Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Languages - But how do I say .... in this country?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

mr.kris
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:26 - 21 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can onl help alittle with polish

not sure of polish speling so i will type it how is sounds

checht (hi)

dovid zenya (good bye)

narasha (bye)

yak shimash (how are you)

jenkey (thanks)

jenkuya (thank you)

poustac (to call someone thick or stupid) (means empty applying to there head)

sheepa donga (suck my dick)

cootass (cock)

nemos brava (no problem)

coulva (they use it alot for fuck or buger basicly means bad)

pleas not the females hate swareing and wont be happy if u use this near them i know this is a old post but hope it helps some one some time !!
TS50X---CM125---MZ150---Z250---RS125---ZXR250---BANDIT600---TRX850---TL1000S---CBF600---ZX6R---BANDIT1200S---CG125---VFR800---CBR1000F---CG125---CG125---CB900F---CB900F---CG125---TUONO1000R---KLR600---GSX1300R HAYABUSA---VFR400NC30

ZX6R & CG125 & CB900F now in use!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 21 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi mr_kris, check your inbox! Razz (top right)

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:26 - 25 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful words and phrases for basic holiday, eating, shopping, getting around situations, for printing off.
You can listen to the phrases spoken, or take a speedy beginners course.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/german/quickfix
https://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/french/quickfix
https://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/quickfix

Good for those that don't want to pack lumpy phrase books - nor spend on them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just dispense with all that lingo completely?

https://www.pocketcomms.co.uk/index.php

Such a simple idea... Thumbs Up

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 17:23 - 09 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazza wrote:

I wonder if it has a lonely planet-esque 'pulling' chapter. Sure to go down well at the club and later...

PoGs
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:34 - 15 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazza wrote:

Thanks Bazza

We have a number of sections in PocketComms which would be of benefit to bikers and if you look at our site links we have strong links with other biking clubs and organisations see https://www.pocketcomms.co.uk/index.php/links and feedback [url]https://www.pocketcomms.co.uk/index.php/feedback/2[/url] we have a number of bikers using it on their trips around the world and giving great feedback.

As a thank you I would be delighted to offer a strictly limited BCF discount of 10% just enter BCF001 when prompted.

See you on the road folks

PoGs

Shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sautee it. There's, um, shrimp kebabs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir fried. There's pineapple shrimp and lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich... That's, that's about it............

nautilus
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:09 - 20 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a brilliant idea. We're thinking of riding to Turkey through the Balkans next year & I was wondering how to get by without taking a huge weight of phrasebooks. I'll be putting in an order! Hope the discount still applies.

https://mogs-travels.blogspot.com

The Disapproving Brit
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 28 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwntifex - that cyrillic guide is really useful - interesting that a lot of words are pronounced similarly, and looking at the makeup of the alphabet, the language seems similar apart from the whole different-shaped-letters thing - i.e. that 'n' shaped letter is pronounced as 'p'.

Would I be completely naive to think that, if I learned the cyrillic alphabet, the language itself wouldn't actually be that much more difficult than any other?

early_911
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:45 - 07 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't see it, but does anyone know how to say (or more specifically, could write down so I can have in my wallet) something like the following . . .

Please excuse me but the petrol pump will not accept my British bank card and I am running out of petrol. Would it be possible for you to pay using your bank card and I reimburse you in cash?

I'm happy to give you an extra ____ euro's for the inconvenience.

You really would be helping me out.

Might be useful it I get stuck in a rural french petrol station on a Sunday (the ones with the automatic machines).

Phil

Cheers
Phil

lakonur
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:11 - 09 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some you may need in Spain:

Where is...? = ¿Dónde está...whatever?
Where can I find a gas station? = ¿Dónde puedo encontrar una gasolinera?
I need gas = Necesito gasolina
Thank you = Gracias
Hello = Hola
Hi = Buenas!
I have a reserved room = Tengo una habitación reservada
Please slowly, I only speak a little spanish = Más despacio por favor, solo hablo un poco de español
Bye = Adios
See you tomorrow = Hasta mañana
Where is a tapas bar? = ¿Dónde hay un bar de tapas?
Where is a cash machine? = ¿Dónde hay un cajero automático?
Where can I find a mechanic? = ¿Dónde puedo encontrar un mecánico?
I need help = Necesito ayuda
Please = Por favor
Excuse me = Perdone
Can I pay with credit card? = ¿Puedo pagar con tarjeta de crédito?

And now, culture words:

You see a beautifull woman = Madre mía! Shocked
You are angry = Joder!/ Coño!/Ostia!

Hope you use them!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

early_911
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:31 - 11 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I good translated my request above and come up with . . .

S'il vous plaît excusez-moi mais la pompe à essence ne sera pas accepter ma carte bancaire britannique, et je suis à court d'essence. Serait-il possible pour vous de payer avec votre carte bancaire et je vous rembourser de l'argent?

