Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Idiot kills his daughter

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 17:25 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Idiot kills his daughter Reply with quote

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/08/09/nbiker09.xml

Quote:
A father killed his daughter when he crashed his motor-cycle while chasing another biker "for a bit of sport", a court heard yesterday.

Desmond Fenton, who denies causing the death of his daughter Rebecca, 15, by dangerous driving, travelled at up to 80mph in a 40mph zone as he pursued the other machine.

She was thrown off the pillion and killed when 42-year-old Fenton slammed on his brakes as a Land Rover pulled out into the road in July, 2004.

Simon Spence, prosecuting, told Chelmsford crown court: "For whatever reason and however out of character, he drove his machine in a dangerous fashion… he was responsible for her death."

Mr Spence said that, on the night of the tragedy, Fenton, from Kirby Cross, near Clacton, Essex, took Rebecca out on his 1,000cc Honda.

The bike was being ridden in a sensible manner until Fenton was overtaken at traffic lights in Colchester by another powerful bike "plainly in excess of the speed limit". He gave chase.

Tragedy struck when Brian Cartwright attempted to turn out from a junction with poor visibility. The first bike, whose rider has never been traced, swerved round his Freelander but Fenton struck it and Rebecca died almost instantly.

The trial continues.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:37 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad omg thats terrible. he willhave thaton his head forever, silly fool driving like that with his daughter on the back. i know to many like that around here. its sad though Crying or Very sad

Jackyboy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:37 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a twat. turning at a junction at 80 is stupid just to try to impress yourself and your daughter. *shakes head*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 17:48 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's already suffering the worst punishment possible.

He's gotta live with that for the rest of his life. We've all had a moment of 'red-mist'. Alright, he was pretty stupid, but how do you go on living life after something like that?

sad Sad

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can see he just rode his bike like a hell of a lot of other bikers do. Can everyone on here who rides their bikes over the speed limit say that they have never passed a road junction while speeding? If you read the report it says that he reached speeds of upto 80mph in the 40 zone, it doesn't say he went through the junction at that speed. The accident occured when a car pulled out in front of him. Sounds to me like a case of "sorry mate I didn't see you, so you must have been speeding".
The poor bastard is going to have to live with this forever, but is this all his fault??

david916
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:00 - 10 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:
As far as I can see he just rode his bike like a hell of a lot of other bikers do. Can everyone on here who rides their bikes over the speed limit say that they have never passed a road junction while speeding? If you read the report it says that he reached speeds of upto 80mph in the 40 zone, it doesn't say he went through the junction at that speed. The accident occured when a car pulled out in front of him. Sounds to me like a case of "sorry mate I didn't see you, so you must have been speeding".
The poor bastard is going to have to live with this forever, but is this all his fault??

Believe it or not, over 50% of accidents involving motorcycles are avoidable by the rider. Cars pull out of junctions - fact! The fact that car drivers are supposed to give way and often don't is all the more reason to be wary around junctions and adjust position/speed accordingly and be prepared to use the horn.
It's no good lying in your hospital bed, or even later in life when your in a wheelchair, mumbling to yourself, "But it wasn't my fault." As motorcyclists we are very vulnerable and subsequently worse off in many situations so we have to be that much more 'on the ball'. I sympathise with the rider in this case and feel deeply for him (as I have a young daughter myself), but a large proportion of the blame rests with him for the accident. A huge lack of hazard perception and a high disregard for the safety of his own daughter speeding irresponsibly at twice the limit with her as pillion. She had no control over her destiny - HE DID! Mad Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lo_iq2000
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:06 - 10 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honest this is scarry stuff. My 10yr old is striving to stay in the good books for two weeks straight so he can go to his granddads on the back of my TDM.....chance of a 14 day goody goody 10yr old is slim but he is trying. I'm not a speed chaser by any means but the thought...... I think that he will want to get on a bike just like his dad but is the worth the risk

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:30 - 10 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:

I was doing well over the NSL on a bypass today, but there's a junction on the right hand side which is used relatively heavily. I slowed down slightly and when I saw a Fiat Panda waiting to turn out I put the brakes right on. They pulled out right in front of me but I had enough time to move into the right of my lane and get down to a reasonable speed. They probably bricked it more than me, they immediately put the left indicator on and pulled right over, so I went round them.

