Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Happy Shitday.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Stevie B
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:32 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Happy Shitday. Reply with quote

Not sure whether this should be in General Bike Pics but there is a bit of a story to tell so thought it would be suitable here. Thumbs Up

Sunday just gone was my birthday which was apt as i was to go and look at, and hopefully take away Very Happy , a CB-1 i had seen on ebay/ 400GB.
The lady selling it had been looking for £800 for it but by purely letting her know i had £600 ready to give her encouraged her to get back in touch with me when it didn't sell on ebay. We pretty much agreed on £650 before i even saw the bike (literally all i could stretch to).

So early Sunday morning dad and i head off in the car to the South Coast to the Littlehampton area.
Good journey down there and when we arrived we went straight to the bike and start looking around it. Everything seemed good so thought i would take it out for a wee testride (didn;'t know the area well so just wanted to go around the block Embarassed ). The lady was more than happy for me to take it out and didn't even want to hear about any kind of deposit etc. Thumbs Up
The testride went fine although it would cutout if left to idle too long, which i knew could be sorted out by adjusting the idle screw. Being happy with the bike, i handed over the money and did the paperwork, enjoying the great hospitality of the young lady and her parents!

We left her house around 2pm and it only took 10miles for my day to go from good to shit. Rolling Eyes
The bike kept stalling even if i revved the tits off it when i came to stopping. And to make it even worse the electric start stopped working, it was just ticking when i pushed, which i suspected was a dead battery Mad
So every traffic light was a slow down, cutout, move bike to side of road, bump start then go! Evil or Very Mad

Although pissed off, at this point i was thinking "well if i can just get it home i can sort out the carbs/ idle or whatever was the problem". But things just got worse. Thumbs Down
Next break down was on an A road and then the electric start wouldn't even make a click. A push back up a fuck off hill just to roll the bike back down got me going again but not for long. Next breakdown was on a tiny traffic controlled bridge Thumbs Down
A guy on an old Beemer stopped to help (thanks mate, your a legend Thumbs Up ) but we both knew it seemed more complex than just idle problems. He did offer to keep the bike at his place for the night but at that point i was still hopeful of it struggling home, naive old me Confused
I turned the idle screw right up, bumped it and revved the knackers off it to get it going but within a mile it started to cough and splutter, something that hadn't happened before. It was bogging down when i opened it up and was bunny hopping even in 6th!

6th and final breakdown came only about 25miles from where i had picked the bike up from, in a village called Sheet. The bike was having nomore so i knew the only realistic option left was to get it recovered. Crying or Very sad

While i waited for recovery i was trying to get my head around what the problem was going to be with my newly acquired stallion. Ended up coming to the conclusion it probably had something to do with alternator problems, so the battery wasn't getting any charge hence the bike couldn't even run from a bumpstart in the end.

The recovery guy was quality and took it back to their base, cost me £55 for recovery and storage for a night.
We headed back home with me just laughing at my birthday happening as we went. I rang the lady to tell her of my happening and she was so apologetic and geniunely concerned. She kept texting me the rest of the day worrying and asking questions about cost and whether she could help.
Now i know people are probably thinkng that i was and am being naive but i truely believe and know she had no idea that there was a problem with the bike, firstly because she hadn't used it for a while although she had charged it, and secondly because of how geniune a person she and her parents were. Karma

The next day i rang the most local bike garage to the recovery base but they didn't deal with imports! Middle Finger
As i flicked through the yellow pages for van hire services thinking to myself my only option left was to go and bring it back home to get fixed, i remembered the recovery garage also had 'electrical repairs' advertised on the right section of it, so as a last gasp effort i managed to get hold of the guy who did the electrical repairs and ask him in my nicest (non-homo) voice if he could possibly look at it for me..... he said he would! Surprised Karma

Later in the day he calls me back, as promised, and his first words are "it's your lucky day son!" Very Happy
Turns out the wiring loom to the battery was fractured so it wasn't getting any charge hence the bike not being able to run. He said the battery was on charge at that point but appeared to be fine and holding it's charge. F*cking yes! Thumbs Up

So dad and i go back down there Tuesday to pick it up. Cost £100 (so £150 if you take into account revcovery aswell), bit steep i thought though the other option probably would have cost more, but he (Roy) was a class A bloke and even made us a cup of tea before we headed back! Karma

That night i rang the young lady that it was fixed and she demanded to know the cost of everything. In the end i told her but also told her not to worry about giving me any money for it as i knew she had no idea about it and that these things happens. Two days later the owner's manual comes through the post from her, as she said she would do, and also a cheque for £150 Shocked
Now i don't know about anyone else but i thought this was so nice of her in a way, because she didn't have to if you get me. It was accompanied by a short note saying how she hoped i was fine and she knew what a poor student i was! Thumbs Up
I'm going to wait until the cheque clears then give her half the moolah back i think, becasue i know she didn't try to fuck me over, she just wasn't that type of person,i hope you can relate to what i'm saying!

