Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Please help me!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

emma_69_
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:17 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Please help me! Reply with quote

I am very interested in riding bikes.

I hav riden off-road on a yamaha DT125 and loved it (however the bike was a bit heavy)

I had a scooter for a year and now have a car, its only been 3months and im going to sell it for a bike.

I im sitting my test in september and want to get a bike straight after.

However i have no idea what bike to get. i was originally interested in a CBR125 but i would really like at least a 250cc(i like to go fast!)

I was also interested in a kawasaki ER5 but my insurance quotes were high.

Im looking for a fast bike with good acceleration without ridiculous insurance as i am just about to turn 18 so insurance is a problem.

I can afford no more than £1000 for a bike and would need something reliable that doesnt need much maintenance.
Also as its a restricted test I am doing it must be 33bhp or less.

I dont know a lot about bikes which is why i need peoples advice.
Please help if you can!

Emma.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:15 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your going to be restricted to 33bhp and all 33bhp bikes (restricted or otherwise) will be pretty much similar, so I'd go for what you like / can afford. Thumbs Up
____________________
If you dont like the way that I ride.......Stop trying to keep up!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:20 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Re: Please help me! Reply with quote

Have you rung around lots of companies for insurance?

I've often found the most expensive companies can be from 4 to 10 times more expensive than the cheaper ones!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

emma_69_
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:59 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a quote for a kawasaki ER5 and the cheapest I got was £600.
I dont know if this is reasonable or not but its a bit more than what i was hoping for.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Handsome
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:04 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what though Fully Comp' TPFT or TP.....
____________________
Previous Bikes...Honda NSR 125 RR...Kawasaki Zephyr 550...Suzuki SV 1000 S...Yamaha FZ8...Current Bike...Suzuki GSX-R 750...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

emma_69_
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:07 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TPFT
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:34 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it's worth going TPFT on a £1000 bike - invest in some good security instead.

There's all sorts of other ways you lose money if your bike is stolen and you claim on TPFT, so you can in some cases lose the value of the bike from excess, cancled insurance, lost no claims etc.

Get some TPO quotes and it should seem a fair bit more reasonable.

Personally I'd reccomend something like an SV if you can find one that cheap (I managed to find one for £1k after quite a bit of looking) - these will offer you more potential to progress further before you get 'bored' of the bike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tonyyzf
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 13 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:50 - 16 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look on ebay and get some idea of the bike/price range that you like, then spend a day getting quotes, as said before the difference between insurance companies can be so unbelievable.

Once you've decided what bike you want go to the autotrader webpage and using their search facility you'll get a good choice to choose from.
____________________
Something dark reddish with two wheels and cagiva written on the side
SS50, CB175, CB250N, CB350, CB750K2, DT250, CB750K1, CB750F1, XS1100, CB750F2, FJ1200, FZR1000, YZF1000, GSXR1000, Cagiva Navigator, Triumph Tiger 1050
https://www.cliqueyclanmcc.co.uk/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

emma_69_
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:13 - 16 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 59 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 4.5 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 58.14 Kb