Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GATSO & Human Rights!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:02 - 16 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retro-Man wrote:
problem is your assuming a direct link between accidents and speed, if this were the case then all the accidents would be on motorways????

Quite,

We are permitted to drive at 'speed' on motorways by nature of their design.

Cars on each carraigway travel in the same direction.
No roads crossing etc.

Have you noticed that there are not a lot of pedestrians on motorways?

Dual carraigeways are normaly not through areas where pedestrians come into conflict with fast moving vehicles.

Speed is a massive factor in RTAs.

Last edited by Walloper on 00:18 - 16 Sep 2006; edited 1 time in total

helmethead
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:09 - 16 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

speed in itself doesn't kill. idiot drivers kill.look at those fools on that program "britains worst driver". each of those cretins had a full licence but NONE of them were fit to be on the road at all. YOU CANNOT LEGISLATE FOR FOOLS! You will always have myopic incompetent morons on the road who manage to get themselves and other people killed.Toughen up the driving test but don't criminilise those of us who DO know what we're doing. but hey-there'd be no money paid to the treasury then would there if all the pillocks were off the road providing the little hitlers in their safety bunkers with the excuse to put up more and more gatsos Mad

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:11 - 16 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry

There is absolutely no logic in your argument

You state speed is a major factor in accidents

you agree that the highest speeds seen are on motorways

yet you seem to agree that most accidents happen in heavily populated area's (towns and cities) where speed is far less than on motorways

as such speed can not be the the major factor.

You also seem to suggest that other factors such as road layouts and pedestrian activity are major factors in accidents which when added to the agreement you have indicated on speed means that you agree that speed is not a main factor when considering accidents and other factors are more dominant.

I rest my case M'lord
Rolling Eyes

Wallopers next post reads something close to
Quote:

Yeah but......No But.....Yeah but....well your a slag anyway.......

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:38 - 16 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retro man, retro man, retro man.
My next post: Laughing

As the string refers to our 'human rights'.
Get it back to basics then.

Is it not everyone's 'human right' to be safe when using our public highways?

Is not a 'human right' to expect vehicle users to respect the 'human rights' of others?

Are you not being a bit askew in your statement by saying my argument has no logic?

Or are you just being the Devils Advocat? Laughing

The thread pertains to a driver who, allegedly, was 'CAUGHT' overspeeding by a 'speed camera'.

His argument is not that, he was not speeding.
Or that his careless use of speed was safe or not.

He is bleating about his 'Human Rights' in a bid to get off with a speeding charge.

So I'm daft.

My next idea is:

Receivers fitted to cars and activated by 'New Companies' licenced to control traffic by remotely governing the maximum speed of vehicles.
And they will be looking to make a handsome profit by doing all this.

All because some people overspeed. Karma

helmethead
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:55 - 16 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh dear,walloper. you really must learn how to spell properly.your punctuation is as ineffective as your arguement.speed is not a major factor in rta. rank bad driving is to blame.i.e not signalling at roundabouts,no lane discipline,using mobile 'phones while driving,drink driving,driving while disqualified.None of these are prevented by your precious cameras are they?They are however,more likely the reason for crashes than speed.In fact, a coroner cited a gatso in Manchester as being a significant factor in a fatal accident.In this incident, a driver was checking his rear view mirror to see if he had been flashed and didn't see a pedestrian crossing the road-result:dead pedestrian.well done gatso-there to save lives-a sick joke!

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:33 - 16 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

helmethead wrote:
oh dear,walloper. you really must learn how to spell properly.your punctuation is as ineffective as your arguement.speed is not a major factor in rta. rank bad driving is to blame.i.e not signalling at roundabouts,no lane discipline,using mobile 'phones while driving,drink driving,driving while disqualified.None of these are prevented by your precious cameras are they?They are however,more likely the reason for crashes than speed.In fact, a coroner cited a gatso in Manchester as being a significant factor in a fatal accident.In this incident, a driver was checking his rear view mirror to see if he had been flashed and didn't see a pedestrian crossing the road-result:dead pedestrian.well done gatso-there to save lives-a sick joke!

