Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scotland trip planning

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

spitfire
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:49 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Scotland trip planning Reply with quote

Myself and a friend are going to ride to Scotland from Cambridge next week weather permitting. Our loose plan in A1 up north then on to Edinburgh, up to Jon O groats, across to Skye then down to lock ness and back.

Can anyone recommend any good roads to take on the way or places to avoid ?

Cheers

PS: I did read the Scotland thread below but Im after some road numbers....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:03 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably do it anyway given your route but the roads in the far North West are awesome. From Thurso, head West to Durness then South to Ullapool.

I'll give you some road numbers later when I have my map in front of me.

Just don't get caught out by the distances involved. People often underestimate this grossly.

Carlisle to Inverness is a good five hour ride.

Inverness to Thurso is another four hours.

Thurso to Ullapool will take a good five hours (depending on how radge you go on the durness/Ullapool road. Ever gone down a single tracker at 90+mph? Mr. Green )

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:31 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Re: Scotland trip planning Reply with quote

spitfire wrote:
...any good roads to take on the way or places to avoid ?...

If you go up the A1 and you could call in at Squires (take the A63 Selby turn, then head for Leeds on the old A1, turn off onto the B1222. Get back onto the new A1 by going back the same way).

Further up the A1 I'd get onto the A66 at Scotch Corner. Just as you get onto the A66 there's a layby that has a good hot food stand and toilets if you need another stop. I'd avoid the services unless you need petrol. If you stay on the A66 then it would give you a chance to try the A686 Hartside cafe road and get into Scotland that way (although a bit of a detour). Alternatively try it as a way of getting down from Glasgow to the A1 on the way back.

Once in Scotland if you want to take the scenic routes I'd just pick any A road with 3 digits or any B road. If you're on the A93 north then just after Braemar take the A944 and then A939 towards Tomintoul. There's a few distilleries up there if that's your thing. Just after Tomintoul there's the Bridge Of Brown (brig o'brun) which I hope still has the cafe there. It's an interesting road anyhow and going via Grantown to Nairn on the A939 is a good way up to Inverness.

If camping in Skye then the midges can be pretty fierce. Remember to take up some stuff to keep them away. They like anyone wearing black and who's hot and sweaty, so really love bikers Wink Avoid campsites that are low lying and near water. Done a quick search and this one is motorcycle friendly.

Of course the classic road, on your way to/from Skye get onto the A896 and go to Applecross Very Happy

I'm sure there are other I'll think of.

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinkwheel are those time estimates based on a C90 trying to get optimum fuel efficiency? Smile

I took near on the same route... the A1 will fly by till scotch corner, I would take the A9 up to inverness, and follow it most of the way, When you get to Tain and cross the bridge follow signs to Bonar Bridge/SpinningDale/Lairg/Ullapool/Lochinver, The roads from and between those places are spectacular....

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:14 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDonUK wrote:
Stinkwheel are those time estimates based on a C90 trying to get optimum fuel efficiency? Smile

No, they are based on my numerous trips up to the Highlands of Scotland.

AA route planner: Carlisle to Inverness: 4h 30min
Inverness to Thurso: 3h 30min
Thurso to Ullapool: 4h 10 min

And I added some time to allow for having a sore arse and possibly wanting to stop and have something to eat or drink.

As to routes, I would probably spank it up the A9 to Inverness. If you are serious about going to John o Groats then you will probably have to stick with the A9. It is a crap road in my oppinion and passes through an area of Scotland called the flow country, spectacularly flat and featureless.

A much nicer route would be to give up on the idea of John o Groats and head up the A836 through Lairg and Altnahara. It is a fast single tracker that takes you through some truly spectacular scenery and comes out at the every picturesque Kyle of Tongue.

From here I would head West on the A838 to Durness then follow signs for Ullapool (fantastically fast road, utterly awesome on a bike).

From Ullapool I'd head South then turn off for Achnasheen. If the weather is good, go via Poolewe on the A832, they've been upgrading it to a superspeed megahighway with noone on it using European money.

Again. If the weather is good, turn onto the A896 at Kinlochewe. You will see signs for Applecross just beyond Shieldaig, follow them. It is a circular tourist route with some of the most spectacular, single-track switchbacks dropping 1,500 feet in about six miles. If you take the first turn off you go up the hill, if you take the second one (about three miles further on) you go down the hill (downhill is best IMO).

