Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Long Distance on Two Stroke 125's

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (26 Jul 2006 - 19:34)
View previous topic : View next topic  

YAY OR NAY
YAY
67%
 67%  [ 42 ]
NAY
12%
 12%  [ 8 ]
ARE YOU NUTS?
19%
 19%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 62

Jebus
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:06 - 12 Jul 2006    Post subject: Long Distance on Two Stroke 125's Reply with quote

Hello all,
The time is getting closer to me getting my dtr on the road, going shopping tomorrow to get rest of my kit, already have my jacket and its a nice one the joy of end of line sales Very Happy i still got to get my leather jeans, boots, gloves and lid and i got just about enough to get everything. Next week i should have enough from my wages to get first payment on insurance and mot, not really sure what it needs but slight attention to brakes they work fine but they a bit worn have to see what they say. I am right in thinking that if you pre-book an mot then you can ride the bike to it without tax? or something along those lines.

but anyway i am drifting away from the point i was asking, and that is were i live just outside Fyvie, in aberdeenshire if you know the area and i work in aberdeen (Argos Thumbs Up ) and door to door, thanks to store checker thing i did is 40 miles.
This is a long way really would my bike be up to it, it gets run on proper 2 stroke oil will get warmed up and ridden gently untill up to normal working temp. It has got 16500 miles on it and its last rebuild was at 11700 by yamaha, so its quite recent and done by yamaha so the work has been done right. Also long as i get breakdown insurance which is no brainer really and i do normally 5 days at the moment sometimes 4 or 6, keep spare plug and basic tool kit for that kinda thing.
this post is a bit muddled but thats just me i know what i mean and in summary is riding 80 miles a day on a dtr 125 really any good, or is it going to kill the bike off very fast.

This would proberly will only be for a few months 3/4 if i can really sort my arse out and other stuff at home dont happen, id guess the max will be may as thats when my cbt runs out taken me ages to get a bike and to this stage but thats just a rant. after that i will either part-ex the dt for a basic communter sorta bike (sv650 if i feeling flush) or dt goes away for a project bike.

I really need to stop drifting off topic on this
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

beatnck
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:17 - 12 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i reckon that as long as you keep up on the maintenance then it should be ok. run it on good 2 stroke (i use castrol tts), and keep a close eye on the condition of the brakes, chain, sprockets etc etc. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jebus
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:22 - 12 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i am going to i even think that i might get new pads and discs front and rear mabye even new lines and replace all the fluid and give the calipers a proper clean up. chain/sproket wise not sure on mine they dont look to bad but are filfly had the bike 7 months and still anit given it a proper clean. got to get some split pins before i start to mess around with with the back wheel. I will proberly get a decent set of sprokets and chain for it. Everything else should be ok. think i use the same oil as you and it will only get the best.

Thanks for the vote of confidence

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 23:24 - 12 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont see why not. Did 170 odd miles in one go in the boiling heat last summer on a clapped out old air cooled 125 that was drinking oil like a seal near an oil slick.

beatnck
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:25 - 12 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

you sound like you know how to keep the bike sweet, so i dont reckon you'll have any problems. and if you do then there are lots of people on here to give you good advice! ive only been a member here for a few weeks, and ive found it to be a really informative and welcoming place Smile

tokarev
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 12 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it! Thumbs Up

The most I have done in a day on the NSR is 145 miles. Had no problems at all and rekon could have gone alot further no problemo.

Jebus
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:32 - 12 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i am not going to thrash it to death but i will go the nice route, lanes for most of it then a blast down a dual carriage way and the boring way home a fast a road. yeah just got to get the bike to its mot see what they tell me get the bits for that. A good go over with an mot and more than likly overhauled brakes and chain/sprokets. I guess that the main problem that 2 strokes get of coking up wont be a problem, it will always get a nice run. Sorry keep replying to my own thread more times i type it the more sane it seems to me.

EDIT: its more the high milage per week 400 if i work 5 days and that just commuting, no fun rides 500 miles a week mabye thats a lot over a month i mean 2k it might mean that i get used to rebuilding it might needed it every month or so

Lawnie
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:57 - 12 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep on top of the maintenance, and investigate anything odd ASAP, to catch any rising problems in the early stages. I would advise that you look into alternate ways of commuting now (i.e. train, bus, lifts), so that if your bike doesn't want to start one morning, you will be ready to switch to another mode.

Jebus
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:40 - 14 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye i know what to do for that anyway, use the buses at the moment, just getting to the bus stop (6 MILES) might have to get a cheap pushbike or use taxi for that kinda thing

NSR-Rulez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 14 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it, the most I have done on my NSR in a day is 230 miles and I didnt have a problem at all.