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:52 - 16 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not phunie. Laughing

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:48 - 16 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
No roads crossing etc.

Have you noticed that there are not a lot of pedestrians on motorways?

Doesn't apply to dual carraigeways which share the same speed limit. Plenty of those have footpaths.

Walloper wrote:
Speed is a massive factor in RTAs.

Err, about 5% of accidents are caused by excessive speed. The stats are manipulated to come up with the claim that 1/3 of accidents are speed related, which is believed by the easily manipulated. Speed related includes things such as an accident due to wrongly estimating the speed of a vehicle, irrespective of the speeds relative to the speed limit.

Maybe if the police had taken some notice of human rights they might have targeted the few whose speed is excessive, rather than just going for the self financing option of trying to get money from everyone breaking a speed limit.

All the best

Keith

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 16 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inappropriate

Walloper wrote:
Speed

may be a

Walloper wrote:
factor

in some

Walloper wrote:
RTAs.

To put it in simple terms, there are people on BCF who ride faster and better than me; given that we were both on identical bikes, if I were to try and keep up with one of them (and keeping within the NSL) along some nice twisties, it would undoubtedly end in tears, a broken bike and a trip for me in an air ambulance...

One person's safe speed is another person's inappropriate speed.

phk6
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:46 - 16 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazza wrote:
Inappropriate

Walloper wrote:
Speed

may be a

Walloper wrote:
factor

in some

Walloper wrote:
RTAs.

To put it in simple terms, there are people on BCF who ride faster and better than me; given that we were both on identical bikes, if I were to try and keep up with one of them (and keeping within the NSL) along some nice twisties, it would undoubtedly end in tears, a broken bike and a trip for me in an air ambulance...

One person's safe speed is another person's inappropriate
speed.

here here, i ride my cb500 faster then quite alot of people who have bikes that are made to go faster and handle better then my basic commuter bike, and today when i had my new tyre fitted i was told that my front trye had a defect which "is not safe to be ridden on" and the guy advised me to get it replaced asap.
ill tell u some thing now i aint getting it replaced untill it needs replacing because if it was so unsafe to ride on i would of come off by now, infact i would of come off in the first few days of having the bike, i know exactly what i can do with that front trye on so i aint botherd for now.

any way went a little off topic there but at the end of it its not the bike that determins the speed of which you travel its the rider.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 16 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again I find deaf ears @bcf.

I made the silly mistake of mentioning safe speed again.

In this world that safety, most often, needs to be legislated.

People do not know how to be safe.

We are shown, told or ordered to be safe.

The unsafe behaviour of one lout can involve my friends, family or even me. NOT FAIR...!!!

It is not my idea that 30 mph in urban areas is safe. It has been so even before the age of 'Spin'.

I do not think race track or twisty skill makes one any safer than not being skillful on the twisties.

Safety is down to the attitude of the individual.

If one were to drive like a maniac all the time then the chances of contributing to an accident are increased by the rule of frequency.

Most folk here who winge about the 'law' seem to believe that it interferes with their personal freedom.

I disagree with this view only because people who want all the freedom in the world end up abusing the freedom of others.

It must be a balance or else freedom fighters should live in their very own 'free' anarchic country.

The guy in the story who was, allegedly, driving at 41mph was breaking one of 'our' laws. Those laws are there to protect other road users.

Anyone who can put a decent argument up against that will make a lot of money.

I will research and find out what 'Proper' law firms think of my chances at getting away with a camera fine.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:46 - 16 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
I made the silly mistake of mentioning safe speed again.

Pity we have no idea as to whether the 41 in a 30 was a safe speed. Merely that it was over the speed limit. Given the state of speed limits these days I would tend to take the view that the 30 limit had little to do with the safe speed.

All the best

Keith

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 16 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
Once again I find deaf ears @bcf.

Hmm. Thinking Wonder why.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 02:59 - 17 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that many accidents wouldnt have been accidents if the people involved had been going slower, they would just have been a near miss.

So although I would like to be exempt from speed cameras, Im quite happy for everyone else to have to slow down for them.

