Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BMW 1150 GS hire

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Runt
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:37 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: BMW 1150 GS hire Reply with quote

Quick question, I'm going to Aus soon and hiring a GS for me and the missus, never having ridden one is there anything i need to be aware of?
I ride a Deauville right now and yes I realise there's going to be a major difference hence the question.
Any help / advice appreciated

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 21:15 - 16 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The indicator switches are gay. One button each side to indicate and another on (rhs i think) to cancel.

Other than that and the immense height, they are fairly standard.

Runt
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 17 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for that, I've arranged to go look at one this weekend at a dealership so should get a descent grasp of the thing.
Maybe I aught to have done that before hiring it LOL

Runt
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 24 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never got to look at one after all but picked it up in Perth(W.A.) on a rain soaked day and set off for Albany that afternoon in the pouring rain.
Had to buy some wet weather kit as i expected decent weather at that time of the year.
6 hours, 250 miles, high winds, driving rain and 36m long road trains on an unfamiliar bike........ absolute bliss.
Then back up to Perth(windy but dry) over 2 days via the Valley of the giants(BIG trees and tree top walk) and night stop over in Margaret river.
If your ever over that way the Albany highway has great views and is in excellent condition although its not dual carriage way or motorway but it does have overtaking lanes on the bigger hills.
Going from Albany to Margaret River we used the South coast highway via the valley of the giants and the route 10. Fantastic winding roads through the tree lined hills.
Margaret River to Perth was coast road dropping into various beaches then route 10 Bussell highway to Mandurah then the South western highway into Perth.
1260ish km in total averaging 400km per day. Nice roads, relaxing rides (except the first day) and a happy missus.
Does it get any better?

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:47 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely and comfy for the rider but not so good for pillion, when I ride pillion on Nicks my arse, hips and backs of my knees ache for a couple of days after, I put it down to the rear pegs being up higher than his old bike. Other than that plenty of power and a good all rounder. And as already said, the indicator is on the left for left and right for right but only one cancellation switch which is on the right, dont know if I could get used to that but Nick has it now, took him a while to grasp though. As I understand this is the same set up as some harleys.

Nick with his:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/nandh/Nick.jpg

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

matching lids and jackets? awwwww Razz

Runt
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Island girl but as I'd already been and come back a little late lol.
I'd have to agree with you its a great bike and Julie (My better half) found it far comfier than our Deauville for pillioning (is that a word?)
I'd actually have bought one by now but the part ex on my Deauville was criminal(see other thread:- salesmen grr)
So its on with my Deauville which is still a nice bike mind you untill i find the deal I want.

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 13 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keen wrote:
matching lids and jackets? awwwww Razz

Yes I know Keen, mind you have seen a few couples with matching accessories but when I can afford to do so I will replace with different lid and jacket, I feel a nice girly pink jacket coming on lol!

Doh!, sorry runt, never bothered looking at the date Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 201 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1