Je suis heureux de vous donner un extra ____ euro pour le dérangement.

Vous serait vraiment aider moi.

Hopefully this is okay.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 21:33 - 22 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this site...https://translation.babylon.com/ and I usually take a small book and pen with me, and get people to tell me the phrases, then I write it down and use it.

I also find wandering around supermarkets a fab way to find out spellings of foods I cannot eat/dislike, and funnily enough watching local tv adverts help pick up words.

Stoo
PoshBoy

PostPosted: 23:41 - 25 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone plans a trip to/through Romania I'll stick a few essentials up. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flipsta
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:17 - 28 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanish > Definitions vary on the region you're in... North spain, around Madrid (Middle) or in the Andalucia (where the costa del sol is).

Bits in brackets show how its pronounced.

Shops = Tiendas (tee- en- dahs)

Beers = Cervezas (Sir-Ves-as)

Clubs = Clubs (Clue-bs Smile

Petrol = Gasolina

Water = Agua

F** off you B*stard! = Vete a la mierda, cabron! (Veh-teh are lah me-er-dah Cah-br-on!) (Literally translated it means go to the shit, bastard - but it has the same feeling behind it)

Tits = Tetas (Tet=ass)

Beach = Playas (Ply-ass)

Good = Bien (Bee-en)

Bad = Mal (mah-ul)

Tus ojos son como dos estrellas en el cielo para mi. Besame guapa.

Your eyes are like two stars in the sky for me... KISS ME BEAUTIFUL! lol

X_FISH
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:03 - 14 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another german sentences that might be useful:

How can I get to [city]? - Wie komme ich nach [city]?

Where is the youth hostel? - Wo ist die Jugendherberge?

Where is the next camping site? - Wo ist der nächste Campingplatz?

I need help from the AA. - Ich brauche Hilfe vom ADAC [AvD]. (ADAC = the largest german "AA", AvD is a smaller german "AA")

How much for... - Wieviel kostet ...
_____

And as additional information: Since something about the end of the year 2008 the price for gasoline "Normal" and "Super" is nearly everywhere the same.

Normal = 91 ROZ
Super = 95 ROZ

For those people, that want to put "better" gasoline inside:

Super Plus = 98 ROZ

And there are a lot of brands like "Ultimate", "V-Power-Plus", etc. = 100 ROZ

Same for Diesel: Standard Diesel and the "Ultimate Diesel" - for those with a diesel engine in their bike. Wink

It should be fine to choose "Super", the other gasoline types are not necessary for the most bikes.

Greetings from Germany, Martin

pwntifex
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:09 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

timbstoke wrote:
pwntifex - that cyrillic guide is really useful - interesting that a lot of words are pronounced similarly, and looking at the makeup of the alphabet, the language seems similar apart from the whole different-shaped-letters thing - i.e. that 'n' shaped letter is pronounced as 'p'.

Would I be completely naive to think that, if I learned the cyrillic alphabet, the language itself wouldn't actually be that much more difficult than any other?

I wouldn't say Russian is a particularly hard language to learn once you've got the cyrillic down, no Smile
Helps at least to get the alphabet down though, if you plan to travel there, as you will need it for sure.

pwntifex
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:22 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

early_911: This is why you should never use translators, or at least use them sparingly. I'll try to translate them into English in a way that emphasises how unnatural those sentences sound...None of them are correctly translated (word for word, many are correct) but ignoring grammar makes them sound kind of funny, so I'll go for that:

early_911 wrote:
S'il vous plaît excusez-moi mais la pompe à essence ne sera pas accepter ma carte bancaire britannique, et je suis à court d'essence. Serait-il possible pour vous de payer avec votre carte bancaire et je vous rembourser de l'argent?

Please excusing me, but the pump of petrol will never not accepting my british bank card, and i am at short of petrol. Would it be possible for you of paying with your card and i to repay you of the money?

early_911 wrote:

I am overjoyed to give you an extra euro for the bothering.

early_911 wrote:

You would be really to help me.

Honestly, chances that you'll run into a situation like this is pretty remote, I'd say. Better just to talk in English, given the complexity of it, lest somebody think you're giving them a gift of cash Smile

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 17:58 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwntifex wrote:
early_911: This is why you should never use translators, or at least use them sparingly. I'll try to translate them into English in a way that emphasises how unnatural those sentences sound...None of them are correctly translated (word for word, many are correct) but ignoring grammar makes them sound kind of funny, so I'll go for that:

early_911 wrote:

Please excusing me, but the pump of petrol will never not accepting my british bank card, and i am at short of petrol. Would it be possible for you of paying with your card and i to repay you of the money?

early_911 wrote:

I am overjoyed to give you an extra euro for the bothering.

early_911 wrote:

You would be really to help me.

