Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Strange garmin problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 11:07 - 23 Aug 2006    Post subject: Strange garmin problem Reply with quote

Posting it here, rather than workshop, as you lot will be more likely to have been playing with GPS units Smile

Strange problem this.

I've wired my Quest 2 in, using the power and audio cable provided by Touratech.

The unit is powered no problem, however I was intending wiring that into my autocom. This autocom has 2 sockets, one stereo audio, one mono audio +mono mic. I'm using the stereo audio (music lin in) for my MP3 player, and was hoping to use the mono line-in on the aux-2 port for the GPS audio.

I took the jack socket off, to expose a red and blue wire. The Blue seems to be the sheild, and the red the signal. I've got a tip-ring-ring (stereo) style jack going into the autocom, where one channel is the mono audio and the other is the mic, so I attached the red/blue output from the garmin to the mono audio line in.

Strange thing is, I get the audio, but it's very broken, and doens't seem to complete what's being instructed, but the very weird thing is, ithe GPS stops being powered.

I thought I'd wired up the audio wrong, so as soon as the quest appeared to stop being powered, I pulled the audio connections out quick-sharp, and the GPS got power again.

I now have 2 power/audio cables as I thought I'd cooked the first one, but it appears it might be this audio problem. Is there a special widget required to sit between the Quest and the Autocom to allow the audio instructions? Is it not as simple as connecting a audio line-out to an audio line-in?

tia

a

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 13:02 - 23 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looking into this before and was told problem was on the Autocom that the 'phone socket is, as you say 2-way. Then it got confusing as some people say their phone is also charged when plugged in, meaning that there's some power from this socket Confused Could be what you're experiencing.

Autocom recommended upgrading to a unit with 2 aux INPUTS, but they would wouldn't they Rolling Eyes I'm not ready to switch my 5 pin headset system for the sake of an input, can't justify all that expense.

So I was looking at maybe a Y connector to allow 2 into one. Was advised that this maybe won't work because of the audio levels (MP3 music would be best to dip in volume for the Garmin directions). I'm sure I saw an advert or eBay item for a dual Autocom connector but can't find it now Brick Wall

Next step was to look at an amp to allow 2 into one. Found XMA3 but almost as expensive as replacing the Autocom. There's also something called the Mix-It, but that doesn't look any cheaper. I've been advised to get out my soldering iron and build this circuit (pdf file) which is a passive GPS/music mixer for use with older Autocom intercoms. If you, or anyone else builds this then I'd like the info/parts (hell, I'll even pay for it built!). Transformer in the circuit is an LT700, £1.50 from Maplins. The rest is just 2.5mm plug/socket & lead, 3.5mm plug/socket & lead plus some resisitors and an earth lead to the bike. My problem is that I just don't build electric circuits that well Embarassed

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 14:01 - 23 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pro-7 sport HAS 2 inputs tho.. (it's an '04 7-pin model)

one stereo audio (music line in)
one aux 2 (mono music and mic)

I'm trying to use the mono line in on the aux-2 socket.

I might try that circuit tho, but just for the audio channel of the aux-2 socket, rather than adding it as a second line on my stereo music channel.

a

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 14:16 - 23 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autocom part number 1282 for an isolator box, which splits the mono audio, and mic from the Aux 2.

That plus a lead comes to £29

Sorted

a
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 252 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1