Having done this detour, continue on your way through Lochcarron and turn right onto the A890 for Achintee. There is a hotel about a mile down there who don't mind dripping wet bikers drinking tea and warming up in the bar (for some reason it always pisses down on me within a ten mile radius of Lochcarron).

If the weather is foul, head south from Ullapool on the A835 and take the secoind turning onto the A832 just north of Garve. Turn left onto the A890 at Achnasheen (the mega-road abruptly turns into single track after about 15 miles with little warning, on a sharp right hander under a railway bridge, be warned!). Then hang a left (still on the A890) to take you to Achintee.

Continue along the A890 which takes you up over the hills and onto the A87. Hang a right to go to Kyle of Lochalsh and the Skye bridge.

If you have time. You can turn left on the A87 and carry on to Shiel Bridge. Take the minor road signposted to Glenelg which is a silly hill pass. There is a ferry at Glenelg that takes you across to Skye with an equally stupid hill pass coming back onto Skye.

Just my route there, you don't have to follow it. I would suggest getting to Inverness or thereabouts on day 1. Taking the run over to Ullapool on day two then heading for Skye on day 3.

Be warned, fuel stations can be thin on the ground ESPECIALLY on a Sunday when a lot of them are closed. If in doubt, fill it up. You can do it with a 100 mile tank range but it requires you to pay attention. Ask at the filling stations for where the next one is on your route.

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stinkwheel"]
TheDonUK wrote:

No, they are based on my numerous trips up to the Highlands of Scotland.

AA route planner: Carlisle to Inverness: 4h 30min
Inverness to Thurso: 3h 30min
Thurso to Ullapool: 4h 10 min

I wouldent pay much heed to what the AA route planner says a car will do abiding by the speed limits.....

I found carlisle to inverness to be much quicker than 4 hours... even in the rain...

spitfire
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:52 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gents

many thanks for all the help, however after some last minute thinking and weather checking we have decided to go to france. Just got some cheap ferry tickets, my mate has done france before so he knows some good roads.

I'm going to save Scotland for the camper van and take the mrs!

thanks again for the help. !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do it the other way round if i were you, scotland for the lovely roads and the bike and the campervan for france with their over zealous police

Its the wrong choice to make but its your choice, have fun with it Smile

spitfire
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:30 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDonUK wrote:
I would do it the other way round if i were you, scotland for the lovely roads and the bike and the campervan for france with their over zealous police

Its the wrong choice to make but its your choice, have fun with it Smile

maybe maybe not......we might get though france and into germany....see how it goes !

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:52 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDonUK wrote:

I found carlisle to inverness to be much quicker than 4 hours... even in the rain...

a) I don't believe you.

b) If you did, you are VERY lucky indeed to still have your licence with the speed you would have to have been doing on the A9.

It is 253 miles. To do that in four hours would mean an AVERAGE speed of 63mph, including getting a clear run through the contra-flows and 50 limits at Glasgow and no fuel stops.

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:42 - 16 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinkwheel, when you ride every day in london, looking out for police/speed cameras becomes second nature... up there is like a holiday

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 03:22 - 16 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe there should be a race to settle this discussion

gentlemen, on your marks, get set....... go !

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 04:10 - 16 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, it's no skin off my nose. If I'm going to catch a ferry from Gills Bay to Orkney, I will leave at least nine hours before check-in time from Carlisle and no amount of arguing will change that.

Anyone else can feel free to please themselves how long they think it will take.

tonyyzf
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:06 - 16 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about Carlisle to Inverness but Inverness to Thurso is only 2 hours, you can do it in 2 hours 15 by car.

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 16 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Hey, it's no skin off my nose. If I'm going to catch a ferry from Gills Bay to Orkney, I will leave at least nine hours before check-in time from Carlisle and no amount of arguing will change that.

Anyone else can feel free to please themselves how long they think it will take.

Fair enough perhaps we have different styles of touring... mine errs more to the "balls to the wall flatout" variety rather than sight seeing...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:07 - 16 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyyzf wrote:
Don't know about Carlisle to Inverness but Inverness to Thurso is only 2 hours, you can do it in 2 hours 15 by car.

I will conceed that is possible with a clear run through, I've never been lucky enough to have one though.

But Carlisle to Inverness on an elderly GS500 in four hours Thinking .

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 15:17 - 16 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 63mph average over that amount of time does seem rather high. I was tanking it through a twisty part of France a few days ago and only managed a 45mph average over 3 hours. This included getting flashed by 3 speed cameras.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1