|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Itchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Itchy Super Spammer

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:12 - 06 Sep 2006 Post subject: Work advice (trouble!) |
 |
|
Ok heres the run down of what happened,
I'm near the bottom of the organisation and hence ALL my work must be reviewed by a manager above me, and signed to the effect by the manager above me I rarely make mistakes this being the first mistake that is genuinely my fault in 4.5 months I used to be crap and made loads of mistakes but improved my game.
Thing is I ommited something in my work, this work was reviewed by my superior and cleared as OK , before I sent it out , the guy sent it back signed saying it was OK, I submit this to the
Inland Revenue
I get a call today from the tax inspector saying something was ommitted and he'll correct it for me which he does , this changed his tax refund into a small liability, (refund was £400 changed to a liability of £52) , to put this into context the guy makes £53K (and this year will make 92K.
If the guy complains what do you reckon will happen? , sure I admit to my mistake but surely the manager doing the checking above should have spotted it.
Anybody any advice on how I should play it incase it doesn't blow over? I'm not the backstabbing kind but want this job for at least another 12 months
That said that same manager lost 2.7K doing something else and is irreplaceable while I am.
Any suggestions?.
Thanks ____________________ Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mrs Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mrs Kickstart Brolly Dolly
Joined: 06 Apr 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:44 - 06 Sep 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi,
You should admit the mistake to the manager. From what I can tell the mistake did not actally cost him money (just that he might have though is was in for a refund). So I do not see that it should be an issue,
If the customer has lost real money then he will expect a refund which the company should pay (not you). Mistakes happen, you managers is a liable as you are, that why he gets paid more
Regards
Charlotte ____________________ Help fight the safety camera partnerships -- www.pepipoo.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| queen of string |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 queen of string World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Jul 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:38 - 06 Sep 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
yep, like charlotte said, front it. The company will just write to the customer prolly and say it was an unexpected correction by the revenue or summat. At that level of income I'd be surprised if he deals with his own cheque book never minds cares  ____________________ "Eat food, not edible, food-like items. Mostly plants." |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dodsi |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dodsi Dirty Carny

Joined: 06 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:46 - 06 Sep 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I fuck up all the time at work, they just laugh at me.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Itchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Itchy Super Spammer

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:47 - 06 Sep 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
the kicker is though I have to write the letter , and the manager knows about it and is pretty oops won't do that again about it , I was just a bit oh shit about it ,
and went on a ride to clear me head.
my thoughts were they are some of our biggest clients the company that this person works for ____________________ Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RickHolt |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RickHolt Traffic Copper

Joined: 17 Mar 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 16:15 - 07 Sep 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'd expect your manager to get a bit of a bollocking for not doing his job properly. Then he'd have to talk to you to go over what you did wrong. He'd be the one held responsible and has to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Wouldn't worry too much if I was you  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TL666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TL666 Trackday Trickster

Joined: 23 Mar 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:26 - 07 Sep 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
You should be ok as long as you take it on the chin and admit sole responsibiltiy for the mistake.
Don't try to blame others for not checking your work. Likely to land you in more trouble.
I hold quite a senior management position and am used to my people making mistakes in my department. Usually it just a case of counselling them to show them where they went wrong.
If you worked for me and told me what had happened I would probably be a little unhappy but I think your admission of the mistake would give you credance which in my book is the most important quality of any employee.
It is easier to work with a mistake that has been owned up to than one that someone has tried to cover up.
Don't worry about it  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Itchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Itchy Super Spammer

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:43 - 07 Sep 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
thanks for the advice , this ain't worrying me half as much as this potential sexual harrassment claim! ____________________ Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 32 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|