If I hadn't anticipated someone waiting it could have been a very different story, and if I'd had my girlfriend on the back I wouldn't have had any situation in the first place, because I'd be doing the speed limit.

Fast riding is risky riding, and when you've got a pillion you're not just risking your own neck, so I think it's pretty inexcusable. I just think it's a sorry state of affairs that she died and he didn't. I'm sure he feels the same.

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:08 - 10 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They pulled out right in front of me but I had enough time to move into the right of my lane and get down to a reasonable speed. They probably bricked it more than me, they immediately put the left indicator on and pulled right over, so I went round them.

Thats exactly what i'm talking about. I've lost count of the number of times cars have pulled out in front of me, even when i'm in my bright blue mondeo estate!. Its as if they either think that you will stop, or that they look, because you should, then pull out regardless anyway.
I'm not saying they guy is totally blame free, but a moments lapse in concentration is all it takes for his to get it wrong too. A big bike can hit 80 before you know it. how many times have you beed riding around enjoying yourself, then glanced down and noticed that you are doing considerably more than the speed limit?
I take it easy in towns, villages & motorways, but on open roads then I do crack on a bit, we all do (or the majority i'd guess).
Perhaps if drivers were taught to be more careful at junctions then accidents like this would be less common??
I'm sure everyones going to crucify me for saying all this, saying they dont speed with passengers, but most bikes I see riding round the peak distict every weekend 2 up are just as quick as the solo ones.

Responsible Biker
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 10 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lo_iq2000 wrote:
Honest this is scarry stuff. My 10yr old is striving to stay in the good books for two weeks straight so he can go to his granddads on the back of my TDM.....chance of a 14 day goody goody 10yr old is slim but he is trying. I'm not a speed chaser by any means but the thought...... I think that he will want to get on a bike just like his dad but is the worth the risk

Tough decisions when the time comes, but you think it's worth the risk...if he falls in love with bikes, he will think so too. My boy is only 4 months old and already I am worried about the day he comes to me and asks about getting a license.

It makes me feel a bit of a hypocrite, and gives me sympathy for my parents...!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 10 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got no sympathy whatsoever! The bloke is a piece of shit, for killing his own daughter by riding in such a stupid irresponsible way. FFS! if you were carrying your child as a pillion on your bike, you should ride well, and carefully, keeping within speed limits and taking no greater than neccasary risks, as the consequence's of your actions could kill, injure or disable your own kid, and that is a risk that i don't think any normal human being would be stupid enough to take. Mad

The guy who was speeding as he overtook was being irresponsible, but if he was not carrying a passenger, then he is responsible for just his own safety, and as such if he wants to be a loon, then the second guy should have just let him go, and that is that!

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is tragic but there are just no excuses for that. I don't know how he's going to live with himself. I suspect he won't.
There is nowhere to turn.
To say that the car shouldn't have pulled out is a pathetic excuse. Speeding or not, you should always EXPECT them to pull out and with a pillion on the back you don't have the same brakes. Speeding after someone else in a 40zone is asking for trouble.

sagalout
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:27 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lo_iq2000 wrote:

I know what you mean. I've taken both of my kids (7 and 8) on the back of my bike for longish runs (10 miles anyway - more than just round the block)

I ride like I've got glass of water on the back that I dont want to spill though. Never over 40mph, gentle acceleration, never overtake anything etc and they have all the protective kit.

Its a personal choice - my dad took me out on his old MZ when I was a similar age and I can still remember how exciting it was, which is one of the reasons I let the kids on mine. Yes its a slight risk, but then freak accidents can happen in any situation. There was a little kid killed the other day when he slipped off his pedals a and by a stroke of extreme misfortune hit his chest at such an angle that it killed him. Million to one chance. Lifes like that I suppose.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sick bastard. if if want to ride dangerous and chase other bikes don't do it with a 15 year old girl on pillion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

c-m wrote:
sick bastard. if if want to ride dangerous and chase other bikes don't do it with a 15 year old girl on pillion

Gamble with your own life, not with other peoples. Thumbs Down
RIP Rebecca Sad
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.

