Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dentist - different thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 06 Sep 2006    Post subject: Dentist - different thread Reply with quote

OK,

Ironically, I posted in the other Dentist thread and now H ave searing pain. Laughing

Basically, since as long as I can remember, I've had to odd gum infection right around one of my very rear molars. I normally just drug myself up with painkillers.

This time it seems to be hurting more.

I'm probably going to go private purely for convenience, but what I want to know is, if it's a recurring problem can I ask the tooth to be extracted? Also, is there much, apart from prescribe anti-biotics that a dentist can do to help?

I always thought that it was best to let the body fight it rather than using broad spectrum anti-biotics. Or is something more specific used?

Cheers for any help!

SoulRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 06 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you view as its what i all ways do, let the body get rid of it and dont worry about it unless it doesnt go. However if yours is a re-occurring problem then get it looked at again.

As far as i know you can ask the dentist to remove trouble some teeth but i would speak to your dentist and get some professional advice first.

Failing that a rope tied to a door knob and bobs your uncle Laughing

Arfdog
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:19 - 06 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go get it sorted.

My wisdom tooth actually cracked in half in sept 1999, and I had no money (was a travelling) to even get it looked at. I survived on whisky, skunk and paracetomol for 4 months. It was excruciating.

I eventually got it pulled in January. It was so rotten the guy basically pulled it with a pair of large tweezers! Sometimes you need to get your gum cut away so they can get the root out, so I was lucky. in the end the extraction only cost about £30, and I was right as rain within 5 days. If I had known it was going to be so checap I would have gone when I first cracked it.

Anyway, tooth pain tends to get worse not better, due to abcesses and buildup of pressure within a tooth, which leads to infection and the tooth rots more. The whole thing snowballs quickly. So get it sorted right away, a wide antibiotic may ease the pain, for now. But it will be back and it will be bad.

* edit * And don't waste your money going private, unless you cannot find a NHS dentist in your area. Never had a problem with any NHS dentist.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 06 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly there's only NHS Dentist near me, and they have a waiting list.

I normally have very good teeth, always looked after them.

I'll be going for the consultation, then rooting through the Intranet, I think since the take-over we have medical cover, hope it will help with dental care too!

Suitor_Stu
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:31 - 06 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gum infections are *usually* caused by a build-up of plaque around/below the gumline and the crud that they develop (toxins and shit) damage your gum. This seems most likely since you say that its around your back ones where the problem is (these are hardest to clean given their position). Worst case scenario is that if you leave it, the bone holding the tooth in place will eventually resorb away and the tooth will be left blowing in the wind - however this happens over months/years tho so you shouldnt worry bout that!!!

If you go to a dentist they will most prob clean them professionally and just give you instruction on how to clean your teeth better. However, i have known a few friends who have had their back teeth taken out for convienience just purely cause they kept getting problems with them cos they didnt brush that far back. It seems to be based on individual cases tho - ie its not standard practice. Upshot being, go see your dentist and tell them whats happeing and discuss you options.

Stu

ps if you smoke, it makes you more prone to gum disease, but also makes it much harder to spot, so its also worth mentioning this too.

Yoshi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:12 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll sort it out for a much more reasonable price than a dentist Thumbs Up

https://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog2440/folder17464/img1828263.jpg

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update Smile

Its calmed down now. So the rush to see a dentist isn't so great now.

But I am going to hunt down my local NHS Dentist and get a checkup and some advice.

Thanks for your help!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1