Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


MOT & Tax

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:12 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: MOT & Tax Reply with quote

HIya,

just a quick question.

My tax is due at the end of the month. The bike is also 3 years old on the 28th so due it's first MOT.

If I buy my tax tomorrow, would I need an MOT certificate, or can I get away without needing one? Or is there some rule that I must have an MOT that valid for more than one month?

Cheers

Lewis
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:15 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Think you should be OK (although there were things said about changing this a few years back I don't think anything happened about it).

I have taxed a bike on the day the MOT ran out before now.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:20 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you should be fine. I have taxed a bike with only 3 or 4 days left on the MOT before. They can't refuse really, because it is still valid before the 28th.
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:08 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should tell you on your tax form whether you need a MOT. Below(or above) 'A valid certificate of insurance'. If it says you need it on the form they will not give you TAX.
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:56 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of MOT's mine is due in Oct. But, I know the back break will need doing. Its not totally worn down but I can feel its not as sharpe as it should be.
Now, can I take the bike in next week to have a 'mot' look over and tell me what needs to be done to the whole bike? But knowing the problems I might have, its still valid till oct so I can have plenty of time to sort it out.
Is this allowed?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dark
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:10 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise wrote:
On the subject of MOT's mine is due in Oct. But, I know the back break will need doing. Its not totally worn down but I can feel its not as sharpe as it should be.
Now, can I take the bike in next week to have a 'mot' look over and tell me what needs to be done to the whole bike? But knowing the problems I might have, its still valid till oct so I can have plenty of time to sort it out.
Is this allowed?


Yep, certainly is
____________________
My Bikes in order:- Yamaha RXS100 / Suzuki X7 250 / Yamaha RD350LC / Kawasaki
KR1S 250 / Kawasaki ZXR750 H2 / Honda C50 / Kawasaki ZX7R P5 / Kawasaki ZX10R / Suzuki GSXR 400 / Honda CBR1100 Blackbird & Yamaha FZR 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:51 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise wrote:
On the subject of MOT's mine is due in Oct. But, I know the back break will need doing. Its not totally worn down but I can feel its not as sharpe as it should be.
Now, can I take the bike in next week to have a 'mot' look over and tell me what needs to be done to the whole bike? But knowing the problems I might have, its still valid till oct so I can have plenty of time to sort it out.
Is this allowed?


Hmm, well yes, if everything is OK.

BUT, if the garage spots something that it would fail an MOT for (leaking fork seals, dodgy brake etc) then technically your bike is unsafe.

The MOT certificate only proves that at the time of the test the vehicle was roadworthy and can be issued a certificate.

The MOT is pretty much only used to ensure your bike is safe for road use, so if anything is wrong, I'd get it fixed asap.
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bob-a-job
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 12 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it matter, if your bike doesn't pass it's MOT then it's ILLEGAL to ride it!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:48 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you take time to read my question? Im guessin not.
MOT is valid to OCTOBER. I wanted to take it in to see if it had any major probs i could fix before its due date.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:57 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did READ your post. I'm just pointing out the law.
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:03 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering how I know?

Was broken down at the side of the road one evening and plod decided to take a look over my bike (as they tend to round here). Clocked my chain and sprocket (which I was planning on changing the next day anyway) said that they wouldn't pass an MOT. 20 minutes later I had a FPN and 3 points on my licence with a CU20 code. (See this thread for a list.)
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dark
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:04 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

LH-ER5 wrote:
Wondering how I know?

Was broken down at the side of the road one evening and plod decided to take a look over my bike (as they tend to round here). Clocked my chain and sprocket (which I was planning on changing the next day anyway) said that they wouldn't pass an MOT. 20 minutes later I had a FPN and 3 points on my licence with a CU20 code. (See this thread for a list.)


Wow! that was harsh Confused
____________________
My Bikes in order:- Yamaha RXS100 / Suzuki X7 250 / Yamaha RD350LC / Kawasaki
KR1S 250 / Kawasaki ZXR750 H2 / Honda C50 / Kawasaki ZX7R P5 / Kawasaki ZX10R / Suzuki GSXR 400 / Honda CBR1100 Blackbird & Yamaha FZR 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:47 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise wrote:
Did you take time to read my question? Im guessin not.
MOT is valid to OCTOBER. I wanted to take it in to see if it had any major probs i could fix before its due date.