Spoonman
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

few very good points made in here.

i'm a believer that it's not speed that kills but bad judgment and riding into a corner which you can't see around, at a speed which does not allow you to stop safely and when there is someone else trusting you with their lives is about as bad as it gets.

the only thing that can be done know is for us all to learn from his mistake and do our able best to see to it that this sort of behaviour is not deemed acceptable in the future.

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

vee wrote:

Gamble with your own life, not with other peoples. Thumbs Down
(

Spot on Thumbs Up

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 21:24 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok he was going too fast, but i suspect it was still at least partly the land rovers fault for pulling out in front of him

there was a similar story where a tv exec pulled out in front of a biker who was behind the main pack, and that time it was the tv exec which got the full blame when the biker wd have been goinv over the speed limit because thats what happens on rideouts.

but having recently gone pillion, id say riders do tend to forget that they cant ride as they normally do as a pillion's grip isnt so good

i have a theory about the types who like to ride around in 4x4s

they know they are unsafe drivers because they have had a few near misses or prangs from not looking where they are going, so they buy a tank to protect themselves. this explains why more 4x4s pull out in front of you than any other type car

Misc
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all sometimes ride fast but why would you do it with a little girl on the back?

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 22:18 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah true

NinjaBoy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:02 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this dude going down for manslaughter or is it just a "misfortune?"
I myself was in a car accident just over 3 years ago in a Toyota MR2 Turbo (very fast) and I was a passenger. The guy driving was my good mate and decided to go drifting round a roundabout. Was fun until he went to pull off and he misjudged his steering and we almost hit a lamppost. No damage was done, but it scares the crap out of you. Same as when my dad and I came off his Africa 750 a few years back as a result of some guy pulling out and not looking.

Since these incidents I've never trusted anyone but my parents in cars - I hesitate getting lifts from mates or their older brothers/sisters who may have just got their cars.

All I know is that when I'm driving/riding in 4 months time, I won't put anyone's life in jeopardy as long as they are in/on my vehicle, and only when I see see it safe will I let rip a wee bit down dual carriageways. I have been driving since I was 13 on private roads, so I know how to. It has also made me realise you need to be careful and the slightest wrong move could cause an accident.

As long as I'm in control of my vehicle, I'll do as I please (within limits), and as long as I'm the ONLY ONE in/on my vehicle.

extreme3d
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's terrible to hear, as Dragonfly above has said he will have to live with that for the rest of his life Crying or Very sad

Misc wrote:
We all sometimes ride fast but why would you do it with a little girl on the back?

We don't know the full story here, maybe his daughter was really into bikes? Any fathers going to like that and if they both got on well together it would only be natural for them to show off together. For all we know she may even have been screaming 'faster faster'.

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 02:30 - 09 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We don't know the full story here, maybe his daughter was really into bikes? Any fathers going to like that and if they both got on well together it would only be natural for them to show off together. For all we know she may even have been screaming 'faster faster'.

My youngest has been on bikes all of his life (even whilst I was pregnant with him)
He loves it, and it doesn't matter which bike he pillions on (be it a Harley or a Honda!) In the past year (with the exeption of the trips to europe) he's probably done more miles than I have.
If anything should happen to him, I don't know how I would cope, (but to put it into perspective a bit, a little girl got knocked over on tuesday outside my house on her barbie bike.)
Yes, children don't see the dangers attached to being out on the motorbike, but deep down, would we want them to know? My eldest gets physically ill thinking about me going out on the back of anyone! Is that better? Thinking

Still a terrible story and my thoughts are with the family. RIP

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 09 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
ok he was going too fast, but i suspect it was still at least partly the land rovers fault for pulling out in front of him

Why? If it was a 40 zone he was pulling out into, it is a reasonable expectation that the traffic will be travelling at 40mph, not double that speed.

Fahd
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 09 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very tragic... Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 234 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4