Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

August Bank Holiday Weekend - Coastal Run to West Country

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

cateyes_4U
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:06 - 24 Jul 2006    Post subject: August Bank Holiday Weekend - Coastal Run to West Country Reply with quote

Three of us are going on a weekend away, starting on late Friday afternoon 25th August, leaving Ashford, Kent heading towards Hythe taking the A259 to Worthing, then onto the New Forest where we plan to camp for the first night.

From there we plan to follow the coast road to Dartmoor and then on down towards Landsend to follow the A39 up the West coast, to Glastonbury, then onto Cheddar. If time permits we hope to head up into Wales.

If anyone wishes to tag along for the weekend, you are more than welcome, but remember we are camping!! so no luxuries and as I have been reminded no hairdryers either

The latest return date is lunchtime Tuesday 29th August.

If you can't tag along, maybe we could meet up somewhere along the way!

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 08:17 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can probably tag along for one day whilst you are in the Westcountry, however I'll know for certain when a route and proposed timed plan is posted. Smile
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cateyes_4U
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:22 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once we have the complete route sorted out, will put it on here Smile

cateyes_4U
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:56 - 29 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rough route is as follows:

Starting in Ashford, to Brenzett on A2070, catch the A259 to worthing, pick up the A27 to Southampton then poss M27 to get passed Southampton to J2, A326 down to Totton, camp New Forest.
Ride around New Forest then pick any route past Bournmouth (avoiding speed camera if poss), pick up A352 -A353 to Weymouth maybe Portland Bill?. B3157 to Bridport A35 to A3052 to Clyst-St-Mary (Southwest Motorcycle Show). Carry on to pick up the B3212 thro Dartmoor Forest then A386 towards Plymouth Catch A38 to Budges Shop then A374 towards Torpoint, pick up B3247 towards Looe A387 then B3359 then A390 to Truro from then we take A39 to follow the coast through Exmoor Forest to Bridgewater, A38 to Chedder Gorge.
Depending on time could be a run to Wales or just return whichever way we want!

Dave_ZedDragen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 30 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck to you's and I hope you enjoy it Very Happy Thumbs Up

Its a shame you wernt coming Northwards.

https://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt306/zeddragen/zeddragensig-1.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cateyes_4U
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:54 - 16 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah is a shame Dave, but there will always be another time or maybe we might get to come up to Scotland and visit you again before the end of the year. Oh if I remember rightly someone has a birthday coming up Rolling Eyes

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 16:16 - 16 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

where'll you be on the saturday?

a

cateyes_4U
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 18 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the route that we are going to be following, has changed slightly from the above one.

Leaving my house in Ashford, Kent late Friday afternoon, heading towards the New Forest where we are going to be spending the first night, probably arrive there around midnightish!!

An early start Saturday (A337) and following the coast (A337, A35, A338, A35,A351, A352, A353 To Portland Bill (might scrub Bill as we want time for the SW Show)B3157, A35, A3052, (best we can) to the South West Show spend the rest of Sat there and then head on to Dartmoor (B3212)for Sat night.

Cut across Dart moor(B3212) down to Yelverton then A386,through Plymouth across the ferry to Torpoint and then A374, B3247, B3253 (Looe), A387, B3359, A390 (Though might try local roads straight across) to St Austell, follow A390, A39 almost to Truro, then North on A3076, A30, A39 all the way up to A361, Loop round back to A39 at Exmoor where we spend Sunday Night.

Then out on the A39, A38 and run up and down Cheddar Gorge a couple of times (just for fun) carry on up the A38 across on to the M5, M49, M4 in to Wales to Newport, and probably head to the Beacons for the night.

Then homeward bound on Tuesday morning, however we feel like.

This is all subject to change depending on how our arses feel and how time goes, we might throw in a few loops/detours here and there or shortcuts if ness. Probably be tents but if we need it then maybe a B&B for a comfy bed.

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 13:36 - 18 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Can you not put the route into a route planner, then link it, would be much easier to work out Smile

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cateyes_4U
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:42 - 18 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmm, I could..........if I knew how Confused

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 14:08 - 18 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Dunno seen it beofre when people have done rideouts.

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave_ZedDragen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 27 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to do that try the AA routefinder, input key parts of your journey to make sure you get the right roads included and it doesnt divert you (including towns along the roads you want to go)and make sure you tick the map option, then cut and paste the map image and save it, then either attach the image to your post or upload it to the web and link the pic.

The software autoroute is the better option but that isnt free.

https://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt306/zeddragen/zeddragensig-1.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 249 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1