Don't forget though, something major could crop up sometime between the MOT test and the lookover. Best thing would be to wait until the next service is due and get them to check it over then. Better still, book a new MOT a few days before the current one runs out. If there is anything to be sorted, you still have time to do it before it runs out. So you lose a few days off the MOT year if it passes - does it really matter?
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:40 - 28 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope dosnt bother me looseing a few days, or a couple of weeks. I just wanted it tested.
I will just have a service soon and see what crops up.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:51 - 28 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get it MOTd before the current MOT expires, i think they may have the power to revoke your current MOT, but i'm not entirely sure.

They will certainly make you sign a disclaimer stating that you understand that the bike is unsafe for use on the road and they will accept no responsibility for any accident that arises from the condition of the motorcycle. That puts you on very shakey legal ground if anything goes wrong, MOT or not.
____________________
www.bikepics.com/members/jackcheese <--- NOW FOR SALE! 51 Plate Cagiva Planet 125
Quacker_boy: "Jack, you really are a dick!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

plugger147
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:20 - 29 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzz wrote:

Don't forget though, something major could crop up sometime between the MOT test and the lookover. Best thing would be to wait until the next service is due and get them to check it over then. Better still, book a new MOT a few days before the current one runs out. If there is anything to be sorted, you still have time to do it before it runs out. So you lose a few days off the MOT year if it passes - does it really matter?


You won't lose anytime if you take the old mot in they will add it to the new mot and you have up to a month beforethe old one ends that will be added.It's quite possible to have a 13 month mot, unless it's been changed very recently.
____________________
Tristan the wrote: just whipped off my trousers to find a big bruise on my arse, caused by matt rear ending me...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gradog
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 17 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:54 - 29 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can ask for a check over at any time, without consequence, the stealer should advise you of the work needed, and generally will be very pursuasive to do the work.
If you have noticed it, then it needs doing! Don't fuck about and get it sorted.
If you ask for an MOT he will be required to fail it if he finds anything. Free re-tests are a thing of the past.
Yes you can get a new one up to a month in advance and it will be added, but by the same token if he fails it you are buggered.
It is all computerised now, and they are required to log the MOT before starting it, and then log their findings.
____________________
Grey haired bikers don't get that way from pure luck. Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rossidude46
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 21 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:37 - 29 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what i understand, the MOT has to be valid on the day the Tax starts. so if the bike needs an MOT from the 28th, you would need to have MOT'd it to get the tax for the 1st of the next month. Which i guess you would have done by now I have taxed a bike with an MOT that expired, but was still valid, on the 1st of the month.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:55 - 29 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gradog wrote:
Free re-tests are a thing of the past.


They're not, it just now depends on what it fails for. Mine was due a free retest, but there was one thing it failed on which meant the computer wanted a full retest.

You can get the free retest if you get it sorted for the next working day.

Jack
____________________
www.bikepics.com/members/jackcheese <--- NOW FOR SALE! 51 Plate Cagiva Planet 125
Quacker_boy: "Jack, you really are a dick!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:39 - 01 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, the bike got through it's MOT fine. Tax expires today, so I've just bought it online. Seeing how late it is, would I be advised to leve the bike at home tomorrow, just in case some jobsworth traffic warden decides to throw a clamp on my bike when parked up in London?

Or are they bright enough to have an online database that tells them I've purchased it online? I'm highly doubting that!
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Trip
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:13 - 01 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you not still get away with

"Its in the post officer" Crying or Very sad

Try that...
____________________
Bike: Yamaha XJ600N Mileage: 28500 Miles Rider Mileage: Many Miles
CBT: PASSED Theory: PASSED Test: PASSED
Past-CG125 Present - Yamaha XJ600N Future - WHO KNOWS?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rossidude46
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 21 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:21 - 01 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same problem when i applied online. you can still get done for not displaying a valid tax disc and in some boroughs might get bike removed by the council.

the annoying thing was it's not clear on their website and it states it can take 5 working days for tax disc to arrive.

since it's all getting computerised these days with MOT/TAX/Insurance able to be checked by a police officer in seconds why do we still need to display the disc
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 65 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 1.42 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 117.64 Kb