Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike safe London; a rider?s eye view (Warning: Long!)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 14:48 - 30 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
What you are saying Killa is that advanced training is pointless because you are already a great rider.

This is obviously because advanced training gives you 'too much' to think about on the road.

Personally I would say that if you (meaning everyone) can get all of the police roadcraft stuff to the point where you /don't/ need to think about it, then you (meaning everyone) would be a much better rider..

Finally some fucking questions.... Rolling Eyes

I didn't say anything about me being a great rider, I’ll never be a great rider IMO as I will probably never track day a bike nor would I say you could cram all the training from Bike Safe and the like so I’ll just be a road rider for my biking days.
I expect if you said something like this to a cop from Bike Safe, he would say something like 'If you do the Bike Safe course and think you are a great rider, your not' or something to that effect so I wouldn’t even bother mentioning it.

G mentioned that the cop has probably crashed less than him, I was trying to work out what he meant, is that better?
Or would you say not crashing at all means you gain no experience?
Either way it seemed to be a ride out with an authority figure who taught you to do what’s reasonable in a 30-40-50 zone etc.
I’ve ridden with some good riders and all have given me points on the road and given my own tips, I just felt that the course wasn’t a benefit to someone like G.

Luke wrote:
Just don’t listen to the little cock, mark. He's just being a tosser cause I slept with his mum while his dad raped him

That made me chuckle, but it’s a bit shitty Luke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 30 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
killa wrote:
nothing wrong with some critisium.

i'll join in too then

its spelt criticism Smile

<ahem>May I?</ahem>

It's "It's", not "its".

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:18 - 30 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delvard:
Thanks for the comment. I appreciate at times that I do come accross with a rather arrogant attitude.
This is rarely the intention.
Believe it or not, when it's bike related, usually it's because I have looked into the subject in a fair bit of detail in the past and thus am confident in the knowledge I have.
(Most of the time, anyway!)

fatoldtramp:
Just because I usually ride in a twat-ish manner, doesn't mean I can't or have a problem riding otherwise.
I do believe I can ride in a relatively 'safe' manner and still enjoy riding on country roads. However setting your speed so early before a corner loses a lot for me.
As for other parts of the riding displayed, I would consider them more dangerous or rude - so can hardly be considered to be using such a riding style as a basis for criticism.
I did not approach this day expecting to have a 'filtering battle' at over the ton, through changeable m25 traffic; thus did not complain when we didn't do that!
I would still consider doing an advanced riding qualification, but the lack of use of Brakes puts me off the most.

Creeping into junctions:
Depending on the vehicle I will often cruise slowly up to a junction.
While he was doing this, he would also then carry on at a very slow pace the whie line, into the junction.
It always annoys me when cars creep out, regardless of whether it is safe or not. While you may have good observation, I'm sure there's some circumstances still that could mean that you have to stop, stuck half way out - say a couple of bikes or fast cars come up behind quickly, followed by a big truck.
Ok, unlikely, but (as he didn't have short legs), I don't really see the need. Also stopped at a Junction I would expect is less likely to see you rear-ended than creeping forwards.

Killa specific:

Some responses to those that I haven't covered above.

They did make a point that they only had speed cameras on 30,40 and 50s - so even if they wanted to go faster, they wouldn't on these because they didn't want to get flashed themselves - and definitely didn't want to have a student getting a NIP while they were on bikesafe.
There has been cases of cops getting done for speeding - though in most cases I expect that rather than not speeding, they just make sure they know where camera vans are going to be, etc.

Thought I mentioned it, but yes, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was just measuring my 'smoothness' by my brake light - the times where I used it near corners, it was mostly very gently.

Personally, I'm definitely don't agree with 'the limit is the limit' as far as safety goes. However, I'm not sure I've heard of many people being done by police (rather than cameras, vans etc) in national speed limit areas when they weren't much over the speed limit.
Heard about quite a few people being let off with a telling off for speeds a fair bit over the speed limit. When I got caught, they suggested they wouldn't have bothered to chase me had I been just doing 119 in the outside lane, rather than while undertaking!

When he was doing higher speeds in lower speed limits - Well to be fair I'd rather they were realistic for a day even if I do get busted the next time I do this.

I actually went off on a bit of a rant about how you can't hold stunt days on private land because of insurance, though from a slightly detached 3rd person perspective - prefer not to give any police the view that I may regularly do naughty things.

I was initially also a bit confused by a couple of things in Killa's posts (ie was it painful (and thus 'slated') because it was badly written, or because it was long, or because he didn't like what was being described - though the situation has now become clearer).
Oh and while I did want it to be quite long, there was also stuff that I left out still - but I did want to give a fairly 'complete' view of how I found it. I didn't really like the presentation; did consider editing it, chopping bits around; but didn't have the time (thus it was posted about a week after I wrote it!).

As for the cop not crashing as much as me, I was suggesting that was better, at least from his point of view; as the aim of the day is to reduce the number of people crashing.