The ride back was great and apart from a few little niggles i'm still yet to sort (and the horrendous pink anodized bolts), i'm really enjoying what the little 400 has to offer through the country and town!

Will do a better report on the bike itself soon. Very Happy Thumbs Up

Sorry for the long post.

Heres some pics to try and repair your now retarded eyes. Thumbs Up
(bike is dirty as just come back from a ride but you get the idea)

Cheers Thumbs Up

SB Karma

Barney
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:59 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must have been a real pain in the arse for you. Glad its now sorted, those 400 are great fun, I have the super four. Thumbs Up

Theres a post on here somewhere saying all BMW drivers are cocks, funny that Rolling Eyes Laughing

Barney
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:03 - 18 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed the pics.

Looks like you got a good deal there (apart from the problem at the start)

Not sure about the purple bolts, but a very smart bike.

Get some 090's and really enjoy the twistys. Wink

SimonB
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:05 - 18 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow so there are nice people in this world!! Glad you got your bike sorted m8.

When I sold my first pride and joy the guy rang me up to tell me that the bike fell off the trailer on the way home. Rolling Eyes

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:35 - 18 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonB wrote:
When I sold my first pride and joy the guy rang me up to tell me that the bike fell off the trailer on the way home. Rolling Eyes

5 minutes after buying my first, I was on the phone telling him that I had broken down on a round about.

He was kind enough to come and help me out, fixed the bike over the next couple of days and returned my money. I said that I really liked the bike and paid anyways. Thats damn bike just jkept breaking down again and again. I think something was trying to tell me 'walk away, walk away' Laughing

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 18 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up That's what every bike sale should be like. Really nice story. Karma

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 09:04 - 19 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wicked post Stevie, that 400 is really tidy, shows that some people aren’t out there to rob you blind at a given opportunity. Thumbs Up
Liked the write up dude, where’s the part where you lost your temper with the bike? Thinking
Seemed like you kept your cool, I have no idea how…. Lol

Killa

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 19 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool story Thumbs Up Mr. Green I love buying bikes and the roadtrip part. That cb-1 looks just like my mate's old one Thumbs Up

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 10:42 - 19 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good write up and good karma over the bike purchase. Sounds like a problem anyone of us could have had. As I've said before, bikes rot, especially the electrics, if left stood (must be some sort of universal law). You've dealt with it, I'm sure some others would have just screamed like babies without their dummies.

It was said recently that theives can target bikers as they are, as a group, quite trusting. So some toe-rag would pose as a biker, get chatting, jump on the bike and never be seen again.

Nice to know that there are genuine sellers out there as well and not just those only interested in keeping quite about a bike's history. Out of interest was the seller getting anything else or just giving up with bikes?

Good choice with the CB1 BTW.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 19 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that. We hear too many stories about ebay rip-offs etc on here. It really is good to hear that there are honest people with a concience out there. Thumbs Up

Stevie B
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:18 - 20 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your positive replies guys!

To be fair i surprised myself actually how i didn't loose my temper because i often do over these kind of situations; tend to give it the whole "it always happens to me" type moan. Instead i found myself just laughing and thinking what a funny story it'll be once it's all sorted!

Yeh the woman was great, she rang me again last night to see how i was getting on with the bike etc. Good to know there are genuine ppl out there like a few of you have said.

She was selling it because her boyfriend didn't like her riding it, thought it was too dangerous! Bit of a role reversal there to the usual hey Exclamation

I'm trying to get myself to go into the corners with a bit more speed now with the CB-1 because i think i lost alot of confidence in the corners when i had the FZR6 as i found it quite twitchy and cumbersome.

There's a slight problem with it at the moment at high revs but i better post it up in 'The Workshop' or i'll get shouted at! Very Happy

Thanks again Karma

SB Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1