Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Savings

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

RickHolt
Traffic Copper



Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:16 - 01 Aug 2006    Post subject: Savings Reply with quote

Ok, ok, boring I know. But I've just about filled my ISA this year and want somewhere else to put some money. I don't need instant access to it, 1-3 months notice would be fine.

Are the stocks ISAs any good?

I don't really know where's best to look because all the websites offering accounts seem to twist the numbers in their favour. Any tips on where to look? I picked up some papers from the RBS while I was there the other day but the rates seem low.

Also, does anyone here have a OneAccount? Are they as good as they sound?

Rick.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:22 - 01 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy pork bellies! Smile
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 01 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Building Society Postal accounts are a possibility.

I currently have one which takes one working week to access the funds, and for that inconvenience I am getting a decent amount of interest on the account.

I have also invested in government bonds, though if you want to allow them to fully mature they need to be left for five years Sad
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

queen of string
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:18 - 01 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like thisis money.com they compare different accounts. Like Anna said , you need a couple of years tie in to make a lot of difference in interest rates. Postal and Internet only accounts tend to be a little better in my experience. Also, if you have bit of spare cash have you considered premium bonds. You can get your money back any time and stand the chance of winning a prize. You dont get any interest and I woudlnt suggest them for all your savings but theyre providing a fun element for a small proprtion of my savings atm , and , you never know, it could be me Very Happy
____________________
"Eat food, not edible, food-like items. Mostly plants."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:20 - 01 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

queen of string wrote:
have you considered premium bonds. You can get your money back any time and stand the chance of winning a prize. You dont get any interest and I woudlnt suggest them for all your savings but theyre providing a fun element for a small proprtion of my savings atm , and , you never know, it could be me Very Happy




Laughing
My mum had premium bonds when I was little, and I remember her excitement and thrill at 'winning' £50!! It seemed like a life altering amount at the time (I think she bought a new tent with it!) Laughing
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:07 - 01 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy the daily mirror , once a week they have this section where to invest , which generally does not have twisted figures,

I'd personally recommend BP/Shell/Exonn oil stock shares,

Air china started off @ $1.41 , dropped and trippled in value,

HSBC is always a good bet.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:13 - 01 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motley Fool are a good source of financial info.
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot



Joined: 04 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:30 - 01 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
I remember her excitement and thrill at 'winning' £50!! It seemed like a life altering amount at the time (I think she bought a new tent with it!) Laughing


wow, living in a tent? You did have a harsh childhood Wink Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

queen of string
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:56 - 01 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

tis grim up north dont you know
____________________
"Eat food, not edible, food-like items. Mostly plants."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 64 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 1.25 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 62.85 Kb