World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 09 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are u a professional photographer?

Wink

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 10 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not on a camera phone, no. lol

it is an awkward place to take photos off mind you.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:13 - 10 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummer wrote:
Not on a camera phone, no. lol

it is an awkward place to take photos off mind you.

Then stand a little further away as the focus is out thats all Wink

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 10 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's out of focus because i moved, when taking the picture Evil or Very Mad

so anyone actually know what it is?

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 12:05 - 10 Oct 2006    Post subject: Re: My new toy (D reg VFR400R) Reply with quote

Drummer wrote:
...things i need to buy for this bike to pass MOT...

FYI add to that list a kph to mph sticker for the clocks. Hate for you to do all the work and have it fail by some jobsworth on something small like that.

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:51 - 10 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the water pump.... theres 2 seals in them, one that seals it to the engine case, and one oil seal that seals the drive wheel off from the pump blades.... if the oil seal is gone youl see loads of nasty white goo in the oil, if the others gone itl piss water out everywhere..... id replace both at the same time, only a few extra pence to do the oil one mayaswell while youve got it off, as you have to drain the oil and the coolant to do it. dont use gasket goup on bikes its asking for it to go bang in my opinion!

looks like a bargain though you lucky lucky bugger!! Thumbs Up

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 10 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats coming out, looks like coolant (and the oil is clean on dipstick), and am pretty sure it's coming from there. Anyone know where i can get some new gaskets from? or is it only from honda dealers?

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:39 - 10 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

any dealer should have a micro fiche (or however you spell the silly french word!) and be able to order in parts for you, doesnt have to be a honda one. id strip it first and make sure as ive never taken a vfr apart before and could be wrong, but they should be able to show you a diagram on the micro fiche, theyre all preety similar anyway Thumbs Up

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 11 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking at a haynes manual for an NC30, i've discovered that it must be the 'O' rings between the water pump and the engine.

All I have to do is drain coolant, and pull water pump out, but i loose some engine oil in doing so. But at least it's something easy.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 11 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullet wrote:
thats the water pump

Was thinking the same as its in the same position on the FZR.

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:05 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Bullet wrote:
thats the water pump

Was thinking the same as its in the same position on the FZR.

I noticed that today on my FZR too...

Ordering bits tomorrow Twisted Evil

and might order in a new front tyre

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:42 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummer wrote:
and might order in a new front tyre

Not a big fan of magazines but bought Bike for something to read on holiday. They had an article on tyres and the do's and dont's.

They suggest that you do not mix tyre brands or compunds as the front and rear will heat up and grip differenlty and may hinder the way the bike handles and rides. I ust admit I can understand this and agree with the philosphy of it.

If you are buying a new front that is the same make and type as the rear, the front will have a different level of grip than the rear and may cause problems.

IMO I would just shell out a couple more quid and get a matching rear as well, winter is coming as well remember Wink

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on how much the 'O' rings are going to cost me, as i can't afford to much. but need to ge the bike on the road, if i can get it to pass with a new front tyre, i only have to last about a week before getting the rear

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I just bought a PAIR of BT45's for £146.15.

And just ordering my new O ring for the water pump.

Mark_petty
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:53 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up cool not long now before its out on the road.

We will have to have a meet somewhere so I can test ride the bike Wink

It looks like you got yourself a bargain mate Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

O rings should be here early next week (which is good as i'm working all weekend).

Hopefully after i get the leak fixed, i'm going to take both wheels out and get new tyres fitted (for free Very Happy ) and while they are off, going to give it a good once over)

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:41 - 14 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY!

Fixed the oil leak. the old O ring was i place, and they put instant gasket around it Confused Confused, so after cleaning all the instant gasket off, and putting the new O ring on... No more leak.

I also put the new tyres on...

So all it needs now is an MOT Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Mark_petty
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:22 - 14 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:54 - 14 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Thumbs Up

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 15 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put all the fairing back on today, and took it for a ride round my road... only to get back to my drive with the smell off burning oil Confused Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad.

The leak is still there, so i'm completly baffled at where this leak could be. going to post onto 400GreyBike see if i can dig anything up

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 15 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont worry to much, oil on any part of the enigne will smell for a while once heated. Was the leak completely cleaned and degreased?

Just look for the leak to drip, if not then consider it fixed Thumbs Up

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 15 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found where the leak is coming from Shocked Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Looks like there was a hairline crack in the engine casing (above clutch shaft) and it had been filled (using a higher temperature form of araldite) and the bottom of the fill has cracked off, and is dripping.

So what could I use to fill the small hole, would need to be putty, and be able to withstand engine heat?

ROB_NSR
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:55 - 15 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you take it off and get it welded?

Or if you fancy a go yourself get some easy-weld (also known as lumi-weld) and a blowtorch, or even better, oxy-acetylene

Thats how I fixed the sump on my merc!

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:55 - 15 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummer wrote:
Looks like there was a hairline crack in the engine casing (above clutch shaft) and it had been filled (using a higher temperature form of araldite) and the bottom of the fill has cracked off, and is dripping

Is this the blue stuff in the pictures?

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/closeup.png

Bad luck man, I suspect that it may be costly or time consuming to correct.

A welder may be able to tack the crack and hinder the leak. How on earth would a bike be damaged in that area? Sometimes bikes are cheap for a reason, I now know that Embarassed .

If the leak is only piss poor, then who cares, part from the MOT tester maybe.

Last edited by Whosthedaddy on 17:58 - 15 Oct 2006; edited 1 time in total

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 15 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crack is on the actual engine casing, so the only way i'd be able to get it welded, would be to remove engine, strip engine, take in casing:S

Is there any putty type things available for this task, so I don't have to remove engine?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 199 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4