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 16:22 - 30 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

no point in addressing killa g, hes probably forgotten what the hell he was going on about Laughing

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 16:24 - 30 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
no point in addressing killa g, hes probably forgotten what the hell he was going on about Laughing

Luke

BROWN NOSE!!!11
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 16:26 - 30 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see it more as having a dig at killa actually Razz. Why would i have to brown nose someone who is already my friend anyway.

Smile

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 16:32 - 30 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lukey boy, trying his best to make everyone a friend.

I smell shit

Cheers for the reply G, you took sometime to do that without just making abusive remarks, cleared some points up to. Wink Thumbs Up

Last edited by killa on 16:34 - 30 Aug 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:32 - 30 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
someone who is already my friend anyway.

Oooo, duno about that, if you keep flaming in my threads :p.

(And, no, 'brown nosing' doesn't help Very Happy)

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 16:43 - 30 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
killa wrote:
Lukey boy, trying his best to make everyone a friend.

Laughing Yeah looks like it Thumbs Up

And @ G, fuck you then Razz Middle Finger

Luke

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 30 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up Gspot Thumbs Up

It's things like this that really fecking boil my piss tbh. The police go out and actively encourage 'progress', breaking the law in the process and doing over 90 in a 70 etc, expecting you to follow their lead and giving you a fake impression that being sensible will see you right.

Well sorry officer but that is one huge fecking lie Thumbs Down

I did 88 in a 70 on an empty dual carriageway in darkest Suffolk on a quiet Sunday. I got caught by a police 'biker' and subsequently lost my licence. ( I even doubt that figure of 88 by the way)

Basically if the speed limits are flexible then why are they not being policed that way? Fucking joke to be honest. Either it is the law and important or it's not and should not be policed like it currently is. There's no bloody consistency anymore and to think I lost my bike and nearly £1k and there's some copper on a police bike showing people how to do what I got punished for... .

/rant

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:45 - 30 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm - I or the other rider was leading in the NSLs - so he was following one of us.

However he was ahead when he was doing a highish speed in the 50.

Sadly the limits are policied 'flexibly', it's just how flexible seems to depend on the mood of the cop more than anything else Rolling Eyes.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 07:21 - 31 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazza wrote:

<ahem>May I?</ahem>

It's "It's", not "its".

yeah but mister gixxer already pointed out the missing apostrophe

and then i pointed out my missing capital letters and full stops

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:09 - 31 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
bazza wrote:

<ahem>May I?</ahem>

It's "It's", not "its".

yeah but mister gixxer already pointed out the missing apostrophe

and then i pointed out my missing capital letters and full stops

Only if you start reading from the last post and work backwards...

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 09:14 - 31 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Sadly the limits are policied 'flexibly', it's just how flexible seems to depend on the mood of the cop more than anything else Rolling Eyes.

I think Kris is right, this Bike Safe is recognised nationally, it's a shame its different for the individual.
Kris's incident was worse than mine, that sort of situation should be allowed a second opinion or something.

I remeber that statement made by that mini hitler in MCN "Drifting over the speed limit is equal to drifting a knife into someone" speaking about speed kills.
The Bike Safe training has no intention of training killers.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 3 years, 330 days between these two posts...

flamegrape
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:22 - 26 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review... thanks G!
I'm going to look into taking a course!! Smile

MonkeyKnuckle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 26 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad214/subtle_sarcasm2/Geek%20Manor/frog_bump.jpg

Redoko
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 26 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonny2010 wrote:
Great review... thanks G!
I'm going to look into taking a course!! Smile

They might have changed in the... 4 years old is this thread? Wink

But in seriousnessnessness I might take one soon, lower the insurance etc...

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 26 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I booked one a couple of months back, earliest I could get that's not miles away was the beginning of October.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

ulster exile
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:25 - 26 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the London Bikesafe course is far from oversubscribed....the Met were up helping West Mids police at the recent On Two Wheels bikeshow at St Andrew's in Brum and I had a Met officer take me out for taster Bikesafe session.

He told me that they have plenty of spaces left on their course when I moaned that the West Mids are way oversubscribed; when I signed up in April-ish I was told there were about 340 registered for about 140 places here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 26 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G, which officer did you have when you did this?

Was it Paul Mostyn that was doing the day? I had Brady Woods out on my ride. Since I was the only guy on L's it was a 1 to 1. You've done ROSPA since then haven't you?

Bit of a massive 4 year bump but I'm tempted to do bikesafe again!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:42 - 26 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afraid I don't remember, but think he was the most senior one there. He had a moustache I believe.

I've done some bits of IAM, but not got around to completing it; need more practice at doing their stuff instinctively; know what I should be doing generally Smile.

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 26 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moustache, glasses, dry sense of humor? Yeah I remember him. I also remember this guy Parris who looked like bob hoskins! He was sound as a pound

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 18:46 - 20 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikesafe-london.co.uk/team/

Fux me - he does look like Bob Hoskins.

My boss keeps trying to get me to go on one of these - we get them for free (probably because the biggest cause of dead rozzers is motorcyclists commuting to/from the nick).

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:51 - 20 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a free lunch at ace cafe Smile.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 18:54 - 20 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Well, I've fixed my outrageously-loose chain today after seeing a Rat eyeing it up in the yard, so maybe it's time I bit the bullet!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 215 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4