Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BT Broadband..what gives?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:08 - 01 Jul 2006    Post subject: BT Broadband..what gives? Reply with quote

Long post but what the hell, I have pasted below email contact from BT.
always had a good stable connection until they "upgraded" it, not only do they respond with what looks like a stock answer but then send all my private details to some random email address.

have a read through from the bottom up and let me know if you think my final response may be "productive"

as yet I have had no response.......

Dom

Dominic ======= (===========@hotmail.com)
To: btbroadband@bt.com
Subject: FW: BT Broadband (KMM19366587I15378L0KM) [Incident: 060629-000141]

totally unbelievable !!!!!!

Not only is your response entirely inadequate bearing in mind I had indicated that I had already reported a fault,
but now you have breached the Data Protection Act by sending my confidential information to what seems like a random email address.

I demand a full explanation and report of what course of rectification you are going to take, or I will be forced to report this serious breach of the Data Protection Act Laws.
As you seem completely unaware of your obligations the data protection act was first introduced in 1984 with a major revision in 1998 and came in to full force in 2000
a brief outline

The Data Protection Act of 1998 contains eight Data Protection Principles:

Personal data shall be processed fairly and lawfully.
Personal data shall be obtained only for one or more specified and lawful purposes, and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes.
Personal data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose or purposes for which they are processed.
Personal data shall be accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date.
Personal data processed for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes.
Personal data shall be processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects under this Act.
Appropriate technical and organizational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data.
Personal data shall not be transferred to a country or territory outside the European Economic Area unless that country or territory ensures an adequate level of protection for the rights and freedoms of data subjects in relation to the processing of personal data.
By law, businesses have to adhere to these principles, and must notify the Information Commissioner if they collect personal data. Under the Act, the UK's Information Commissioner can serve an enforcement notice to any business that contravenes any of the Data Protection principles while processing personal information. When asked to do so by a member of the public, businesses must stop processing personal information about the individual.

I also provide a link to the PDF complaint form https://www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/cms/documentUploads/DPA%20Complaint%20Form%20.pdf

I await your response

Mr D ========

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: FW: BT Broadband (KMM19366587I15378L0KM) [Incident: 060629-000141]
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 10:26:59 +0100
To: ==========@hotmail.com

no idea why this came to me, but from the emails below, I figure it must be yours. They really are a crap company

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Support@btconnect.com [mailto:Support@btconnect.com]
Sent: 29 June 2006 10:08
To: ========, Annabel
Subject: Re: BT Broadband (KMM19366587I15378L0KM) [Incident: 060629-000141]

Please see below for the response to your query from the BT Business support team.

Subject
Re: BT Broadband (KMM19366587I15378L0KM)

Discussion Thread
Response (Mairaid Hamilton) 06/29/2006 10:08 AM
Dear Dominic,

Thank you for your enquiry.

I am very sorry to hear you are having problems with your connection,
I understand that it must be very frustrating for you.

It sounds like you are having intermittent connection problems this may be down to a fault on your line

To resolve this as quickly and effectively as possible you should contact our technical support desk on 0845 600 70 20 who will diagnose any fault and escalate your case if required.

If you can ensure that when you call you have only one computer connected , with no extra devices or extensions on the line.

If in the future you need further assistance please feel free to search the knowledge base or email our BT Business Support team again at www.btbusinessoffice.com/help.

Kind regards,
Mairaid Hamilton,
BT Business Support
Customer (Dominic) 06/29/2006 10:00 AM
Dear Mr ========,

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding your Broadband connection.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in replying to you and for any inconvenience this may have caused.

When I contacted you today you were unable to accept my call but I did leave a message on your answer machine.

Please note that the relevant department has received your email and as noted below will now deal with your enquiry and will come back to you before the close of the next business day.

I hope the information provided will assist you in having you matter resolved.

Thank you for contacting BT.

Yours sincerely,

Chris Cathcart
BT Customer Services
Ref; 6885306

In the future, you may find the information you need from BT's self-help service. Please click below to try the BT.com Search Engine, or use the site map:
https://www.bt.com/search

This electronic message contains information from BT, which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended for use only by the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify me by telephone or email (to the number or email address above) immediately.

Activity and use of the British Telecommunications plc e-mail system is monitored to secure its effective operation and for other lawful business purposes. Communications using this system will also be monitored and may be recorded to secure effective operation and for other lawful business purposes.

British Telecommunications plc
Registered office: 81 Newgate Street London EC1A 7AJ
Registered in England no: 1800000

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Response (Mairaid Hamilton) 06/29/2006 09:45 AM
Dear Dominic,

Thank you for your enquiry.

I am very sorry to hear you are having problems with your connection,
I understand that it must be very frustrating for you.

It sounds like you are having intermittent connection problems this may be down to a fault on your line

To resolve this as quickly and effectively as possible you should contact our technical support desk on 0845 600 70 20 who will diagnose any fault and escalate your case if required.

