Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

80mph Speed Limit

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:46 - 10 Aug 2006    Post subject: 80mph Speed Limit Reply with quote

Hi

Government document detailing the effects of raising the motorway speed limit to 80mph.

https://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_foi/documents/page/dft_foi_611725.pdf

Doesn't really fit with the horror stories they try to feed us.

All the best

Keith

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:48 - 10 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 mph faster Rolling Eyes

Like people are going to stick to that.

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 23:05 - 10 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will never happen, if anything they will make it 60.

nanny state bollocks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 10 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

And bikes are still restricted to 70? Bastards.

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont want it to change, I have a fear that if it goes up, then there will be a ZERO TOLERANCE approach to exceeding 80mph. Like fine and points for 1 mph over Confused

And that just wont do Thinking

Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:18 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't believe only cars would be allowed to go faster.pigs
but it says 80mph may be "too much" and so 72.5mph is more realistic......... Rolling Eyes Laughing
Gimme a break!

MRX Steve
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:29 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it only mentioned an increase for cars and vans, i would expect it would include other vehicles such as bikes as they already share a speed limit. I think it just meant goods vehicles would not be getting a speed increase from the 60mph they are already set at.

It does say “a raised speed limit would be enforced”, so this could mean speed cameras along all our motorways. So maybe it would be best just leaving it as it is, as currently you can easily travel at around 75 - 80 without the police doing any thing about it.

Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:15 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRX Steve wrote:

It does say “a raised speed limit would be enforced”, so this could mean speed cameras along all our motorways. So maybe it would be best just leaving it as it is, as currently you can easily travel at around 75 - 80 without the police doing any thing about it.

i think it possible to get away doing 90mph on the motorway now innit?

i do 45mph in 30's (at night on the pizza bike only of course.. Rolling Eyes ) regularly past police cars, and they don't have a problem with me doing that

deputy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:03 - 12 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that given that the police don't seem to mind people doing 80 on the motorway, there is no point in changing, as someone has already mentioned they would probably enforce an 80mph speed limit.

What I did find interesting was that half of motorway accidents are caused by goods vehicles. As far as I am concerned all HGV's should be limited to the inside lane, as most motorway congestion seems to occur when a truck doing 60mph tries to overtake another doing 59mph and takes 2 miles to do it and hence then restricts 2 lanes to 60mph. This then means that all the cars/vans move in to the outside lane and that then clogs up. This is even worse on dual carriageways as the cars just get stuck behind. I have lost track of the number of times I have been stuck behind a truck doing a 3mile overtaking manoeuver, it is so bloody infuriating.

chalky143
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:40 - 12 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesnt really matter anyway...people exceed the motorway speed limit anyway!
Previous bikes::cbr600 steelie race bike, 1989 Honda vfr750f, 2013 Honda fireblade, 2013 Ducati multistrata 1200s, 2012 Triumph street triple R, 1999 yamaha r6, vfr 800, ducati 600ss, vfr 400x2, ntv 650, bandit 600, cagiva mito 125, aprilia rs 50, honda c90x2, honda hornet 600x2, cbr 600, aprilia rx50, suzuki katana
My bike pics: https://www.bikepics.com/members/chalky143/

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:44 - 12 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

deputy wrote:
As far as I am concerned all HGV's should be limited to the inside lane, as most motorway congestion seems to occur when a truck doing 60mph tries to overtake another doing 59mph and takes 2 miles to do it and hence then restricts 2 lanes to 60mph.

Had you considered what would happen when they come accross a vehicle doing 50 or even 40 mph?

So, we've now got a whole line of HGVs doing 40mph that can't move out of the inside lane. All well and good for you, until you come to a junction.
You want to pull off? The middle lane's doing 40, but you've got to slow to 40. So's the person behind you and so on. And that's if you can find a space to fit into, or course.

Also, no one's going to want to get into the inside lane early now, so you'll see a lot of twats diving in the last minute. This then sees people jumping into the outside lane at slow speed as the twat infront panic brakes when they see a space

Similar for getting onto a motorway. Traffic may well be doing twice the speed that the inside lane is.

Nice idea, but can't see it working in reality.
If I need to get from A to B quickly, I'll take the bike Smile.

deputy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:27 - 12 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
So, we've now got a whole line of HGVs doing 40mph that can't move out of the inside lane. All well and good for you, until you come to a junction.
You want to pull off? The middle lane's doing 40, but you've got to slow to 40. So's the person behind you and so on. And that's if you can find a space to fit into, or course.

Also, no one's going to want to get into the inside lane early now, so you'll see a lot of twats diving in the last minute. This then sees people jumping into the outside lane at slow speed as the twat infront panic brakes when they see a space

Similar for getting onto a motorway. Traffic may well be doing twice the speed that the inside lane is.

Nice idea, but can't see it working in reality.
If I need to get from A to B quickly, I'll take the bike Smile.

Well that is my next idea, fit all heavy goods vehicle with some sort of proximity detector that stops the bastards driving 3 feet from the vehicle in front, it annoys the hell out of me when you are driving at 60mph on a motorway/dual carriageway and some arsehole in a truck is close enough to kiss your exhaust pipe. Is it any wonder they have accidents, HGV's aren't exactly renowned for their stopping capabilities, yet they drive closer than everyone else!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:35 - 12 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think I'm ever doing 60mph on a motorway in the inside lane unless I'm in me van.
It can take massive amounts of fuel to accelerate in a big lorry, so it can cost the driver a lot of money if they slow down, then have to accelerate again.

However people sitting up my arse in my car does annoy me (oddly enough, don't really have it happen on me bike Neutral ) - usually BMW X33/X5 drivers Rolling Eyes.

