fine

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummer wrote:
as long as they are for the 3HE model, you will be fine

There were various models of the old girl:

1989 FZR600 (mine)
1990 FZR600
1991-1993 FZR 3HE
and so on...

A phone call may be in order prior to ordering Wink

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

(fussy bugger)

You got the '89 same as me, didn't they change to a single headlight after the 89?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 189 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10