Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Minor Problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 22:47 - 03 Jul 2006    Post subject: Minor Problem [HELP!] Reply with quote

Well today I put my mates new PC together, and set it up to run properly. His old one went bang a while ago, but the HDD is intact with all his music on, so I told him I could take it and put it into my PC and retrieve the music and give it back to him.

I got it home and plugged it into my, booted up my PC and sure enough it was all there, his whole HDD infront of me. Now the music is stored inside his Documents and Settings, which unfortunately is locked down because of the restrictions he set to stop people getting in. I tried using the HDD as my master instead of slave, and when I booted up and tried to log in it told me I need to activate Windows in order to let me in, or else I get logged out. I really don't want to have to go through all that just for 7 GB of music so has anyone got a way into the protected Documents and Settings?

Maybe if I drag and drop into my PC the encryption will be removed?

Help! Thumbs Up Cheers. Karma
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 03 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows XP I assume. The reason that it said you have to reactive Windows is that it detected too many hardware changes (no surprise since the drive's in a completely different machine). Is there a reason why you can't do this?

As for getting access to the data, I'm sure it can be done although I've never had the reason to try. Does it ask for a username/password when you try and access Documents and Settings?

As for dragging and dropping, I can't see that working to be honest. It'd be a major security flaw.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 23:01 - 03 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
Windows XP I assume. The reason that it said you have to reactive Windows is that it detected too many hardware changes (no surprise since the drive's in a completely different machine). Is there a reason why you can't do this?

Not really, I just don't want to reactivate Windows on that HDD and then have to do it again for my machine, also I am not too keen on having to ring them up and explain myself to them, they will think I am really dodgy Laughing

Silver wrote:
As for getting access to the data, I'm sure it can be done although I've never had the reason to try. Does it ask for a username/password when you try and access Documents and Settings?

No it just says this folder is empty, just like it does when I do it on my own machine, it is quite annoying but a good feature to have.

Silver wrote:
As for dragging and dropping, I can't see that working to be honest. It'd be a major security flaw.

Yeah I agree, silly idea Sad

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

phantomtek wrote:
Not really, I just don't want to reactivate Windows on that HDD and then have to do it again for my machine, also I am not too keen on having to ring them up and explain myself to them, they will think I am really dodgy Laughing

Why would it? After you'd finished, you'd be using your hard drive with your Windows installation. As far as it's concerned nothing will have changed.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:25 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you set it as slave and convert the filesystem on the drive back to FAT32?

In CMD

convert x: /fs:FAT32

?

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 00:32 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Convert will only allow a conversion from FAT32 to NTFS, not vice versa. Unfortunately the only way to do it is to get the OS up and running from the spare drive, as you need the encryption key that is associated to the user account (your friends).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:32 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well use partitionmagic and convert it to FAT32 then

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Re: Minor Problem [HELP!] Reply with quote

phantomtek wrote:
Now the music is stored inside his Documents and Settings, which unfortunately is locked down because of the restrictions he set to stop people getting in. I tried using the HDD as my master instead of slave, and when I booted up and tried to log in it told me I need to activate Windows in order to let me in, or else I get logged out. I really don't want to have to go through all that just for 7 GB of music so has anyone got a way into the protected Documents and Settings?

Right click it and alter the security properties (use the advanced button, click owner and then change the ownership to you). I'm assuming you hare administrator rights on your own PC.

Basically:

https://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 01:29 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Knoppix may well get around the security.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:36 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

Is Knoppix compatible with NTFS filesystems?

senna_f4
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:27 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Hook hardisk up eithe directly of through usb/fw caddy
2. Download and burn the latest knnopix cd
3. Boot on knnopix cd, hdd should automount in RO mode (Full RO NTFS support available)
4. If not use the mount command to mount it
5. Copy all the data to another hdd (FAT32, EXT3 etc) or to a network location using the built in ssh or samba server.
6. Alternatively burn to CD/DVD or at your own risk activate the RW support for NTFS and transfer files to a native ntfs drive

7. Remeber to always unmount any usb/fw drives the command is umount and the path.

Hope it helps

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:53 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:

Therefore, this being a microsoft operating system we are talking about, it's worth a try. Wink

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:54 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Silver wrote:

Therefore, this being a microsoft operating system we are talking about, it's worth a try. Wink

Dragging and dropped will work on a FAT32 file system.

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need to do is take ownership of the folder.

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 17:26 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrmick wrote:
All you need to do is take ownership of the folder.

How do I do that, what dmahon said has worked on one of the folders, but not all Sad

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

right click the folder, go to properties then advanced. Then go to owner select your logon account in the middle window and then tick replace owner on subcontainers..... then apply ity and away you go full access. Thumbs Up

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

then again we've said the same thing.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 17:41 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
sickpup wrote:

Is Knoppix compatible with NTFS filesystems?

Linux can now support reading NTFS filesystems, but I believe writing is still shakey..

a

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 19:25 - 05 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all who helped, I have now got into the files I did as dmahon and gsxrmick suggested, restarted in Safe Mode then granted myself ownership of the folders, got access to it all.

Thanks alot. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1