Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My new toy (D reg VFR400R)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 12 Sep 2006    Post subject: My new toy (D reg VFR400R) Reply with quote

Bought this yesterday for £100 from a regular at the pub I work in. It's an old VFR400R.

The bloke had just bought it for £80 and said the person he bought it off had had an accident on it, and had it stored in his garage for about 4 years (last MOT was in 2000 though:S).

The bloke has had it out in his drive for the last few weeks, and i took it off his hands yesterday...

I thought this would give me something to do over the winter, to clean it up, get it running etc... OR NOT.

I put my current bikes battery onto the VFR, syphoned some fuel out and stuck that in the tank, opened the choke, pressed start and.... VROOOOOMMMMMM. one working bike Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Started straight off the button. I then went to check all oils, etc:
Arrow Engine oil looked brand new (goldish/clean colour)
Arrow Front brake/Back Brake/ Hydrolic clutch, had all been drained, to a really low level off fluid in them all.

After bleeding some new fluid into the clutch/back brake, I started on the front brake, but I think the piston is nakered on the master cylinder as it takes AGESSS to come out again, and it sucked about 150-200ml of fluid into the system, with none coming out the bleed nipple Shocked and no leaks... lol

But ignoring that, I was out up and down my road, testing all the things on the bike... and everything works.

And the coolest thing is when the side lights are on, the indicators glow a low dim, instead of the headlight Twisted Evil

Only problem is a crack on the fairing panel (in picture) but i can bolt that to the fairing bracket.

Total things i need to buy for this bike to pass MOT (I hope) will be:
Arrow F/Brake master cylinder
Arrow 2 new tyres
Arrow New bolt for clutch master cylinder (had to drill one out)

Not bad for £100 Very Happy

and it's only done 21000 kilometers Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 12 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bargain of the Century Shocked Thumbs Up

Bastard

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 12 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

makes a change to the amount of money i put in the FZR Evil or Very Mad

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:21 - 12 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds so corny to have bought something from a geezer down the pub Laughing

Certainly does nt look like its worth £100, nice looking bike for a golden oldie.

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 12 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a conservative club, and members only (too lazy to type that earlier) and I know alot off the people who go in there.

Oh and the neutral light stays on perminantly... any ideas?

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:34 - 12 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummer wrote:
Oh and the neutral light stays on perminantly... any ideas?

Kick the gear lever down or up and it goes out Laughing

Seriuosly, maybe a short ciruit sitaution with an exposed wire causing the circuit illuminate the light all the time Confused

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 12 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be... will have to look tomorrow after work.

Was also thinking, the switch could of jammed (after not being used for a few years)

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:38 - 12 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummer wrote:
Might be... will have to look tomorrow after work.

Was also thinking, the switch could of jammed (after not being used for a few years)

6 years off the road could be anything Shocked

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 12 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will play tomorrow...

Might also acquire a battery that fits.

I also found a fully charged working battery in my garage today Shocked Very Happy

I was chuffed.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:44 - 12 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 bargains Rolling Eyes Some peolpe have all the luck Laughing

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 12 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm... whens the lottery?

2Smoke
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:09 - 13 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooOOooo NC21 with a full fairing! Thats rare! £100? Bargain Very Happy

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 00:15 - 13 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRACK BIKE!

re: neutral switch, I wouldn't be too worried about that, probably buried fairly deep inside the gearbox.

Sounds like a bargain, is it legit? No filed frame numbers etc Wink £100 bikes in pubs tend to be less than 'conservative'.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:01 - 13 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the V5, previous MOTS, everything looks ok Thumbs Up

even if it is a sack of shit, i can just break it, and still make a fair bit from it

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 08:05 - 13 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, another 400 V4 project on the go then? Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lee8040
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:09 - 13 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

so he paid £80 told you and then sold it to you for £100
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 22:40 - 13 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
Cool, another 400 V4 project on the go then? Thumbs Up

Even it is, whether it'll end up as shiney and as 'bling' as yours is a different matter! Laughing

Looks like a good deal Drummer, the NC21 was the first 'big' bike i rode! And i like Gaz's idea...track bike Wink

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee, he sais, as long as he minds making a profit he didn't mind selling it.

£100 for a working bike, i'm not fussed.

Just to update, i now have all fairings in my garage, after being washed. And am trying to get fuel tank off (having trouble disconnecting fuel line - really a 2 man job)

then the carbs will be getting cleaned

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 15 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Bargain of the Century Shocked Thumbs Up

Bastard

Incorrect.

This is a bargain that I picked up from TheBoyChris last weekend for the grand sum of £0. (cheers Chris, top bloke Thumbs Up ) All it needs is the fork seals doing as far as I can see. Whistle

https://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/micklivesey/gsx/DSC00747.jpg

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:35 - 15 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrmick wrote:
Incorrect.

Brick Wall

Odd looking bike, not sure if its my cup of tea and all of that, looks big for a 400 or is the NSR really really small Laughing

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 15 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Odd looking bike, not sure if its my cup of tea and all of that, looks big for a 400 or is the NSR really really small Laughing

Wouldnt be my 1st choice but I dont often turn down free stuff.

The 400 is massive.

Back on topic, thats a cracking price for the vfr Drummer. Thumbs Up

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 21 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get some free time today, so i decided to get the VFR out to do some work.

I've decided that next time I get a few days off work, i'm going to strip the front and rear brakes down and clean them all up, as i still can't get the front brake working.

So I pumped up the front tyre (again), put the new battery in (£23 - not too bad) and put rear fairing back on...

And went round the block... it rides really weird (being smaller then my 600)

But after a few small backfires the bike revs properly, and returns to idle brilliantly.

By the time I got home I noticed some smoke... I have an oil leak on the sump off the engine (looks like instant gasket has been used - blue goo stuff where gasket should be)

So looks like i'll have to get engine out, to replace some gaskets.

other then that, it rides like a dream.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:54 - 23 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have one of those!

Great bikes... Smile

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 01:27 - 24 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the words of Clubber Lang (Rocky 3).

My prediction: Pain.

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 09 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new front brake caliper arrived on saturday, and I had a few hours spare today.

So off came old caliper, and on went new one. After i got the old one off, i pressed the lever, to see loads of gunk come out Shocked, but i think that master cylinder, and piston needs stripping and cleaning (anyone know how?)

I managed to get a master cylinder off a newer VFR400 for £20.99 (inc. P&P) off ebay, so I slung that on after cleaning it. and started to bleed the system (only to break my bleed kit)

So out came the spare battery fluid over pipe I've had lying around, and do it the old method...

And one fully functioning front brake with adjustable brake lever Cool Very Happy Very Happy

So I pumped up the front tyre AGAIN, and took it out for a spin, to check brake, and all is good.

I also ran it till it got warm, so i could try and find this oil leak....

And it's not oil Very Happy it comes out, of what looks like a coolant pump on the left hand side of the engine. (indicated on pics)

There is some instant gasket there, so was wondering if i'd be able to take that bit off (preferably without draining engine) to replace gasket.

Also anyone got a haynes for the NC21 (or 30) that I could acquire?

Drummer
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 205 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4