My 'big plan' for that is an amusingly named 'gapso', like a gatso, but measures the space between people.

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 13 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
'gapso', like a gatso, but measures the space between people.

Laughing Thumbs Up

torpedo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:50 - 16 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol G, but you'd always get some bastard infront who slams his anchors on and makes you get fined for the reduced gap! Laughing

tbh its easy enough to do 90mph or even over a ton on a motorway on a motorcycle... just look where your bloody going lol.

two lorries beside one another? not a problem.... Twisted Evil

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 16 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

deputy wrote:
Well that is my next idea, fit all heavy goods vehicle with some sort of proximity detector that stops the bastards driving 3 feet from the vehicle in front, it annoys the hell out of me when you are driving at 60mph on a motorway/dual carriageway and some arsehole in a truck is close enough to kiss your exhaust pipe. Is it any wonder they have accidents, HGV's aren't exactly renowned for their stopping capabilities, yet they drive closer than everyone else!

Trucks are limited to 56mph for a start and if you want to drive in the middle lane and hold them up thats your own look out. We never had the problem until the government made the restrictors law, so dont blame the truck drivers.

And as for trucks causing more accidents do you have anything to back up your claim?

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 17 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrmick wrote:
And as for trucks causing more accidents do you have anything to back up your claim?

Point number 10 in the link above states half of the accidents on motorways involve goods vehicles.

NinjaBoy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:20 - 17 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRX Steve wrote:

OK so let's say they raise the speed limit:-

1) People will drive 10MPH faster than the allowed speed limit so 90 will be 'the new 80' as it were

2) If the new limit were to be enforced, you'd end up needing either:-
- Police every 50 feet to pick up all the speeders (because let's face it basically everyone goes faster than 70 on the motorway), which means they need more money to hire more police, buy more police cars/bikes etc
OR
- Some kind of automated system to save police the above job which would cost millions aswell

If the first one were to be used, you'd end up seeing blue flashing lights on the hard shoulder every 50 feet - and it's a fact when people see blue flashing lights on the hard shoulder they slow down - so this will cause the congestion to get worse.

I don't think the police will think this through if they do decide to bring this into action Confused

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:07 - 17 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinjaBoy wrote:
1) People will drive 10MPH faster than the allowed speed limit so 90 will be 'the new 80' as it were

No evidence that this is true, and studies have found the opposite to be true.

All the best

Keith

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 09:06 - 18 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Yeah Ive heard that studies show, that if the speed limit is something more sensible then people will stick to.

Take really built up residential areas, you will see alot of poeple going 30 because it makes sense.

On the motorway 70 is a stupid number so no one bothers.

Its not speed cameras or traffic cops that are the problem, its the law we need to change.

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

APNess
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:21 - 18 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been mentioned, most people do 80 ish anyway, which translates into around 73mph real speed. If speed limit is up to 80 most people will do 90 (around 83mph) but I personally think it should only be in those lanes where chevrons are marked and there is a requirement to keep 2 chevrons between you and the vehicle in front (they appear on the M62 from Leeds to Manchester in places, and I think are a good idea, as most seem to abide by them).

I don't think it's speed that's the problem on the motorway, it's people driving too close to the vehicle in front that's the problem, and not being able to see someone up ahead bung their brakes on, so that the first thing they know about a car in front slowing down is when the smash the back of it.

Consideration should also be given to the legal limits of tyre tread too if the speed limit rises. Sit at a higher speed all day and your thin near illegal tyres are gonna get hotter faster and risk going pop...

Those are just my thoughts - I don't know what system/safeguards are in place in Germany but they've had fast roads for years and probably lower accident/death rates, so it proves that speed on it's own isn't the problem, it's crap driving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 18 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinjaBoy wrote:

OR
- Some kind of automated system to save police the above job which would cost millions aswell

I don't think the police will think this through if they do decide to bring this into action Confused

That's what they've gone for. ANPR systems on every motorway in the country within 10 years I think. They're already up and running around Birmingham, but they don't issue tickets, they just alert the police.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 17:37 - 19 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about GAPS is that some stoopid bugger will always fill it, no matter what you do...so in effect you end up going backwards!

In Holland and Brussels lorries arent allowed to drive on Sundays, I think thats a splendid idea...they should make that applicable to people towing caravans too!

(opens a big can of worms)

Teaman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 20 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

How will it be enforced due to the fluctuation in the speedo's acuracy the faster you go.
If they nab you for going too fast you could use this in court (although for you to be going 81 the speedo will most likely be reading 90)
its impossible to police effectively and fairly so they will start with the minority like bikers,
is it the autobahn where any speed is fine as long as your safe, tale gating will get a heavy bolocking and so on,

How about, instead of changing the speed limit, start enforcing correct lane useage I have noticed an increece in needing to undertake muppets doing 70 in the middle or fast lane when the inner lane is clear.
I dont use the inner lane if i can help it 1 due to having to over take lorrys all the time and 2 due to the lane damage by lorrys throwing my bike left to right

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:00 - 20 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
The thing about GAPS is that some stoopid bugger will always fill it, no matter what you do...so in effect you end up going backwards!

I for one would sit in the outside/middle lane a lot less in my van if I knew there was a space I could pull back out to when I pull in to let people past.

However usally if I pull in I end up not being able to pull out again because of no gaps, then getting stuck behind an even slower moving vehicle, meaning that it's even harder to overtake.
So, I often just stay in the middle/outside lane and hold people up.

The way I see it, if you want to get past, get a bike Wink.
(As the sticker on me car says!)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2