If you can ensure that when you call you have only one computer connected , with no extra devices or extensions on the line.

If in the future you need further assistance please feel free to search the knowledge base or email our BT Business Support team again at www.btbusinessoffice.com/help.

Kind regards,
Mairaid Hamilton,
BT Business Support
Customer (Dominic) 06/29/2006 08:58 AM
Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Feedback from Mr Dominic ====== (contact number 01223 ====== )
Telephone Number: =========
Account Number: ==========
Email Address: ============@hotmail.com
Customer Comments :
Mr Dominic ========
============ walk
=========
Suffolk
CB9 =====
014=========

Ref: BT Broadband service

Dear Sir/Madam

I am deeply frustrated by the sudden lack of broadband quality I have experienced since (Upgrading) my plan. I have been a loyal Bt Broadband customer since it first became available in my area and have suffered no loss of service in that time, until recently.
However since being convinced by one of your telesales reps to change to 8meg max line I have suffered nothing but almost constant service outages which always seem to occur at peak usage times (during the evening) and speeds that have slowly dropped from around 7mbs as indicated to now on the unusual time I have access to below the 2 mbs I had before changing plan.
I reported this fault 3 weeks after the change of plan to be told that it can take 3 weeks to “settle down” 4 months later it is only getting worse.
It is now so bad that it has taken 2 hours and 42 minutes to be able to send this email whilst trying to get any stable internet connection.
I would ask you to understand that my broadband connection is one of very few luxuries I allow myself and words can not be found to describe how angry and disappointed I currently feel.
Unless an immediate and dramatic improvement in service is provided I will have no further option other than to formally cancel my broadband service with immediate effect, I will also require my migration code as required by my new broadband provider (when chosen).

Yours sincerely

Mr D =======

Question Reference No060629-000141
Date Created: 06/29/2006 08:58 AM
Last Updated: 06/29/2006 10:08 AM
Primary username: =======

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:32 - 01 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set fire to the exchange. That will get their attention.

Im on Bt and they really do have a poor technical team. 3 weeks to "settle down"! Its not a puppy is it? its a fecking connection. They dont change your line, they just change which box deals with your data at the exchange.

They have blatantly tried to get everyone in your area to "upgrade" and cant actually supply that bandwidth, hence the poor speeds at peak times.

I hope that you get a decent ,non automated, apology if nothing else mate. It would certainly piss me off if i was in that situation.

But it seems i never will be. Despite Bt giving free upgrades to everyone in my area, its seems the exchange my little neighbourhood is on was created during Victorian times and cannot support higher than 1.1mb Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Resurrection
Ballast Boy

PostPosted: 05:43 - 02 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats funnny about this is that i used to be a broadband tech with ntHell..

You seem to of gotten the standard bull where they dont wanna deal with you and that it may just sort it self out god of telecommunications willing!

Broadband companies should be done under the trades description act.

What they offer and what you actually get are two COMPLETELY different things.

Hope it all gets sorted

Res

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 02 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaben wrote:
Set fire to the exchange. That will get their attention.

Im on Bt and they really do have a poor technical team. 3 weeks to "settle down"! Its not a puppy is it? its a fecking connection. They dont change your line, they just change which box deals with your data at the exchange.

They have blatantly tried to get everyone in your area to "upgrade" and cant actually supply that bandwidth, hence the poor speeds at peak times.

I hope that you get a decent ,non automated, apology if nothing else mate. It would certainly piss me off if i was in that situation.

But it seems i never will be. Despite Bt giving free upgrades to everyone in my area, its seems the exchange my little neighbourhood is on was created during Victorian times and cannot support higher than 1.1mb Evil or Very Mad

Right, for one the 8 meg broadband works differently from the 512/1 meg/2 meg you had previously, it uses a technology called llu (local loop unbundling) that means the isp (bt in your case) has installed there own hardware in a bt exchange.

This new technology has more problems with line quality/line noise/line lengh and short of testing they can't get it perfect, generally if your line was of good quality before they'll try to fix it.

The 8 meg broadband also has problems with some of the old hardware that people were using to connect to the broadband, version 1 netgear routers cut out roughly every hour or two but version 2/3 don't have the same issues as the hardware has recieved firmware updates to upgrade the modem driver e.t.c

Before BT will actually do anything they expect certan things to be tested.

Generally you need to have tried the following

1. replace the adsl filters that you use to connect to the internet.
2. remove every other device other then your adsl filter/adsl modem/router from the line (faxes/56k modes/answer machines/phones e.t.c)
3 Replace the adsl modem/router.
4. If your bt phone socket is the sort where the actually phone line/adsl filter plugs into has a plate with two screws on it, remove the two screws, remove the plate, behind that you have a phone socket that the plate plugs into, this is called a test socket, plug your adsl filter directly into that socket.

Hope that helps...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:46 - 02 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep done all that and using a BT modem/wireless router.

a voyager 2100
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1