Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

RGV Engine Out Job

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 18:15 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: RGV Engine Out Job Reply with quote

so i've been really lazy with this so far, i bought it a few months ago, and it seized on the way home from picking it up, was so disenthused given that i hadnt got to ride it yet, that i just let it sit in the garden for a while, also knowing nowt about two strokes it means learning a whole new layout of engine and components from a basic inline 4

this weekend my toolbox finally got the better of me and i set about removing the engine

you can do a top end rebuild with the engine in the frame, but i didnt fancy getting all frustrated with the difficulty whilst trying to fit piston rings and gudgeon pins lying upside down on a cold lumpy concrete floor, so the engine was coming out i decided, at least this way i can see what im doing

i managed to fuck up the right side engine case and clutch cable in the process of removing the engine, the clutch cable has a threaded metal portion on it, that screws through a small outcrop in the engine case to support it (stupid design if you ask me, the first time ive seen it done like this on a bike) i unscrewed it the wrong way introducing tension rather than removing it, whilst trying to remove the clutch cable, hard to explain in words, but it stripped the threads on the engine casing and as it wouldnt screw back in the other way due to stripped threads, to release the tension i had to take an angle grinder to the clutch cable Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes

ordered a new engine case on ebay for 12 quid and a clutch cable, so only about a 20 quid mistake this time, and a lesson learnt

took me about 3 hours in total to get the engine onto the ground, rgv forum members claim times of 50 mins once you know what youre doing, but having removed only a h100 engine previously, im not quite what you would call experienced

the cause of the seizure was a rusty fuel tank, causing flakes of rust to clog up the jets in the carbs, so a newer less rusty fuel tank is on the way from ebay (£45)

ive picked up a new barrel and head as well, so all that remains is the pistons and rings, and associated garb, and a bit of praying that the bottom end isnt buggered at all from the seizure Praying

anyway, some pics attached for your interest, the next stage involves more money for the pistons and stuff, so might be a few weeks, but i shall try and keep you posted how it goes

believe the BCF bookmakers are giving it 5 to 1 that it never makes it back to a serviceable state, time will tell Wink

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/rgv2.jpg

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/rgv3.jpg

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/rgv1_116.jpg
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:22 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That lil 'ol motor is a completely different shape to an inline 4. I love the look of the old RS250 and RGVs and the likes, but as you have found out as everyone keeps on posting is that they seize and get fooked quite easily. I have barely enough knowledge to cope with an IL4 let alone a 2 stroke.

Should be a nice little bike when up and buzzing again.

Good luck fella Thumbs Up

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! What a mess, pictures like those make me cringe and hide Shocked

Good luck with getting all those pieces back where they should be Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:32 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark wrote:
Wow! What a mess, pictures like those make me cringe and hide Shocked

Good luck with getting all those pieces back where they should be Neutral

It looks worse than it actually is, its just all the brackets, connectors and other do dads that are disconnected and loose.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 19:17 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it does look horrifying, in fact the first time i lifted the tank and airbox off, i was 5 seconds away from relisting it on ebay, there are just so many control cables, tubes, and wires going everywhere it just looks a complete mess, no order to it whatsoever

but i have the diagrams of the way everything is supposed to route, and once the engine is fixed and back hanging in the frame i guess just taking it very slowly is the way to go

i will be as surprised as you though Laughing
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:20 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics, pics and more pics is the best way to go for wires, cables and connectors.

I was shitting a brick when I tried to pluck up the courage when I removed my tank and bits for the 1st time, but when it all goes back you stand back and think 'I did that' with a big old smile on your face.

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
I have barely enough knowledge to cope with an IL4 let alone a 2 stroke.

There's nothing to a 2 stroke compared to a IL4. Thumbs Up

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:52 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrmick wrote:
Whosthedaddy wrote:
I have barely enough knowledge to cope with an IL4 let alone a 2 stroke.

There's nothing to a 2 stroke compared to a IL4. Thumbs Up

Well bugger me with a fish fork.

So, would a little 2 stroke sports bike be a nice little project?

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a nice project yes but they can go bang on a regular basis.

Heres the basics of a 2 stroke, notice very few moving parts (newer bikes have powervalves that vary the exhaust port height thats all)

https://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g175/VFR400R/two-stroke_cycle.gif

And a complicated 4 stroke. Wink

https://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/a/a6/4-Stroke-Engine.gif

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember watching Scrap Heap Challenge and the little diagrams and animations on the difference between a 2 & 4 stroker, but why do they explode all the time.

It seems every other post in the workshop or newbie section is related to a 125 going wrong and needed a top end rebuild or seized pistons.

Is it due to the fact that oil is needed in the petrol or the fact that they can be ragged harder?

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked after they are fine.

Most failures are due to lack of oil, too lean a mixture or bad / non existent servicing.

If you buy a standard one and leave it that way and look after it it should serve you well, it's when you start wanting more power things tend to go wrong.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:52 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

RS125 + NOS = Big bang Laughing

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:00 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
It seems every other post in the workshop or newbie section is related to a 125 going wrong and needed a top end rebuild or seized pistons.

Try getting 25+hp from a 4 stroke 125 and see how low it lasts with a learner as an owner Laughing .

Rebuilding a 2 stroke is a doddle compared to a 4 stroke.

All the best

Keith

plugger147
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with keith a 2t engine rebuild is much easier, the hard parts setting it up right afterwards. Laughing

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 23:42 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck goose, im sure you will do it, I know you, it will take a while but i would put money on riding it in the future.

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

nick 15
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:52 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here

Will look ausm im sure

Lol

Nick

boredus
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:05 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and greetings. No Offence to all the 4 stroke nuts here, you are far better off posting your pics at https://www.rgv250.co.uk . the site is purely dedicated to RGVS and there are some good mechanics on there, you can also get almost anything you are looking for off the lads on there!
Mine is in bits too, it died on the way home from buying it on ebay.... only difference being I know my way around a 2 stroke but its the 'diesels' that confuse me!
If you own a 2stroke you will get used to scenes like that! but once you get to ride them its worth the effort!

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:36 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

boredus wrote:
it died on the way home from buying it on ebay....

I know that feeling Crying or Very sad

Welcome to the forum

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 02:44 - 16 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be fine Goose. I completely stripped a TZR 250. Rope G the punisher into helping too you'll be zinging it around before you know it.

Failing that, someone distract MarJay for 50 minutes and we'll nab his engine.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 15:18 - 16 Aug 2006    Post subject: Re: RGV Engine Out Job Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:

believe the BCF bookmakers are giving it 5 to 1 that it never makes it back to a serviceable state, time will tell Wink

I'll put £30 on that Thumbs Up

Actually with Anne bullying you it might actually get put back together, though whether it'll be working is a different matter.
Remember where you've put all the bits this time Smile

Good Luck, secretly I think you'll manage it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

greenmeanie
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:06 - 16 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO NO NOOOO! you will NEVER, EVER manage it, its not even worth trying!!!!!!!!!!

tell you what, just let me take it off your hands for you, ARRGHHH I WANT ONE!!!!! lol good luck!! Thumbs Up Mr. Green

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 18:36 - 16 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it goose, the problem i find with taking loads of stuff apart at once is, which and where each bloody bolt goes Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 16 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do give up, which I hope you dont, you could always sell me the engine so I can throw it in my RG125 frame Wink

Na, it'll be well worth it once you get it up and running again, they're mental machines! Cool

msgander
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:29 - 18 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

it will get finished I'm sure because the one working bike goose has (the sexy trx....) is soon to be mine with luck! - that should provide some incentive for this one to get fixed!

He will do it, he wont let it beat him lol Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 257 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2