Honestly, chances that you'll run into a situation like this is pretty remote, I'd say. Better just to talk in English, given the complexity of it, lest somebody think you're giving them a gift of cash Smile

The online translation sounds like officer Crabtree,s French. Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DrAp5gzdqc

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FGhipZH7DII/SHJb6p3KQyI/AAAAAAAABWE/dl33cYKZ5fE/s320/crabtree.jpg
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pwntifex
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatters wrote:

Laughing "I was just pissing by"

gooner
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:58 - 20 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

nautilus wrote:
What a brilliant idea. We're thinking of riding to Turkey through the Balkans next year & I was wondering how to get by without taking a huge weight of phrasebooks. I'll be putting in an order! Hope the discount still applies.

Sounds like a great ride - be prepared to go the long way around though. Some mistrust still lingers between Serbia and her neighbours, particularly Croatia, and you wouldn't be the first to be turned away from the Serbian border by overly suspicious guards or just because they don't want you to use their country as a short cut. You can usually avoid this by pre-booking a night in a Serb hotel and having your confirmation paperwork with you.

That said, I've travelled quite a bit through that part of the world - they don't like it called the Balkans for some reason - and I've usually found the people of all the countries to be really friendly and helpful.

Top travel tip - they all learn English at school but most adults haven't had much opportunity to use their knowledge, so they have hang-ups about it and pretend not to understand. Find a 10 year old - it's almost a dead cert that he/she will speak English as good as you can and will be only too pleased to help. Offer the price of an ice cream (really cheap) and the kid will as often as not refuse politely - better to buy the ice cream and give it there & then if you can.

As with everywhere, learn the basics - hello, goodbye, please, thank you, sorry - and you will be appreciated for trying. Serbs and Croats particularly like the English people and our language - you will have a ball with them once you break the ice.

All the languages have their own nuances and regional variations (coffee is kava or kafu in Croatia or Serbia) but they all understand each other well enough and you'll be forgiven for not being perfect - they know how hard it is for the English tongue to wrap itself around their language.

Those basics? Hello is a variety of things (dobar dan, good day, dobra utro good morning, dobar vecher good evening laku noche good night and more....) but "Bok" will get you by - it means God and is widely used as a greeting in place of hello and goodbye. Please is "Molim", as is "don't mention it", thanks is Hvala - pronounced with the H and the V said hard, just as it is spelled, excuse me is "oprostite" said as it is spelled, 'oh pros tit tay'.

Beer is pivo - but beer is understood.

Go and enjoy .......... take a camera, the scenery is great almost everywhere and breathtaking in places.

qarka
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:16 - 24 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanish: Hijo de puta

Italian: Figlio de puttana

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 25 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a basic problem in learning a few phrases like "where is the campsite" - because they'll assume you have a grasp of the language and give directions - but you will have no idea what they're on about unless they point it out 100 yards down the road.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

gooner
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:39 - 30 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might hear these once (or twice) in a while . . . . . . . .

France Ami Désolé - Je ne t'ai pas vu.

Germany Entschuldigung - Ich habe dich nicht gesehen.

Holland Verontschuldigingik - had je niet zien.

Italy dispiace - che non hai visto.

Croatia Zalostan - nisam te vidjeti.

Mord
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:46 - 13 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit what I know..

KOREAN

Hello, Good morning = Anyonghaseyo

Prostitute = Chang nur

Whore = Shibseki

Suck my dick = Kochu pado

Beer = maek ju

Now you're ready to go.

woolly_moose
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 07:55 - 24 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I can do Italian- pm me for anything else you need

by the way, back in my day if you got caught speeding, it was my job on the pillion to do crying until they tore up the ticket. Probably less effective if you're hiding under a helmet, but back then the most protective clothing I was wearing was flip flops. PS- the road police have guns.

salve- hello
come va?- how are you?/whats up? (informal)
bene, e tu?- good, and you?

destra- right
sinistra- left
avanti- ahead
diritto- straight on

basta- stop/enough

troppo- too much
ferma- stop
piano- slow
veloce- fast
forte- strong/fast
multa- a (speeding/parking) fine

si- yes
no- no

per favore- please
grazie- thank you
di niente- you're welcome (it's nothing)
scusa- sorry

salute/ cin cin (chin chin)- both ways of toasting drinks/ saying cheers

dov'e (il bar)- where is (the bar)

mi chiamo- my name is... (chiamo is pronounced kiamo)

vorrei... - I would like...

birra - beer
vino bianco- white wine
vino rosso- red wine
acqua- water

tengo- I have

non capisco- I don't understand
non so- I dont know
non parlo italiano - I dont speak italian
sono inglese- I'm english

stronzo-arsehole
merda- shit

tengo una sbornia da morire- i have a bad hangover (I have a death of a hangover ).
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3