I think its quite nice that we only tend to speed a certain amount above the limit, so its just as if the limit was a bit higher.

If we had no limits, cameras, radar guns, I think more people would die.

Im sure some people can travel safely at speed, but not all who think they can, actually can do so safely.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:39 - 17 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
I believe that many accidents wouldnt have been accidents if the people involved had been going slower, they would just have been a near miss.

So although I would like to be exempt from speed cameras, Im quite happy for everyone else to have to slow down for them.

I think its quite nice that we only tend to speed a certain amount above the limit, so its just as if the limit was a bit higher.

If we had no limits, cameras, radar guns, I think more people would die.

Im sure some people can travel safely at speed, but not all who think they can, actually can do so safely.

Sense in all of this at last. Thumbs Up

I agree that I think I'm a safe driver and I'll bet most folk think of themself as being safe also.

So who the fuck is it that is going around having all those bloody accidents that our insurers keep charging us for by their high rates and premiums? Laughing

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:47 - 17 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
So who the fuck is it that is going around having all those bloody accidents that our insurers keep charging us for by their high rates and premiums? Laughing

Hmmmm

All the best

Keith

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 17 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, how did I get in there?

Embarassed

Fazerkev
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:18 - 17 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

so not ever crashing is the ultimate guage of being a good rider?
I was hit by a red light runner and we all know about diesel..
Back on topic.. I was done by a mobile at 61 whilst overtaking on a clear, open 50..
However unfair, I accept i was speeding and the limit was there due to a record or accidents.

Speed alone is not the main cause of most accidents. it's inappropirate speed.
ie 90 on a open quite road over the mountains may not be unsafe.
30 in a congsted town cente my be.

Motorway argument is rather childish, don't you think?... relative speeds anyone Rolling Eyes

We DONT have the right to speed aka break the law aka act irresponsibly when others are involved.. far too much self-centred egoism these days and lack of respect....

Speed limits are hardly an attack on civil rights.. they proctect lives and are not put down willy nilly...

Finally, I'll admit I speed. Though I try hard not to in 50's or less...and I won't go silly in NSL/Motorways.
Reason 1 is selfish: I don't want to have to pay loads on insurance..reason 2..it adds to the chances of having an accident

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 17 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazerkev wrote:
Speed limits are hardly an attack on civil rights.. they proctect lives and are not put down willy nilly...

I think you'll find they are.

Several local authorities have arbitrarily reduced speed limits purely as cash generators once their scameras are installed. Nothing to do with safety.

Fazerkev
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:22 - 17 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm mistaken, police can set up speed check areas where there has been a record of accidents and/or consistant speeding by a certain percentile... I just assumed the same for setting up cameras.. stupid me hey

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:07 - 18 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazerkev wrote:
stupid me hey

Bingo. Give the man a coconut.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 18 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

And again the peace rally @bcf quickly turned into a violent riot.....

This is just another example of why we need to have controls in place throughout our society.

They are with us in an attempt to restrain delinquencies of minorities from eroding decent civilisation.

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 18 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:

This is just another example of why we need to have controls in place throughout our society.

They are with us in an attempt to restrain delinquencies of minorities from eroding decent civilisation.

Was is wise to stop taking your medication? The doctors really know what's best for you, so do start taking it again, theres a good chap.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:16 - 18 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazza wrote:
Walloper wrote:

Was is wise to stop taking your medication? The doctors really know what's best for you, so do start taking it again, theres a good chap.

Oooo Matron.....

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 18 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:

You sound like the typical camera supporter, bending over for the clampdown Wink

I'm sure the police and government do see people who are activists against the current road safety initiative as annoying delinquents who wont tow the line. This is very much about people standing up to them and protesting against the unfair and poorly thought out speeding policy, don't try and tell me this is stupid. Of course these people are oh so 'selfish' as ultimately what many of them want is real road safety where we willl see casualties starting to drop.

Have you ever bothered to look at the (real) facts? They are stacked on 'our' side, all you are left with is "OMG speedophiles its the law"
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 227 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4