Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Feeling Lucky.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

suzi_bandit
Traffic Copper



Joined: 21 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:14 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Feeling Lucky. Reply with quote

I'm feeling very fortunate that I didn't crash my bike this evening. It was only a 10 mile ride back from a mates but for some reason I chose to take it easy. Just had a really odd feeling and didn't feel comfortable.
Anyway, got home, got off bike and noticed that my left leg was covered in oil. Took a look at the bike and that was dripping loads of oil. From what I can see of it a stone or something must have hit the oil cooler and damaged it. Not sure how long it had been p1ssing out but the front and the underneath of the bike was covered. What frightened me the most was the amount of oil on the back tyre. Felt cold when I saw it, I really don't know how it was gripping the road. I vaguely remember being told that oil is very damaging to tyres, is this so? Hope not because I've only just scrubbed this tyre in.
I'm feeling very lucky that I didn't come a cropper. Luckily a friend of a friend just happens to have a bandit oil cooler I can have and is even going to fit it for me tomorrow.
____________________
I want a big boys bike, preferably a Speed Triple. To date I have ?7:42p stashed away to put towards one. Need to get it in the bank & earning interest asap.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:46 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wash the oil off your tyre using a scrubing brush and hot, soapy water.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Biker Boy
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:07 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure your tyre will be fine, as mentioned by stinkwheel just give it a good wash. I mean, think about how much junk your tyre is riding over every day on the road!

I once had a similar problem as you, where I had to ride my bike about 5 miles home even though i knew i had a slight oil leak over the back tyre!... scary as but just took it real easy and got home safe and sound, washed the tyre and life was good again! saying that though it was on a DTR 125 so those tyres were slightly different to most other bike tyres! chunky! Very Happy
____________________
"but like any bike it will comfortably see off anything on four wheels at the traffic light GP"
My Ninja Video!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dark
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:43 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you were lucky not to crash Shocked

I agree, i nice hot soapy bath for your tire and it'll be right as rain Thumbs Up
____________________
My Bikes in order:- Yamaha RXS100 / Suzuki X7 250 / Yamaha RD350LC / Kawasaki
KR1S 250 / Kawasaki ZXR750 H2 / Honda C50 / Kawasaki ZX7R P5 / Kawasaki ZX10R / Suzuki GSXR 400 / Honda CBR1100 Blackbird & Yamaha FZR 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:45 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucky! always trust your gut instincts. glad your safe though. Thumbs Up
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

firefox
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:04 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same happen to me but oil pump had broke, it ended in the bike spinning 180 and me flying Mr. Green , you were lucky Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

suzi_bandit
Traffic Copper



Joined: 21 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:29 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre has had a good scrub so it should be fine although I'll take it easy for a few miles.
Took the cooler off this morning and although I can see the general area from where the oil had been leaking I can't actually see any visible damage. Ended up using a cooler off a gsx 750 as a replacement. It's longer and wider than the damaged one but fitted on the bike easily enough. Topped up with about a litre of oil, fired it up and let it idle for a good 10 mins. There's no visible leaks but I'll take it out for a spin tomorrow and have a good look over it afterwards.

On the plus side, my left boot and the left leg of my leathers are waterproof. Whey-hey Thumbs Up Karma
____________________
I want a big boys bike, preferably a Speed Triple. To date I have ?7:42p stashed away to put towards one. Need to get it in the bank & earning interest asap.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 68 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.72 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 53.64 Kb