Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can you help? What dvd-r disk to use

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Snooky
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:53 - 05 Jul 2006    Post subject: Can you help? What dvd-r disk to use Reply with quote

I was wondering if you could help me, just downloaded this lost series from the internet, bloody good picture running off my laptop, but when I put a dvd disk into the drive to record it. The computer doesn't recognise it. Could it be that I bought minus format and these disk only say 8x.

I have a dell laptop with a dvd/rw drive x24.
First time I have bought disks you see just connected to broadband.

Thanks

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 23:59 - 05 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it definatley a DVD writer you've got, not a CDRW/DVD ROM combination drive?

What authoring software are you trying to use?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Snooky
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:03 - 06 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried nero and windows media player. I think you are right its probably just the drive, I bought it on ebay everything else has been upgraded to a desktop replacement spec apart form the cd drive. bollox. Thanks mate

0ddball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:48 - 06 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't think it's the discs, -R seems to work in almost everything.

Some versions of Nero are a bit funny sometimes with a dvd drive, mine doesn't show either yet it does in other programs. Try another burning program (pinnacle instant dvd works well for me).

Also, i assume you are wanting to write to dvd and put it in a normal dvd player to watch on your tv? If so, and they are .avi files like most stuff downloaded, they are likely to be encoded with divX. These will only play on some very new dvd players, otherwise you'd have to convert them to mpegs.

Another option if the laptop has an S-Video output is a cable straight from your laptop to the tv scart socket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 01:52 - 06 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
These will only play on some very new dvd players, otherwise you'd have to convert them to mpegs.

why convert to mpegs? thats a backwards step to put on a dvd, just re encode the divx to dvd in vision express.
totaly pointless going back to svcd .

Redliner
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:31 - 06 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

daz|n00by wrote:
Quote:
These will only play on some very new dvd players, otherwise you'd have to convert them to mpegs.

why convert to mpegs? thats a backwards step to put on a dvd, just re encode the divx to dvd in vision express.
totaly pointless going back to svcd .

DVD movies are MPEG2, think that's what he meant.

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 17:26 - 06 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
DVD movies are MPEG2, think that's what he meant.

I gathered that bit but he wasnt very informative to somebody new to burning , Wink plus the mpeg still has to be converted to .vob for it to play in a dvd player.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:41 - 10 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a disk recommendation I would go Verbatim everytime, even from the early playstation days Verbatim have always been the best.

I never use anything else.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 297 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1