It will be fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Biker-Kev
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:50 - 14 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike will do that no problem at all. Just keep ot well maintained, use good fully synthetic 2t oil, warm it up and regularly check everything is in order she should have no problem. You say you wont thrash it but i think we have all said that at some point along the line. A wee thrashing every now and they wont do much harm im sure.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 15 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah keep on top of the maintenance and, unless previous owners have totally abused it, you will be fine.

I did a 60 mile daily commute on a Yamaha RXS100 for nearly 18 months and the only problem was the rate of wearing through the consumables. I can’t remember how many chains and brake shoes I got through, but it seemed to need something new all the time. I put 25,000 miles on the clock in that time and only ever did minor work on the engine. I did a top end strip to de-coke and polish the piston and head, but to be honest it didn’t really need it.

The most frustrating thing was having to ring its neck to keep up with normal rush hour traffic speed. The RXS is good for 70mph, but it takes a while to get there. On fast open roads you may find the journey quickly becomes a bit of a chore.

So go for it. The bike should be able to handle it. Then save your pennies and get something with a bit more meat to make the journey more fun.

paulthewitt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 15 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the short term i say yeah it'll be fine if maintained.

however, i voted nay.

the reason being, doing 80 miles a day, it wont be long before it needs rebuilds etc.... so not really practical.

in short, get yer test done and a new world opens up. you can pick up and old er5, or cb500 for not much, they last forever and will be hugely cheaper to insure and run than your DT. the sv would also be well suited as a more "fun" alternative.

oh and you need tax, even to take it to an MOT. once it is taxed and insured, you are ok to drive it to the MOT test centre, but not back if it fails.

Paul

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 15 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you take it to an MOT centre with tax if it has no MOT?

No MOT means you can't get your tax disc.

Jack

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 16 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still should get 10'000miles out of a top end on a full power DT125, and probably 15'000m if it's still restricted?

Keep it serviced, don't run it low on oil, and warm it up properly before you use the power. Can't see any problems really other than the 40-45mpg fuel consumption with a 10litre tank.

Skunkcap Freddie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:22 - 16 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've done it numerous times on my rs125, just prepare to deal with a lot of gear changes

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 16 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long distance on a 2stroke?

https://wmuma.com/moped78/index.html

Should be ok Laughing

0ddball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 16 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 miles isn't really a long distance. Ok, it's a fair whack to commute but the bike will do it easily. I wouldn't think twice about doing a 200 mile trip on a bike in decent condition.

The only thing to avoid is constant high revs, i.e don't sit at high speed on a motorway/duel carrigeway for long periods without working the throttle a bit. And if there are any long steep downhill sections don't keep the throttle closed all the way down, give it the occasional blip.

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 18:02 - 16 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I done 200 miles in one day on my rs125 fairly hard riding, the engine was never the same again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 18:31 - 16 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done well over 200 miles in a day on my old 50, which had it's capacity increased by 50%, it was also kept above 10k the entire day.
Not a problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:02 - 16 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said good oil and c&s and there will be no probs.

tsmith
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:30 - 16 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to go from Basingstoke to London regularly on my derestricted TDR 125. All I did was to change the gearbox sprocket to a slightly bigger one (1 extra tooth) which dropped the revs by about 700rpm and made 80 mph motorway crusing a little easier on the diddy engine. Use fully synthetic injector 2 stroke oil and it should last ages. 40,000 miles later the bike is still going Thumbs Up

Jebus
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:49 - 16 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, for all the votes of confidence i will keep thrashing to the min the bike should be restricted still it does have a aftermarket can on it but front pipe is standard and i have to reason to belive that its restricted.

i gonna do my full test as soon as i can, its just getting a cheap 33hp bike thats the problem up here theres not loads and loads of them. will find one and that be a lot more fun to go that distance on then my dt

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 16 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if you're doing that kind of mileage on a 125, keep a bodging kit under the seat. Mine consists of:

Arrow Superglue
Arrow Gaffa tape
Arrow Long nosed pliers
Arrow Mole grips
Arrow Spare plug
Arrow Plug spanner
Arrow Every screwdriver and allen key i need for my bike
Arrow spare indy bulb
Arrow spare fuses

Every bike should have a kit like that, but considering the mileage on a fairly old 125, it's only a matter of time 'till something goes pop bang or fizz.

Takes up feck all room, i have one screwdriver with interchangeble heads including allen keys.

Those little electrical connector things that you get in strips and screw down onto wires are good for fixing cables, the end of my clutch cable is currently substituted by one Very Happy

Jack

GearboxGeezer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 16 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to ride up to the far end of scotland and back, just to prove that 125's are more reliable than what people seem to think.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 289 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2